So...I need some winter tire advice

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
So, I ended up having to drive in some snow and ice on Sunday and it was probably the first time I had some slipping issues when driving in the snow on my CX-5. May be because my current set of tires are 4 years old now? Not sure. But they did awesome when they were brand new in the snow which is why I never bothered getting winter tires before.

Either way, it made me consider springing for a set of winter tires this week. Most people who have seen my posts on here know that for the most part I don't drive in the snow if I can help it, but the Sunday drive and the prospects of some upcoming trips back home (in the mountains), etc. are leading me to think I might want to just go ahead and get some just to play it safe, although it is an expense I'd rather not have at the moment, but I want to be safe too.

As a result, I have some questions and concerns.

1. Even if I get them, I will still mostly be driving on dry roads. The snow/ice only pops up every now and then. I don't want to prematurely wear out the winter tires on dry roads if I can help it. Are certain tires better or worse for this? For instance I was doing some research online and it seemed like the Michelins might be better than the Blizzaks for dry roads and wear? Whereas the Blizzaks are probably better for the snow/ice than the Michelins? Would it be that much of a difference?

2. Any specific tire recommendations? Maybe some I haven't looked at? I was looking at some Blizzak DM-V2, WS80, Michelin X-ice XI2. Again, I don't want to get too expensive, so something reasonable. Those Nokians were too much. And the Blizzaks definitely don't have any deals.

3. Price is a concern. Noticed Discount Tire had a $75 off winter tires promotion for anything not Blizzaks. So the Michelins were basically $536 for everything. No I would not be getting a second set of wheels (not now anyway). Makes me lean that direction. The Blizzaks on the other hand are closer to $653

4. Since I would be keeping my old tires, do they take off the disposal fee? Would make it $526.

Thanks all.

Again, haven't yet decided if I am going to or not, but if I decide to pick some up, just trying to figure out which.

Last edited:
Even if I get them, I will still mostly be driving on dry roads. The snow/ice only pops up every now and then. I don't want to prematurely wear out the winter tires on dry roads if I can help it. Are certain tires better or worse for this? For instance I was doing some research online and it seemed like the Michelins might be better than the Blizzaks for dry roads and wear? Whereas the Blizzaks are probably better for the snow/ice than the Michelins? Would it be that much of a difference?

this question right here in particular is why I've been very happy with the yokohama winter tires I bought. i scored an awesome deal on them ($500 for an almost new set) after a friend recommended the brand to me. he has been driving for 5-6 years every season on those winter tires, and I swear to god that they still look brand new. I have no idea how yokohama did it with soft winter tread, but he drives the absolute s*** out of those tires and they are completely unphased even after like 6 years.

the ones I am talking about in particular are the yokohama iceguard ig52c. I liked these because they have this slush siping pattern in them which works absolutely excellent in slushy snow - the grip is phenomenal. to sum up my little review, these tires basically sacrificed some deep-snow traction to be a better all-around winter tire, and I think yokohama did an excellent job with that. the tires gripped predictably in rain, were notably smooth and quiet on dry pavement (much quieter than blizzaks and far better treadwear) and the way these tires put down power in slush is just insane. I actually put these winter tires onto my RWD BMW, so I can only imagine how yokohamas would feel on a Mazda, because they manufacture OEM tires for them.

im on the same boat as you here, in toronto whenever it does snow it's very random and this year it's been much more consistent and snowy than the last several years here. plus the roads get salted after it snows, which turns everything into a slushy mess so I am very happy with the timing when buying these tires off the classified section.

Last edited:
Have you considered just replacing with good all-seasons? If you were happy before when they were new... and they're four years old [high miles?]... and you're not in snow often... just another option.

yokohama iceguard ig52c.

Thanks, I'll take a look at these. I haven't seen them around locally though.

Have you considered just replacing with good all-seasons? If you were happy before when they were new... and they're four years old [high miles?]... and you're not in snow often... just another option.

Eh...the treadlife is still good on mine, so while they certainly aren't brand new, they aren't EOL either. If I was to get another set, it would be for winter, and then I'd put these back on in April or May. Doesn't make sense for me to have 2 sets of all seasons.

Last edited:
Eh...the treadlife is still good on mine, so while they certainly aren't brand new, they aren't EOL either. If I was to get another set, it would be for winter, and then I'd put these back on in April or May. Doesn't make sense for me to have 2 sets of all seasons.

I'm just suggesting that it might be cheaper in the long run to just have the one set, and keep them fresh, rather than getting a few years more out of your current set. The expense of remounting 2x/yr is not insignificant. Plus avoiding the time and hassle. Everyone's situation is different.

But I'm totally with you on not wanting to throw away anything that still has some good life in it. Sometimes the finances don't make sense. A lose/lose, sort of. Except that you'll have new tires, whichever route you take.

