2017 CX-5 Wrench Maintenance Reminder in Dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVQ

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD w Premium, Soul Red Crystal
Im hoping someone here has successfully reset the wrench maintenance reminder in the dash after an oil change. I have a 2017 CX-5 GT, and I just did my first oil change at 5567 miles when the wrench appeared. I reset the maintenance interval in the infotainment screen, but the wrench continued to appear. After some research, I followed the procedure where I press and hold the dash illumination knob, and seemingly got confirmation that the wrench reminder should be reset with a flashing triangle thing, but the wrench continues to appear seemingly randomly. This morning I tried the dash illumination knob thing followed by another infotainment reset. Waiting to see if this solves the problem. I believe I have the latest infotainment firmware which I downloaded and updated myself after buying the car, from a link that was formerly active on another Mazda enthusiast site. That link has since gone inactive. Any help at all would be appreciated....including if any of you have a new source for the latest Mazda infotainment firmware. Thank you in advance.

I’m hoping someone here has successfully reset the wrench maintenance reminder in the dash after an oil change. I have a 2017 CX-5 GT, and I just did my first oil change at 5567 miles when the wrench appeared. I reset the maintenance interval in the infotainment screen, but the wrench continued to appear. After some research, I followed the procedure where I press and hold the dash illumination knob, and seemingly got confirmation that the wrench reminder should be reset with a flashing triangle thing, but the wrench continues to appear seemingly randomly. This morning I tried the dash illumination knob thing followed by another infotainment reset. Waiting to see if this solves the problem. I believe I have the latest infotainment firmware which I downloaded and updated myself after buying the car, from a link that was formerly active on another Mazda enthusiast site. That link has since gone inactive. Any help at all would be appreciated....including if any of you have a new source for the latest Mazda infotainment firmware. Thank you in advance.
I have got mine to turn off through the infotainment menus. Left most vehicle status or something. If that isn't working then your firmware might be borked.

I’m hoping someone here has successfully reset the wrench maintenance reminder in the dash after an oil change. I have a 2017 CX-5 GT, and I just did my first oil change at 5567 miles when the wrench appeared. I reset the maintenance interval in the infotainment screen, but the wrench continued to appear. After some research, I followed the procedure where I press and hold the dash illumination knob, and seemingly got confirmation that the wrench reminder should be reset with a flashing triangle thing, but the wrench continues to appear seemingly randomly. This morning I tried the dash illumination knob thing followed by another infotainment reset. Waiting to see if this solves the problem. I believe I have the latest infotainment firmware which I downloaded and updated myself after buying the car, from a link that was formerly active on another Mazda enthusiast site. That link has since gone inactive. Any help at all would be appreciated....including if any of you have a new source for the latest Mazda infotainment firmware. Thank you in advance.
The firmware for Maintenance Monitor is resided in PCM, Powertrain Control Module, which has nothing to do with infotainment firmware. When my Flexible oil change schedule was acting up I had to update the PCM firmware according to a TSB.

You have a GT and you have Type B Maintenance Monitor. You should follow the instruction of your owner’s manual. First you turn the ignition on without engine running. From infotainment home screen you select “Applications”、”Vehicle Status Monitor”、”Maintenance” and choose the “Reset” under “Oil Change” tab. Using dash illumination knob to reset your maintenance monitor is not for your CX-5 GT.

Also remember you have 3 maintenance items which will trigger the wrench indicator. Make sure to reset all three with proper settings either with Flexible, or with time and distance.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A6695AFC-04B5-4887-9344-6975B0420088.png46172CA9-EAEE-468B-A80F-D0EA36DBBF0A.png

Last edited:
Thank you for your help yrwei52. I reset the maintenance interval in the infotainment with the engine OFF and it seems to have worked....though I want to wait a day or two to make sure. I thought I resoved the problem once or twice since yeaterday but the warning seemed to return. I have to point out that NOWHERE in the manual under Monitor type B does it say that the engine should be OFF. As stated...I had done so with the engine ON and that seems to be why it didn't work.

Puyapim, I agree that generally the owners manual is wealth of information but in this case it seems to be lacking.

