CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
$28,958 via Costco in the Phoenix area. FWD GT with the Premium package, Machine Grey.
I didn't qualify for any military or loyalty discounts, just the $1,750 rebate offered to everyone on '17s.

$28,958 via Costco in the Phoenix area. FWD GT with the Premium package, Machine Grey.
I didn't qualify for any military or loyalty discounts, just the $1,750 rebate offered to everyone on '17s.

Well done! A good choice at a great price.

I've never seen pistons like that. Is that specific to Mazda?
Yeah that piston design is unique to SkyActiv-G petro engines to handle high compression ratio. The second part of video has nothing to do with cylinder deactivation.

Sooner or later there will be no more 2017 models for sale and every new purchase will be 2018 with cylinder deactivation.

Just saying.

Nothing special on cylinder deactivation from Mazda based on the video. It doesn’t address any potential problems inherited from cylinder deactivation found by many other car manufactures who had tried and failed.

How do you know it doesn’t?

We only get the 2.0G engine with FWD and a manual box. Doesn’t sell well as Mazda GB place it at entry level but if it’s applied to that engine, I guess so.

Sooner or later there will be no more 2017 models for sale and every new purchase will be 2018 with cylinder deactivation.

Just saying.
Well, anybody who has concerns on longevity of cylinder deactivation would get a 2017 CX-5 like the OP did. Others like me who has a plan getting a 2018 CX-5 now may change their mind finding other suitable alternatives.

Personally Id settle for a vehicle with turbo or CVT, but not cylinder deactivation as it has minimum gain on fuel economy but many deficiencies which cant be overcome. Turbo and CVT are excellent in theory, and they can be made more reliable and better on performance. On the other hand, I just dont see how those deficiencies on cylinder deactivation can be fixed.

We only get the 2.0G engine with FWD and a manual box. Doesnt sell well as Mazda GB place it at entry level but if its applied to that engine, I guess so.
Mazda only implements cylinder deactivation on SA-G 2.5L as it has balance shaft to help smoothing out the vibration issue while only 2 cylinders activated. SA-G 2.0L doesnt have balance shaft, hence no cylinder deactivation.

The video and all other materials Ive seen from Mazda don't say anything to address known issues on cylinder deactivation other than added a fulcrum inside the transmission to fight vibration.

Like you, I'm skeptical that they've come up with a breakthrough to prevent the problem outright. Every engine has the fundamental need to lubricate the interface between the cylinder bore and rings with oil, which is always going to lead to some oil accumulation in a deactivated cylinder.

My guess is they think they can manage it. One simple thought I had is that while running under the conditions suitable for cylinder deactivation, you could periodically re-activate the cylinders to burn off the oil before the oil film gets thick enough to form glazing or deposits. You might have to work pretty hard to make that unnoticeable by the driver though.

Even if they can't eliminate the problem, maybe they can push the onset of the symptoms further out. If it takes 5 years to show up, and only a minority of owners with certain driving habits are affected, the financial and reputational risk is probably small.

I think Red MC has nailed it. Push the problem-free operation past the power train warranty, and you're golden. Beats me what is the underlying reason though. There always will be an option to de-activate this feature, which will mitigate the adverse consequences. But there's no fun de-activating the feature you paid for...

We only get the 2.0G engine with FWD and a manual box. Doesn’t sell well as Mazda GB place it at entry level but if it’s applied to that engine, I guess so.
They should drop that and add the 2.5

Well, anybody who has concerns on longevity of cylinder deactivation would get a 2017 CX-5 like the OP did. Others like me who has a plan getting a 2018 CX-5 now may change their mind finding other suitable alternatives.

Personally I’d settle for a vehicle with turbo or CVT, but not cylinder deactivation as it has minimum gain on fuel economy but many deficiencies which can’t be overcome. Turbo and CVT are excellent in theory, and they can be made more reliable and better on performance. On the other hand, I just don’t see how those deficiencies on cylinder deactivation can be fixed.
If this technology is so bad then it should have been abandoned long ago yet GM is still using it today after all the issues and law suits they incurred in the past. Could be that they have now solved the issues and Mazda have found the solutions as well.

Last edited:
Like you, I'm skeptical that they've come up with a breakthrough to prevent the problem outright. Every engine has the fundamental need to lubricate the interface between the cylinder bore and rings with oil, which is always going to lead to some oil accumulation in a deactivated cylinder.

My guess is they think they can manage it. One simple thought I had is that while running under the conditions suitable for cylinder deactivation, you could periodically re-activate the cylinders to burn off the oil before the oil film gets thick enough to form glazing or deposits. You might have to work pretty hard to make that unnoticeable by the driver though.

Even if they can't eliminate the problem, maybe they can push the onset of the symptoms further out. If it takes 5 years to show up, and only a minority of owners with certain driving habits are affected, the financial and reputational risk is probably small.
And this is the point. Only minority users with certain driving habits usually get affected. The vast majority of owners after 5 years should have no issues with normal driving if they also serviced it by following the correct schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back