CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are missing the end game point here.

Most average (majority) consumers wouldn't have a clue about this but will buy a CX-5 anyway.

It's minority consumers like us who have some knowledge and frequent sites like this that wonder about this sort of stuff.

Finally it's pretty much a done deal so no matter how much some of us dislike it, it's coming and only a matter of time for it to be added to the final vehicle with a 2.5L - the Mazda 3

If it eventually becomes a monumental stuff up and I get affected then I will take my lumps. But it seems less likely.

That's a thing. It's unavoidable. So some people might decide to skip being guinea pigs.

Key word is some. Most won't and will buy it.

For those who won't buy it good for you.

For those who will buy it good for you too.

Best wishes to those who will by a 2017 model or 2018 model.

Last edited:
Key word is some. Most won't and will buy it.

For those who won't buy it good for you.

For those who will buy it good for you too.

Best wishes to those who will by a 2017 model or 2018 model.

Mazda put a lot of tech in the engine to get the various iterations of skyactiv to work reliably. They kept tweaking or adding electronic or electromechanical controls to offset every tweak that failed with other vendors. So maybe they have some tech to help with cylinder deactivation and they just don't want to publicize it and expose it so readily to the competition.

Interesting article here on how they do this with skyactiv - lots of add on systems to improve on what others have done and fix issues others have run into

http://www.autoserviceprofessional....t-is-and-what-it-has-meant-to-engine-packages

This thread is just going around in circles now with the handful trying to convince the rest that COD is bad by repeating the same verbiage over and over. Some of these posts seem like cut and paste regurgitations.

What I especially like is how much some posters know about the system and how it works yet they don’t own one nor drive one.

Ultimately it wouldn't stop me from buying it but my feeling like many others is why bother for so little upside and while sky-x tech is good bit more risky but I'd be all over that..for the huge upside in efficiency via spark assisted compression ignition. But honestly I'd avoid either if I wanted bulletproof engine reliability for idk 100k and beyond- just throwing out a number. Wife's Pilot had it was not imperceptible and didn't seem to be all that helpful- thing was a dopey ass pig and a poor choice! Didn't keep it long enough to flesh out potential issues ~2yrs ~35k
I'd way sooner buy an 18 CX-5 w/CD than pretty much anything with a CVT though:)

Last edited:
How many people in this thread own a CX-5 with cylinder deactivation? Any?

How would owning a Mazda with cylinder deactivation give someone any insight into the technology? It's not like Mazda puts a detailed engineering explanation into their owner's manuals.

As far as I can tell, this thread can be reduced to three viewpoints:

1. The Pessimist: There's an inherent problem with this technology. All the manufacturers who have tried it so far have run into similar problems as their vehicles rack up the miles. It has resulted in class action lawsuits and frustrated owners. Mazda hasn't said a word about the problems associated with cylinder deactivation and what they might be doing to overcome them. So why should I assume Mazda engines will fare any better?

2. The Optimist: Mazda excels at engine development and must have solved the problem but they're just keeping it a trade secret. They surely have seen the problems that other manufacturers have experienced, and the class action law suits, and they would be crazy to go down this path if they didn't have a solution.

3. The Realist: Mazda is aware of the problems, doesn't have a silver bullet solution, but has a way to limit or manage the problem so that it affects fewer people and shows up later. If I lease or plan to trade-in in a few years, I'm golden. If I want to keep it longer, I'm taking a calculated risk.

Ultimately it wouldn't stop me from buying it but my feeling like many others is why bother for so little upside and while sky-x tech is good bit more risky but I'd be all over that..for the huge upside in efficiency via spark assisted compression ignition. But honestly I'd avoid either if I wanted bulletproof engine reliability for idk 100k and beyond- just throwing out a number.

Your response is a sensible one. If I had the choice between the engine with or without COD, I would choose without. But it’s not going to work that way. COD is not a deal killer for me.

The vast majority of today’s engines are GDI, turbo, and a few other technologies with many having multiple. So far Mazda has shown good durability with their SkyActiv engines. On the other hand, many Honda owners are realizing the issues of fuel dilution with their 1.5 liter Earth Dreams motors.

How would owning a Mazda with cylinder deactivation give someone any insight into the technology? It's not like Mazda puts a detailed engineering explanation into their owner's manuals.

As far as I can tell, this thread can be reduced to three viewpoints:

1. The Pessimist: There's an inherent problem with this technology. All the manufacturers who have tried it so far have run into similar problems as their vehicles rack up the miles. It has resulted in class action lawsuits and frustrated owners. Mazda hasn't said a word about the problems associated with cylinder deactivation and what they might be doing to overcome them. So why should I assume Mazda engines will fare any better?

2. The Optimist: Mazda excels at engine development and must have solved the problem but they're just keeping it a trade secret. They surely have seen the problems that other manufacturers have experienced, and the class action law suits, and they would be crazy to go down this path if they didn't have a solution.

3. The Realist: Mazda is aware of the problems, doesn't have a silver bullet solution, but has a way to limit or manage the problem so that it affects fewer people and shows up later. If I lease or plan to trade-in in a few years, I'm golden. If I want to keep it longer, I'm taking a calculated risk.

Naw, your realist version is your take on things. I only wish I could buy the 2.5G engine here but we’re stuck with diesels. I’m a long time vehicle engineer and the amount of concern over cylinder deactivation is far less than say seat comfort. It causes me zero concern.

I’m a long time vehicle engineer and the amount of concern over cylinder deactivation is far less than say seat comfort. It causes me zero concern.

Anchorman, I always respect your opinion as you come through as a knowledgeable person, with access to the source material to boot. But let me ask you, how many engines with cylinder management design have you participated in? How many of them have you've been fixing yourself or participated in fixing as a part of the team? Just curious, thank you.