Puyapim, I agree that generally the owners manual is wealth of information but in this case it seems to be lacking.

Think workshop tech manuals/guides would have relevant information

Thank you for your help yrwei52. I reset the maintenance interval in the infotainment with the engine OFF and it seems to have worked....though I want to wait a day or two to make sure. I thought I resoved the problem once or twice since yeaterday but the warning seemed to return. I have to point out that NOWHERE in the manual under Monitor type B does it say that the engine should be OFF. As stated...I had done so with the engine ON and that seems to be why it didn't work.

Youre right that the manual doesnt say you need to do the reset with engine off. It took me a while to figure out as the 2016 CX-5 is the first time Mazda offers Flexible oil change interval and my original PCM firmware had issues. At the time I had trouble to reset, and the wrench indicator would be on for unknown reasons. But it does make sense as PCM firmware is doing the calculation for maintenance monitor when engine is running, hence a reset should be disallowed. Bad programming, I know. ;)

I took my 2017 Touring in for it's first oil change at about 5,000 miles, because the wrench light came on. Every couple of days, the wrench light will come on again for about a minute or so after starting up, and then turn off again. Kinda annoying, but not sure that it's worth my time to take it back to the dealership for something like this.

I took my 2017 Touring in for it's first oil change at about 5,000 miles, because the wrench light came on. Every couple of days, the wrench light will come on again for about a minute or so after starting up, and then turn off again. Kinda annoying, but not sure that it's worth my time to take it back to the dealership for something like this.
You can easily go to Maintenance Monitor mentioned previously to check status of these 3 maintenance items and see if any of these 3 has past due. If not, you should bring it to Mazda dealer at your earliest convenience to fix the problem.

I had this problem as well. I cant tell you exactly what was going on, but it seemed like it had to do with a bug with the tire rotation reminders. I had reset it a few times and then turned it off. For some reason it didnt seem like the dash recognized that it was disabled. I believe I was able to get it to stay off by turning the tire rotation reminders back on, resetting the mileage reminder and then disabling it again.

Regrettably, yrwei52's suggestion did not work. I got in the car for the first time since the weekend and the wrench came up immediately. I tried shutting everything off and putting it back on....we will see what happens now.

Regrettably, yrwei52's suggestion did not work. I got in the car for the first time since the weekend and the wrench came up immediately. I tried shutting everything off and putting it back on....we will see what happens now.
Sorry to hear that! When wrench indicator came up, what message did you see with wrench indicator? Was it Oil change due、Scheduled maintenance due、Tire rotation due, or something else?

Since Mazda uses Flexible oil change schedule as the default from factory since 2017 MY, many CX-5 now should reach or pass the first oil change. As the system has also changed a bit since then by using miles instead of percentage to show the remaining oil life, I got feeling that your PCM firmware which is doing the calculation may have bugs too. In my situation, the 2016 CX-5 is the first to offer Flexible oil change maintenance monitor but the default from factory is Fixed OCI. I was one of the few switched to Flexible OCI at beginning and soon I found out therere problems very similar to yours. The wrench indicator with Oil change due message was displayed even though there was 30% of oil life left. I changed the oil and did the reset, but the wrench indicator with Oil change due kept coming back! Not until Kedis82ZE8 who was very helpful finding me a TSB related to Flexible Maintenance Monitor and I took it to my Mazda dealer and have them updated the PCM firmware and fixed the problem.

Theres another thread related to Maintenance Monitor. Once he did the first oil change this weekend, itd be interesting to see if hes going to have trouble to reset the Flexible oil change monitor.

'Oil change due' vs. 'Service Due'

In my case the indicator says "service due"....but I had the service indicator off. I was only using the tire rotation and oil change reminder in flexible setting. Now I'm wondering if I even needed to do the oil change. I just assumed when I saw the wrench it was for the oil change. I didn't realize the "service due" was a separate warning. Adding to the confusion, the warning doesnt come up every time you start the car. It can be fine for a few days and then reappear. Last night in order to try and fix it i enabled the "service" reminder....reset it....then turned it off again. I also re-re-re-re-re reset the oil life monitor for good measure. Does anyone know for sure if there is a TSB for the OLM for the 2017 CX-5's? I dont want to leave the car with the dealer all day only to fin out they have less of a clue than we do here. I may just turn it all off and go back to manual record keeping! I sent an oil sample to Blackstone. I dont plan to do so all the time but wanted to know how the oil looks after 9 months and 5600 miles. That will give me an indicator of how far I can push it.

