Michelin Premier LTX tires

:
Mazda, CX5 GT, 2014, wife has a 2014 Mazda3 GT
My CX5 will need new tires soon. It came with Toyo A23 tires. I have not liked them since I got the car. I never felt like they had good traction on wet roads or in the winter on slush, ice or snow. From my research, the Michelin Premier LTX tires look like they would be the best overall-based on things I've read on the Tire Rack site. Has anyone had experience with these tires?

I got them on my car, 235/55-19 and they so far so good and they go very well with my 8" wide wheels. I've had them on for a few weeks now and have been broken in now. When I first got them they were a bit noisy and then after a few hundred miles they got really quiet. They ride better than the OEM tires.

38795958555_7c4f249951_b.jpg

Oh yeah, so far I've only driven in the rain once and they handled very well, no slip at all.

My CX5 will need new tires soon. It came with Toyo A23 tires. I have not liked them since I got the car. I never felt like they had good traction on wet roads or in the winter on slush, ice or snow. From my research, the Michelin Premier LTX tires look like they would be the best overall-based on things I've read on the Tire Rack site. Has anyone had experience with these tires?
be the best overall-based on things I've read on the Tire Rack site. Has anyone had experience with these tires?[/QUOTE]

I replaced my A23s with just under 16,000 miles on them with the Michelin Premiers in the same size on my 2016 GT. My first winter with the A23s was not terrible, but I noticed some slides/skidding under wet/slushy/snow/ice conditions. This recent winter (my second with the Toyos) it got worse. I did some searching of reviews online and found that others were having the similar issues with the A23s.

The people in the tire shop asked me several times about why I was replacing my tires @ 16,000 and still with good tread life. I repeated my issues with the performance to several workers while waiting.

The Michelins had the best reviews on Tire Rack and were basically top rated in most categories. Continental (TrueContact) and Pirelli (Cinturato P7) were high rated and slightly cheaper but the Premiers seemed to edge them out in reviews. After logging 2,000 miles, I have not had any issues and I could not be more pleased with their performance.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase at 2,000 miles. My only issue is that these can be pricey compared to the competition. Tire Rack was running some deals when I made my purchase this past December (I paid $201.52/tire before a $70 rebate), they have gone up in price since then. My Cx-5 handles more confidently in adverse weather vs the Toyos. Handling, acceleration, and MPG all are the same to me so far in dry conditions. The ride is definitely smoother and less harsh compared to the Toyos.

Completely unrelated but I was happy when I checked out my dad's 2017 X5 BMW and saw that his came stock with these tires!

I put these on last year. I like them a lot. They handle like the Toyos but with less noise.

I have these tires and they handle like the Toyos but result in slightly poorer gas mileage. I have gone down 1 MPG since the switching. On the highway of all places, it is worse (about 2 MPG loss).

They seem nice, but can't justify them at $160/tire and only 8.5/32nd tread brand new. Seems they would wear fast.

They seem nice, but can't justify them at $160/tire and only 8.5/32nd tread brand new. Seems they would wear fast.

The treads are and depth has given me pause, too. I'm also looking for the holy grail of cuv tires. Tokyo Celsius, Nokian WRG3, are near the top. My cross contact lx20s with 3/32 left did me a solid last snow and ice we had, too, after 50k miles use! So I don't want to count them out either, and the firestone destination le2s did great on my Jeep GC, so...paralysis of analysis, lol, but the Celsius so far is in the lead imo

Just updated tire comparison table:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Michelin Premier LTX is the most expensive tire among all 225/55R19s for $212.97 each at Tire Rack. Other than high price, 8.5/32" thin tread depth is the major complain. I dislike the 44 psi maximum inflation pressure as any modern tires should be designed to handle at least 51 psi. Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus mentioned above has the same low 44 psi MIP.

General AltiMAX RT43 is the lightest tire at 24.4 lbs. The price is reasonable and is rated #3 out of 43 Grand Touring all-season tires in Tire Rack. I have it on my Honda CR-V and I highly recommend.

Just updated tire comparison table:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Michelin Premier LTX[emoji768] is the most expensive tire among all 225/55R19’s for $212.97 each at Tire Rack. Other than high price, 8.5/32" thin tread depth is the major complain. I dislike the 44 psi maximum inflation pressure as any modern tires should be designed to handle at least 51 psi. Pirelli Cinturato P7[emoji769] All Season Plus mentioned above has the same low 44 psi MIP.

General AltiMAX[emoji769] RT43 is the lightest tire at 24.4 lbs. The price is reasonable and is rated #3 out of 43 Grand Touring all-season tires in Tire Rack. I have it on my Honda CR-V and I highly recommend.
Super useful yrwei, thanks. Do you by chance have a comparison table for the 17" tires?