I'm just suggesting that it might be cheaper in the long run to just have the one set, and keep them fresh, rather than getting a few years more out of your current set. The expense of remounting 2x/yr is not insignificant. Plus avoiding the time and hassle. Everyone's situation is different.

But I'm totally with you on not wanting to throw away anything that still has some good life in it. Sometimes the finances don't make sense. A lose/lose, sort of. Except that you'll have new tires, whichever route you take.

I get what you're saying, and I do appreciate the advice.

Tires have 41,800 miles on them. So they still have plenty of regular road life in them (they are 65,000 mile tires, and the wear seems to fit).

I don't know lol

Hey CD, I'm in the middle of my 3rd season using Michelin X-Ice Xi2's so I'll chime in. I'm happy with them. About 7500 miles on them now. Originally had 11/32" tread depth, now at a strong 9/32". Here in Indiana not so much snow the first two winters, more so far this year. No ill effects driving on dry roads. Ice and moderate snow depth traction is very good. Haven't had them in the real deep stuff but there I suspect the Blizzak's are better. The Xi2's are quieter than my OE Toyo's but a lot of that is because I went from 19's to 16's so I have a lot more sidewall isolation.

Prior to my CX-5, I had an '01 Escape AWD with all seasons (mostly Firestone Destination LE). For where I live, I'll take my FWD CX-5 with the winters over the AWD and all seasons. As long as the temperature in your area doesn't get too much above 45 F for too much of the time (that will wear a winter tire faster than dry roads imho) I think you'd like them.

Last edited:
Hey CD, I'm in the middle of my 3rd season using Michelin X-Ice Xi2's so I'll chime in. I'm happy with them. About 7500 miles on them now. Originally had 11/32" tread depth, now at a strong 9/32". Here in Indiana not so much snow the first two winters, more so far this year. No ill effects driving on dry roads. Ice and moderate snow depth traction is very good. Haven't had them in the real deep stuff but there I suspect the Blizzak's are better. The Xi2's are quieter than my OE Toyo's but a lot of that is because I went from 19's to 16's so I have a lot more sidewall isolation.

Prior to my CX-5, I had an '01 Escape AWD with all seasons (mostly Firestone Destination LE). For where I live, I'll take my FWD CX-5 with the winters over the AWD and all seasons. As long as the temperature in your area doesn't get too much above 45 F for too much of the time (that will wear a winter tire faster than dry roads imho) I think you'd like them.

Hey Brillo, I appreciate the post.

So I guess the one thing I can say is that we will have plenty of days/weeks in the 50's and 60's, sometimes even 70's. So if that wears them out, don't know...

As for snow, I don't expect to ever need deep snow traction. So I appreciate the feedback on that tire.

It's kinda hard, our winters swing wildly in temperature from week to week. I mean days in the 60's and 70's are not unreasonable.

Got another idea for you. If you don't expect any deep snow, I'm assuming you're mostly worried about the rare occurrence of ice. If so, how about fuggedabout new tires, and get 2 sets of cable chains. Sure they're a pain to use, but you may never have to. Real cheap insurance. Waaay cheaper than tires.

That's what I did when I was stuck with FWD. Never used them, and figured it was money well spent. GLAD I never used them.

And keep those 70s coming!

ColoradoDriver, if I were you Id take shadonozs suggestion getting a new set of good all-season tires such as General AltiMax RT43.

What are your current all-season tires? You need to actually measure the depth of the tread of your current tires. If its below 5/32 it definitely will affect the tire performance during winter conditions . 41,800 miles on 65,000-mile tire is not new. It only makes sense if you put winter tires on separate rims. Mount and de-mount with balancing twice a year simply costs too much.

What is your tire size? BTW.
I would also second the suggestion of replacing your all seasons instead. It may have 30% life still left but the added cost of mounting twice an year adds fast to cost. Not sure if you need TPMS sensors or you have the wheel based system.
Another suggestion will be if you have 5/32 depth remaining at least, not ideal but if you drive carefully then you can go thru this winter and perhaps the coming summer. End of 2018 you can make a choice as by then you will definitely need a new set. Even if you put winter now I would assume you might still need to buy another set end of summer 2018 for next summer of 2019.

You are right on the cusp of needing new AS tires. Sure, they might be rated for 65k, the next thing you need to wait for is spring wet season hydroplaning. The situation does not get better.

If it were me, and I was faced with the circumstances you describe, I would do a new set of Generals AS now. It will delay the need for a second set and since you do not have a second set of rims, tires and tpms, lowers your immediate out of pocket expense. You know your driving habits and limitations best. AS tires did well for your first 35k, no reason you could not repeat that experience. And then perhaps source a set of used steel rims and snow tires in the future.

You are right on the cusp of needing new AS tires. Sure, they might be rated for 65k, the next thing you need to wait for is spring wet season hydroplaning. The situation does not get better.

