How to tell if map updates are available?

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
I know how to update maps in the navigation, but from what i can tell the only way to check for an update is to insert my SD card and run the toolbox app.

Does anyone know if there is an easier check to see if the map file has been updated? As i understand it, it only happens every six months, but I hate to keep pulling the card to check for the update.

Hoping for some online link that has map version that i can check before going through the sd card/app process.

Thanks for any ideas.

No. It's every January and June.

Right, but that is still a 30 day window 2x a year. And the only way i see to check is to insert card, login, check for updates. And currently there is still no update for January from what i can tell.

And at least on my Wife's CX-3 I can't even find the map version info listed anywhere for what is on the card.

I tried the link above, and it says a map update is available as of today, Feb.1 2018.

I emailed mazda, they said they were working on getting on the servers, but could not explain why site still said available. If only they could understand that this is yet another reason to let us use our phone nav.

Navteq and tomtom would be dead now if not for automakers keeping them alive.

I emailed mazda, they said they were working on getting on the servers, but could not explain why site still said available.

alphadog00, thanks for bringing us the latest. Hope you won't mind if I piggyback this thread with a related question: How to tell if a new Mazda Toolbox version is available?

My Toolbox is currently at Version: 4.3.2002067913, since last July. Unfortunately I forgot how I got there, hence I don't know how to get to the next/newer version!

When I check the Navi Extras portal now, it's obviously incorrect, showing a stale version 4.2:
https://mazda-na.naviextras.com/shop/portal/downloads

If I check the Mazda Handsfree portal instead, neither the site nor the executable filename indicates what version you're waling into, which is scary:
http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/navigation-updatemymaps?language=en-US

Help appreciated.

what do you see after you log in? you have to open toolbox, then login... stupid design.

Yes this is exactly how I found out I'm at 4.3.2002067913. I used the 'Help' (question mark) button to show the software version at bottom left of Toolbox. But I forgot what I did last summer to get to this version.

alphadog00, thanks for bringing us the latest. Hope you won't mind if I piggyback this thread with a related question: How to tell if a new Mazda Toolbox version is available?

My Toolbox is currently at Version: 4.3.2002067913, since last July. Unfortunately I forgot how I got there, hence I don't know how to get to the next/newer version!

When I check the Navi Extras portal now, it's obviously incorrect, showing a stale version 4.2:
https://mazda-na.naviextras.com/shop/portal/downloads

If I check the Mazda Handsfree portal instead, neither the site nor the executable filename indicates what version you're waling into, which is scary:
http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/navigation-updatemymaps?language=en-US

Help appreciated.

Mazda Toolbox checks for updates when you first start it. I am running the same version as you are.
I agree, it's pretty pathetic software.

I am not sure what you are asking, but you have the same version of toolbox i do. The web site doesn't show version, but if you redownload and install, it will get the latest. The help also says it will auto prompt if Toolbox is out of date and an update is available. Probably how you got updated.

With an SD card in, you can then login and check for update (nav update) but as of now, there is not one yet. Maybe monday.

I am not sure what you are asking, but you have the same version of toolbox i do. The web site doesn't show version, but if you redownload and install, it will get the latest. The help also says it will auto prompt if Toolbox is out of date and an update is available. Probably how you got updated.

With an SD card in, you can then login and check for update (nav update) but as of now, there is not one yet. Maybe monday.

No need to reinstall, just run it. Watch carefully and you will see "checking for updates" for a second or so.

No need to reinstall, just run it. Watch carefully and you will see "checking for updates" for a second or so.

Thank you both! That must be it, Toolbox auto-checking for updates when launched... I must have updated it this way last time. I'll ignore those portals then which are probably for first-time users who don't have the toolbox installed yet. Good to know it's self-maintained!

The map update that was reported to be "available" last week; wasn't.

As of this morning, the February 2018 map update is live.

Download on gigabit Internet is very fast ... writing to the SD card is s...l...o...w.

CX-5 update is just finishing; the Miata RF LE is next.

BTW: If you have two Mazdas with the "connect" system; a single download will update both SD cards.

Back