Super useful yrwei, thanks. Do you by chance have a comparison table for the 17" tires?
The problem for 225/65/R17 is therere too many! But I did post a small comparison table for a member once before. I can try to expand it when I have time only for you ⋯ :)

Continental CrossContact LX20 Tires on a 17" Rim
If you didn't have similar problems before the tire replacement, I believe you have a defected Firestone Destination LE2 tire. But if you'd like to change to other tires, here are partial lists of 225/65R17 tires in different categories for your comparison. Personally I believe T-rated Continental CrossContact LX20 Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire is fine and should be much better than O.E. Yokohama Geolandar G91A Light Truck Highway All-Season tire. But since the top speed for our CX-5 is 120 mph, I'd stay with at least H-rated tires as T-rated tires are designed for the top speed of 118 mph.

Light Truck Highway All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Yokohama Geolandar G91AP225/65R17
100H
280 B A44 psi10/32"26 lbs.OEM - None$200.55
- TR
Michelin Defender LTX M/S225/65R17
102H
720 A A44 psi10.5/32"29 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$154.97
- TR
Firestone Destination LE2225/65R17
102H
520 A B44 psi12/32"28 lbs.60,000 Miles
5 Years
$125.45
- TR

Grand/Standard Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Continental TrueContact225/65R17
102T
800 A B44 psi11/32"24.3 lbs.90,000 Miles
6 Years
$113.56
- TR
General AltiMAX RT43225/65R17
102H
700 A A51 psi11/32"24.3 lbs.65,000 Miles
6 Years
$100.25
- TR

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Pirelli Scorpion Verde
All Season Plus
225/65R17
102H
740 A A44 psi11/32"28 lbs.65,000 Miles$131.50
- TR
Continental CrossContact
LX20
225/65R17
102T
740 A B57 psi12/32"27.7 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$122.45
- TR

XL = Extra Load
TR = TireRack.com

Performance Category Rank from TireRack.com:

Highway All-Season Tires:
Michelin Defender LTX M/S - #1 out of 32
Firestone Destination LE2 - #3 out of 32
Yokohama Geolandar G91A - #24 out of 32

Grand Touring All-Season Tires:
General AltiMAX RT43 - #5 out of 41

Standard Touring All-Season Tires:
Continental TrueContact - #1 out of 20

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus - #2 out of 21
Continental CrossContact LX20 - #5 out of 21

Thursday I had my CX5 in to the dealer for its 35000 mile service. He said the tires don't need to be replaced yet. I told him the traction is awful in the winter. When there is a light dry snow and the road is slippery, on any curve or turn the back end starts sliding out. I really have to prepare for stops or it'll just keep skidding. The dealer said the Toyo's are good tires for most of the country, but not for here, Minnesota. Now, I'm also considering the Pirelli's.

I have the Pirellis. Only have 4K on them but they handled fine in the minimal amount of snow we got yesterday in central VA. I actually didn't hate the stock Toyos but I got only 25K out of them before they needed to be replaced due to tread wear. I chose the Pirelli over the Michelins for the extra wear rating.

Thursday I had my CX5 in to the dealer for its 35000 mile service. He said the tires don't need to be replaced yet. I told him the traction is awful in the winter. When there is a light dry snow and the road is slippery, on any curve or turn the back end starts sliding out. I really have to prepare for stops or it'll just keep skidding. The dealer said the Toyo's are good tires for most of the country, but not for here, Minnesota. Now, I'm also considering the Pirelli's.

Fellow Twin Citian here. No room to store a set of snows in the off season? I have Blizzaks on OEM 17" wheels for the winter. They are so much better in the the ice and snow than the A23's that words fail to describe it. I got the Blizzaks right after my first drive in the snow with the A23's back in 2013 when I got my new '14 GT. FWIW, I now run Yokohama YK740 GTX from Discount Tire in the warmer months. Their performance is on par with the A23's - that is, great handling - but they'll last a whole lot longer. Never had them in snow though, so can't vouch for that.

I put those Michelins on my 2015 GT. Outstanding tire! Wet traction and handling virtually equal to dry, and excellent in 1/2" to 1" of snow. Ride is softer than the A23s, and steering response is less crisp. Ultimate traction is surely equal, but that is not an area I would test often. There were quieter than the A23s. However, they would pack with mud and could not sling it free fast enough to keep me from getting stuck in the rain on a logging road into my land.

Fwiw i went with pirelli p7s and while hate is a strong word I scored nearly new Toyos off a coworker for i wanna say 450..this is when they were absurdly priced @269 per on tr..Pirellis have been living under my deck stairs and will go on at or about when the cx5 does..which maybe never and i end up taking a loss on them on Craigslist. Handling was poor, ride was composed but got weird over harsher impacts..they were quiet though. Based on the half price special they've oddly gone on roughly since gen2 rolled out I'd probably go again despite quickish wear, or conti trues.

Back