Anchorman, I always respect your opinion as you come through as a knowledgeable person, with access to the source material to boot. But let me ask you, how many engines with cylinder management design have you participated in? How many of them have you've been fixing yourself or participated in fixing as a part of the team? Just curious, thank you.

Okay ... I will say this differently. This whole fiasco is not whether it'll work or not work in the long run. Really. The fiasco is due to the fact that surprisingly Mazda does not state HOW they have fixed the known issue. Mazda is well known for being transparent especially when they do something GREAT. So - its even more suspicious that all they are stating is some rod they added which BTW everyone seem to agree will indeed fix the vibrations but not the main problem. So again : if Mazda came forth with an explanation of how they fixed the issue then this fiasco will die its own natural death, albeit a few : who'll always complaint/critic.

Naw, your realist version is your take on things. I only wish I could buy the 2.5G engine here but we’re stuck with diesels. I’m a long time vehicle engineer and the amount of concern over cylinder deactivation is far less than say seat comfort. It causes me zero concern.

Anchorman, why would you prefer the 2.5G to diesel? Politics, or the merits of the engine itself?

Indeed. Pretty stupid of Mazda to introduce things knowing there are still problems

What I can't understand is Mazda introducing more complexity for 1mpg more if FWD, its stupid IMO.

And I'm a long time technical maintenance engineer/ electrical technician/ process control engineer. (cabpatch)

Yes who says we have to own something to know its deficiencies? Cylinder deactivation is nothing new and many automakers have tried and all resulted the same issues. Other than Honda V6 VCM, these posts are typical for GMs V8 AFM, Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation even though GM has changed the name from Displacement on Demand (DoD) or even earlier V8-6-4 since 1981 due to bad reputation:

Another 5.3 with AFM bites the dust ~ Chevrolet Active Fuel Management Problems

Chevy cylinder deactivation problems

2012 Silverado Z71, 44,000 miles, 5.3 V8 with AFM cylinder deactivation.

Heading out of town yesterday to do some hunting before the holiday and made it about 5 miles out the highway when a serious clicking noise started. I noticed the clicking was dependent on RPM so pulled off ASAP and expected the worst.

Truck was towed to the dealership and is getting new lifters now. Spoke with the tech and he confirmed, as I suspected, that the problem was likely caused by the cylinder deactivation - which GM will not allow the dealership to turn off.

Will be buying a programmer and doing it myself as soon as I get the truck back, I didn't like it before but now I'm definitely done with it. Just an FYI or heads up to any of you guys with newer Chebbys, obviously I don't think it is a wide spread problem, but it did cause my low mileage truck to leave me stranded - anybody else had this problem?
My cousin had 3 top end rebuilds done before 100k miles on his 07' 5.3. Dealer told him it was all directly related to AFM. Best friend had his 08' sierra burn 1 qt every 1000 miles after he hit 90k... Same story.. Both trucks were commuters with occasional boat towing. Its a bad system I dont know why they keep using it.

Get the programmer and call it a day.

So do we really want these risks on cylinder deactivation from Mazda just to save 0 or 1 mpg on CX-5? I just hope it wont be like Cadillac's V8-6-4 engine of 1981: it seemed like a good idea at the time. On paper, the V8-6-4 engine looked great; in practice, it was a disaster!

BTW, what is the COD cylinder deactivation system one member keeps referring to? Among all automobile variable displacement technologies or cylinder deactivation systems, GM calls it V8-6-4、Displacement on Demand (DoD)、and now Active Fuel Management (AFM); Honda calls it Variable Cylinder Management (VCM)、Chrysler calls it Multi-Displacement System (MDS)、and Daimler AG calls it Active Cylinder Control (ACC).

So what is the COD? (uhm)

Okay ... I will say this differently. This whole fiasco is not whether it'll work or not work in the long run. Really. The fiasco is due to the fact that surprisingly Mazda does not state HOW they have fixed the known issue. Mazda is well known for being transparent especially when they do something GREAT. So - its even more suspicious that all they are stating is some rod they added which BTW everyone seem to agree will indeed fix the vibrations but not the main problem. So again : if Mazda came forth with an explanation of how they fixed the issue then this fiasco will die its own natural death, albeit a few : who'll always complaint/critic.
Couldn’t agree with you more on this. When SkyActiv-G high-compression petro engines just came out Mazda released every possible technical information to explain how the Mazda engineers had done to resolve the know issues. Even the new SkyActiv-X Mazda has explained why they couldn’t come up with a pure HCCI engine but have to settle for SPCCI with spark plugs.

What I can't understand is Mazda introducing more complexity for 1mpg more if FWD, its stupid IMO.

And I'm a long time technical maintenance engineer/ electrical technician/ process control engineer. (cabpatch)
And 0 mpg gain on combined for 2018 CX-5 AWD!

And I'm a long time technical maintenance engineer/ electrical technician/ process control engineer.

Toyota probably put them up to it. Rip Mazda (blowup) Meanwhile new Supra coming out lol (drive2)

Last edited:
Canadian CX-5 Fuel Figures:

2017 Model with no Cylinder Deactivation:

bhdmxe.png

2018 Model with Cylinder Deactivation:

1pgzdt.jpg

There is improvements across the board. It may be small but it is still there.

This is probably the limit of this engine and my guess they had to do something because the weight went up with the KF and with SkyActiv-X still some years away, this is the stop gap measure till then.

Has anyone road tested the 2018 CX-5 yet? I'm curious to see, if Mazda was able to push more performance and offset the loss of MPG with cylinder deactivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back