CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, no they didn't... It is pretty much alive and well, in new generation DI engines, with similar problems.
What lawsuit(s) did you refer to?
Read that GM was sued back in the 1980s over cylinder deactivation issues.

Have not read any issues here in Oz regarding DI engines and they have been around here for well over a decade now

I thought the reference was to GM lawsuits. GM AFM technology wasn't even there prior to 2000? Or was it 2007, can't recall.
Still, nothing has changed in technology. Same issues...

Have not read any issues here in Oz regarding DI engines and they have been around here for well over a decade now
Do you have 5.3l-6.0l V8 GM engines down under?

And this is the point. Only minority users with certain driving habits usually get affected. The vast majority of owners after 5 years should have no issues with normal driving if they also serviced it by following the correct schedule.

I haven't seen any information to suggest that the problems suffered by Honda, GM, and Dodge/Chrysler owners had anything to do with neglect or not following the service schedule. The root cause of the problem exists regardless of whether the oil is clear or dirty.

As far as driving habits go, logic suggests the more time you spend running with cylinder deactivation engaged, the more likely you are to have problems and the earlier they will occur.

At this point, it's anyone's guess whether Mazda has eliminated the problem (doubtful), has gotten it mostly under control (probably), or is going to suffer the same fate as the others who tried it (hopefully not). We'll find out in a few years.

For Honda V6 VCM, usually itll take 5 years to have the symptoms.

Red MC said it the best, the only solution to overcome the inherent issues is to periodically re-activate the cylinders more often and Honda is doing this for its V6 VCM. But itd defeat the purpose of cylinder deactivation, and the fuel saving becomes not significant.

I thought the reference was to GM lawsuits. GM AFM technology wasn't even there prior to 2000? Or was it 2007, can't recall.
Still, nothing has changed in technology. Same issues...

A class action suit was filed against GM around a year ago, late 2016/early 2017 time frame.

Good to know, wasn't aware of that. However, this will end with nothing. And will cost a fortune. This is why GM doesn't quit on this technology. At least it has some marginal fuel economy benefits in large V8. Not in 4cyl Skyactiv thought.

There's really nothing anyone on here can do about it. The 2018s are coming with cylinder deactivation whether people like it or not. There's also no data as to whether Mazda's implementation of cylinder deactivation will negatively affect reliability, since this is the first year it is going on sale in North America.

It would really be nice if a Mazda engineer could comment on here regarding the reliability concerns that people have with Mazda's cylinder deactivation. I don't see that happening anytime soon though. So all we can do at this point is to wait and see how Mazda's new engines fare after 3-5 years on the road.

If you are adverse to the risk of reliability issues with your cars, then your best bet is to get a 2017 CX-5.

Good to know, wasn't aware of that. However, this will end with nothing. And will cost a fortune. This is why GM doesn't quit on this technology. At least it has some marginal fuel economy benefits in large V8. Not in 4cyl Skyactiv thought.
You just hit the nail in the coffin. Cylinder deactivation applied to a 4-cylinder simply doesnt make any sense for 0 or 1 mpg gain with many potential risks! No wonder its the industry-first on a 4-cylinder claimed by Mazda! (boom04)

And this is the point. Only minority users with certain driving habits usually get affected. The vast majority of owners after 5 years should have no issues with normal driving if they also serviced it by following the correct schedule.

"... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?"

By the way, GM came up with Delphi's Skip Fire technology, where all cylinders get involved in the shut-down mode. They shut down any number if cylinders on demand, in the way that no single cylinder is off for any prolonged period of time. My guess is between 1 to 4 four-cycle events, but that's it. They don't allow any particular cylinder to be off for nearly enough time to drain the "air spring" trapped in de-activated cylinder, or oil deposits accumulated on intake valve, or the spark plug getting too cold, or... That's a far more superior system, but it would only work well in 8 or more cylinder engines. Upcoming Skyactiv 4 cyl will de-activate only two dedicated cylinders...
I admire Mazda for many innovations, but they still can't get their rotary straight, and still continue with it. What does it tell you as a potential owner?

Last edited:
I haven't seen any information to suggest that the problems suffered by Honda, GM, and Dodge/Chrysler owners had anything to do with neglect or not following the service schedule. The root cause of the problem exists regardless of whether the oil is clear or dirty.

As far as driving habits go, logic suggests the more time you spend running with cylinder deactivation engaged, the more likely you are to have problems and the earlier they will occur.

At this point, it's anyone's guess whether Mazda has eliminated the problem (doubtful), has gotten it mostly under control (probably), or is going to suffer the same fate as the others who tried it (hopefully not). We'll find out in a few years.

Cylinder deactivation apparently will only engage on light throttle such as cruising highway. Most other times it won't. So the time it is engaged will be a lot less than most people are predicting.

As I have said on numerous occasions, if Mazda haven't been paying attention to what has happened to other manufacturers then they are stupid and will pay for it when the class action law suits commence.

You just hit the nail in the coffin. Cylinder deactivation applied to a 4-cylinder simply doesn’t make any sense for 0 or 1 mpg gain with many potential risks! No wonder it’s the “industry-first” on a 4-cylinder claimed by Mazda! (boom04)

Wasn't SkyActiv an industry first (in certain aspects) as well (uhm)

Look how that turned out!

For Honda V6 VCM, usually it’ll take 5 years to have the symptoms.

Red MC said it the best, the only solution to overcome the inherent issues is to periodically re-activate the cylinders more often and Honda is doing this for its V6 VCM. But it’d defeat the purpose of cylinder deactivation, and the fuel saving becomes not significant.

In Mazda's case, seems it won't be on most of the time but still will be on enough to improve fuel efficiency.

My guess is they have reached the pinnacle of what they can do with current NA SkyActiv motors and since SkyActive X is still a few years away, this cylinder deactivation is the last thing throw of the dice.

A class action suit was filed against GM around a year ago, late 2016/early 2017 time frame.

AFAIK no such claims here and this was offered in the late 2000s. Should have been evident by now

GM AFM kicks in not just on the highway. In town as well, at light throttle, and is quite annoying at that. We'll see how Mazda fairs with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back