If it were me, and I was faced with the circumstances you describe, I would do a new set of Generals AS now. It will delay the need for a second set and since you do not have a second set of rims, tires and tpms, lowers your immediate out of pocket expense. You know your driving habits and limitations best. AS tires did well for your first 35k, no reason you could not repeat that experience. And then perhaps source a set of used steel rims and snow tires in the future.
But there's still plenty of tread left for non winter months. I really don't see them hydroplaning.

You know I'll do this. When I leave the house today I'll take a penny with me and see what they are actually at.

Either way, appreciate the advice, thanks.

not necessarily. Having two sets helps to keep miles off each set, so in the long run you really arent spending much money for the added safety and security.

like you said, everyones situation is different, but for me personally I will take the added security and safety of the winter tires everyday. they prove their value whenever it snows big-time.

Got another idea for you. If you don't expect any deep snow, I'm assuming you're mostly worried about the rare occurrence of ice. If so, how about fuggedabout new tires, and get 2 sets of cable chains. Sure they're a pain to use, but you may never have to. Real cheap insurance. Waaay cheaper than tires.

That's what I did when I was stuck with FWD. Never used them, and figured it was money well spent. GLAD I never used them.

And keep those 70s coming!

If you go this route, you only need one set. Found in the OM:

Tire chains
Install tire chains to the front tires.
Do not use tire chains on the rear
wheels.
 Do not drive the vehicle faster than
30 km/h (19 mph) with the tire chains
installed.
 Do not drive the vehicle with tire chains
on road conditions other than snow or
ice.

I'll vote for the Blizzacks obvs since that's what I have.
The Michelins are nice, too, though.
Odd that ONLY Blizzak had the $70 off when I was shopping.
You obvs aren't shopping on Tirerack are you brother?? Set of my Blizzaks are under $497. The IceX 2 are $510.
I actually got a price on Tirerack. Then I thought: Man, I'm spending a lot of money here. I should get a local shop to give me a quote. Called the local Firestone that I know carries the Blizzak. Very honest guy answers the phone:
"I have a quote on tires from Tirerack but thought I'd give you a chance to beat or even come close to the price".
He says: "Just get the Tirerack tires. Honestly... THAT'S WHERE WE ORDER FROM."

As for the "added expense" of swapping tires: $140 a year? That's nothing to us. Come on guys. We average $93K a year*. I don't think that's a burden to most of us.

Also re: AS tires. Agree. Just because they are 65K tires and you have 40K on them... that means NOTHING. My "60K tires" <-Notice in quotes on my last car. Yea, right. They were WELL worn at 40K and got replaced. Don't trust that as gospel.

*According to Mazda at least for the 16 model year the average income of a CX-5 buyer was $93K...seriously

I'll vote for the Blizzacks obvs since that's what I have.
The Michelins are nice, too, though.
Odd that ONLY Blizzak had the $70 off when I was shopping.
You obvs aren't shopping on Tirerack are you brother?? Set of my Blizzaks are under $497. The IceX 2 are $510.
I actually got a price on Tirerack. Then I thought: Man, I'm spending a lot of money here. I should get a local shop to give me a quote. Called the local Firestone that I know carries the Blizzak. Very honest guy answers the phone:
"I have a quote on tires from Tirerack but thought I'd give you a chance to beat or even come close to the price".
He says: "Just get the Tirerack tires. Honestly... THAT'S WHERE WE ORDER FROM."

As for the "added expense" of swapping tires: $140 a year? That's nothing to us. Come on guys. We average $93K a year*. I don't think that's a burden to most of us.

Also re: AS tires. Agree. Just because they are 65K tires and you have 40K on them... that means NOTHING. My "60K tires" <-Notice in quotes on my last car. Yea, right. They were WELL worn at 40K and got replaced. Don't trust that as gospel.

*According to Mazda at least for the 16 model year the average income of a CX-5 buyer was $93K...seriously

Huh, you're right. They show out of stock though. Guess they are popular.

I still need to check my treadlife then. They looked good to me, but I haven't actually measured yet.

Huh...that $93k number is funny. I think I was making $46k 5 years ago when I bought mine. Now adays...uhhh. ;)

Something not often mentioned is how well snows do in the wet, too. I was driving through some pretty strong rain on the freeway and the car felt more planted then anything I've ever driven.

I think DM-V2s in my CX-5 are better in the snow than my X-Ice Xi2s on my GX but I think the latter do better in icy conditions. The Michelin's also have a 40k mile treadware warranty. I think I will see more seasons on the X-Ice even with dry road exposure. They almost seem closer to an all season tire to me than the Blizzaks. Don't get me wrong...I like both...just my subjective opinion :)

Just drove my mother's Jeep with AS. Wow. Yeah, they're not great. What a difference and an eye opening experience. You reading Monterra? LOL.
Wife was behind me in my car.
"Did you slip at all?"
"No, not once".
[emoji106]

Back