So...I need some winter tire advice

I think DM-V2s in my CX-5 are better in the snow than my X-Ice Xi2s on my GX but I think the latter do better in icy conditions. The Michelin's also have a 40k mile treadware warranty. I think I will see more seasons on the X-Ice even with dry road exposure. They almost seem closer to an all season tire to me than the Blizzaks. Don't get me wrong...I like both...just my subjective opinion :)

Thank you, this is very helpful. I'm less worried about deep snow (won't have much), and more worried about the ice, which is what I had issues with that Sunday.

Just drove my mother's Jeep with AS. Wow. Yeah, they're not great. What a difference and an eye opening experience. You reading Monterra? LOL.
Wife was behind me in my car.
"Did you slip at all?"
"No, not once".
[emoji106]

I'm still of the opinion my all seasons were fine the first 3 years I had them. But the past 2 snow storms had ice and this last one I drove in and my tires just couldn't handle it this go around.

I DON'T think driving AS makes you dangerous like some people here do. I drove AS most of my life in very bad conditions. Never once had an accident. Or slid off a road. I know how to drive. I'm good at it. And you just do things differently. Smarter. Avoid the freeway. Take back roads. Just don't go out.
BUT... driving 2 nearly new AWD cars on the same snow covered roads within an hour of each other, 1 with snows and 1 without: it was not just a little different. I made the right choice for my situation.

I DON'T think driving AS makes you dangerous like some people here do. I drove AS most of my life in very bad conditions. Never once had an accident. Or slid off a road. I know how to drive. I'm good at it. And you just do things differently. Smarter. Avoid the freeway. Take back roads. Just don't go out.
BUT... driving 2 nearly new AWD cars on the same snow covered roads within an hour of each other, 1 with snows and 1 without: it was not just a little different. I made the right choice for my situation.

Makes sense. Cheers (drinks)

yo CD- do you remember the conversation with Uno about 4-6 months ago? he was considering getting the Nokian All-Weather tires due to infrequent snow and ice he experiences down south. Here is a set for about $500 before shipping charges. Really not that much more expensive than the highly rated General Altimax All-Seasons.

https://simpletire.com/nokian-225-65r17-t428832-tires

Edit- shipping appears to be free from the site i listed...

yo CD- do you remember the conversation with Uno about 4-6 months ago? he was considering getting the Nokian All-Weather tires due to infrequent snow and ice he experiences down south. Here is a set for about $500 before shipping charges. Really not that much more expensive than the highly rated General Altimax All-Seasons.

https://simpletire.com/nokian-225-65r17-t428832-tires

Edit- shipping appears to be free from the site i listed...

Cool, will check these out as well. Cheers B-n-B! (drinks)

So you guys were right. I went out and checked my tread and it's actually lower than I thought. Still technically fine and not in the oh my god replace now levels, but it explains why my traction sucked. Guess they don't have plenty of life in them left. I will probably just replace these with a new set and then look at winters next winter if I need them.

So you guys were right. I went out and checked my tread and it's actually lower than I thought. Still technically fine and not in the oh my god replace now levels, but it explains why my traction sucked. Guess they don't have plenty of life in them left. I will probably just replace these with a new set and then look at winters next winter if I need them.

You probably won't need them. New rubber is softer and thus stickier. Congratulations on saving a bunch a scratch!

Cheers. (drinks)

Now to decide what I want to replace these with.

Sounds like you can wait until September or so, making them even fresher for next winter. (cheers)

Those mileage ratings are always a fantasy. (wow)

Colorado, If you are going for winter tires next season I recommend you get a set of summer tires for the spring & summer. this is what I have been doing with my BMW, and all I can say is having optimal grip year-round is wonderful for the spirited driver.. :)

Back