So I had some time today and I decided to pop over to the dealer with my 10 month old, 5700 mile 2017 Mazda CX-5 to have them look over my "wrench" issue. Long story short, the dealer told me that they would not look at the car without a diagnostic charge unless I could provide receipts for the oil....for the oil change I did myself. I have receipts for the filters....but not with me at the time. He then proceeded to change the Oil life monitor from Flexible to Fixed .....perform a reset....then put it back to flexible. Lets see if this helps. He pretty much minimized the whole issue saying the maintenance reminder is nothing more than alarm clock...and that my car requires an oil change every 6000 miles....not the 7500 I had my fixed interval set at. What a load of crap. Firstly Im sure if I was going there for service, he would have been telling me that "alarm clock" needed to be followed as if the warnings it flashed were from the mouth of God! Not so much if I do my own oil changes. THIS is precisely why I try and avoid the dealer at all costs. Most are nothing more that charlatans, grifters and snake oil salesmen. FWIW...I did oil analysis on my first change at 5566 miles and the analysis showed I could easily have gone to 7500....Im willing to bet more!

So I had some time today and I decided to pop over to the dealer with my 10 month old, 5700 mile 2017 Mazda CX-5 to have them look over my "wrench" issue. Long story short, the dealer told me that they would not look at the car without a diagnostic charge unless I could provide receipts for the oil....for the oil change I did myself. I have receipts for the filters....but not with me at the time. He then proceeded to change the Oil life monitor from Flexible to Fixed .....perform a reset....then put it back to flexible. Lets see if this helps. He pretty much minimized the whole issue saying the maintenance reminder is nothing more than alarm clock...and that my car requires an oil change every 6000 miles....not the 7500 I had my fixed interval set at. What a load of crap. Firstly Im sure if I was going there for service, he would have been telling me that "alarm clock" needed to be followed as if the warnings it flashed were from the mouth of God! Not so much if I do my own oil changes. THIS is precisely why I try and avoid the dealer at all costs. Most are nothing more that charlatans, grifters and snake oil salesmen. FWIW...I did oil analysis on my first change at 5566 miles and the analysis showed I could easily have gone to 7500....Im willing to bet more!

This is why I always do oil changes at the dealership (or somewhere reputable that reports to Carfax), during the warranty period. This way they don't try to come up with an excuse to deny a claim over incorrect maintenance

Not all dealers are like this. And your 2017 is under warranty, so there should be no diagnostic charge. As I recall the warranty protections afforded consumer put the onus (sp?) on the manufacturer/dealer to show you did something improper, not for the consumer to prove proper adherence to a schedule.

Even Mazda offers a 7500 oil change schedule package, so an oil change is not a requirement for the dealer to look at the "wrench indicator".

I don't know if it helps, but I would be sending a letter to the Mazda regional manager. It sounds like this dealer is more interested in getting money from you or mazda then offering any kind of service.

I told my dealer that I prefer to change my own oil and they didn’t squawk at it. Some dealers may have learned that putting fear towards their customers has the direct opposite effect of what they wished for.

Not all dealers are like this. And your 2017 is under warranty, so there should be no diagnostic charge. As I recall the warranty protections afforded consumer put the onus (sp?) on the manufacturer/dealer to show you did something improper, not for the consumer to prove proper adherence to a schedule.

Even Mazda offers a 7500 oil change schedule package, so an oil change is not a requirement for the dealer to look at the "wrench indicator".

I don't know if it helps, but I would be sending a letter to the Mazda regional manager. It sounds like this dealer is more interested in getting money from you or mazda then offering any kind of service.

I know this...I honestly just don't have the stomach for the fight right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back