CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cylinder deactivation applied to a 4-cylinder simply doesn’t make any sense for 0 or 1 mpg gain with many potential risks!
I only been on the highway once since I got the Mazda. I just noticed the other day that the trip B monitor was set from the day I left the lot at 19 miles. I now have 1300 miles and the MPG is 29.4 according to trip B and this is all in town driving. ( I am impressed because all the other vehicles I've owned with the same driving conditions were usually 1 or 2 MPG lower than the EPA) So if I compare it to that I should be getting 23 or 24 MPG. I am not saying it's because of Cylinder Deactivation, or maybe it is. But I have read that the more you can drive steady speeds is when Cylinder Deactivation kicks in. And I also have never felt Cylinder Deactivation kick in or out.

Does anyone on this forum actually have the 2018 model with cylinder deactivation yet?
Yes, I own one.

The 2018 Mazda CX-5 is awesome. It is fun to drive. I have no complaints with it, except I wish it was level (Higher in the front or lower in the back, either way I like the level look ;)

I only been on the highway once since I got the Mazda. I just noticed the other day that the trip B monitor was set from the day I left the lot at 19 miles. I now have 1300 miles and the MPG is 29.4 according to trip B and this is all in town driving. ( I am impressed because all the other vehicles I've owned with the same driving conditions were usually 1 or 2 MPG lower than the EPA) So if I compare it to that I should be getting 23 or 24 MPG. I am not saying it's because of Cylinder Deactivation, or maybe it is. But I have read that the more you can drive steady speeds is when Cylinder Deactivation kicks in. And I also have never felt Cylinder Deactivation kick in or out.

Yes, I own one.

The 2018 Mazda CX-5 is awesome. It is fun to drive. I have no complaints with it, except I wish it was level (Higher in the front or lower in the back, either way I like the level look ;)

I'm not sure I could tell whether a brief hesitation is due to the engine, or downshifting.

Yes, I own one.

The 2018 Mazda CX-5 is awesome. It is fun to drive.

Good to hear :D

I was talking with one of the guys from the dealership where we bought the Mazda at, he told me that the EPA for the 2018 CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation is under estimated. I went for a cruise around town tonight for about an hour. I used Cruise control for about half the ride. As you can see in the photo, the MPG is really good. The history is almost 30 mpg. He also said that the Lifetime powertrain that they offered will cover any CD issues as well. https://www.mazdas247.com/members/New18CX5/thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
I was talking with one of the guys from the dealership where we bought the Mazda at, he told me that the EPA for the 2018 CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation is under estimated. I went for a cruise around town tonight for about an hour. I used Cruise control for about half the ride. As you can see in the photo, the MPG is really good. The history is almost 30 mpg. He also said that the Lifetime powertrain that they offered will cover any CD issues as well. https://www.mazdas247.com/members/New18CX5/thumbnail.jpg

(cheers2)

The way I see it, Mazda is a automaker with a reputation for putting cutting edge technology in their vehicles. Rotary engine for example. They were very early with GDI as well.

Cylinder deactivation is another cutting edge tech. The 2017 models and beyond have the G Vectoring Control yet I haven’t heard any gripes about that. I’m sure front brake pad life is reduced with it.

It’s time to move on.

Mazda is tech savvy but sometimes it hits foul balls like any major league batter. I had the remote start on my 2016 GT and it stopped working after 6 months and the dealership had a hard time figuring what broke. It failed again, shortly thereafter. So that was surely a foul ball. The Mazda rotary engines were also foul balls at times with burning oil and other issues.

I hope that CD is a great tech with no problems. I really do. I just didn't want to be the one who has to deal with it if it goes bad so I got a 2017. CD lowering MPG works better with V6 or V8's since it is shutting down 4 or more cylinders. To have 2 cylinders shutdown is kind of silly.

On my 2017 AWD Touring I am getting 28.5MPG with 70% highway and 30% city driving. If I had better tires (OEM suck), then I would be getting maybe 1MPG more.

Last edited:

Yes, I own one.

Nice! Maybe it is meaningful.

That is impressive!

Mazda is tech savvy but sometimes it hits foul balls like any major league batter. I had the remote start on my 2016 GT and it stopped working after 6 months and the dealership had a hard time figuring what broke. It failed again, shortly thereafter. So that was surely a foul ball. The Mazda rotary engines were also foul balls at times with burning oil and other issues.

I hope that CD is a great tech with no problems. I really do. I just didn't want to be the one who has to deal with it if it goes bad so I got a 2017. CD lowering MPG works better with V6 or V8's since it is shutting down 4 or more cylinders. To have 2 cylinders shutdown is kind of silly.

On my 2017 AWD Touring I am getting 28.5MPG with 70% highway and 30% city driving. If I had better tires (OEM suck), then I would be getting maybe 1MPG more.

The 2016 CX-5 is the weakest out of all CX-5s as far as reliability goes.

What makes you say that?

My 2016 has not been as reliable as my other Mazdas. There's the transmission issues with the early 2016 models. There's the headlight issue. Center storage latch issue. That's just the ones I've experienced on my 2016 CX-5. If you follow the link below, you'll also see that the 2016 CX-5 models are less reliable than the 2013-2015 models. Of course, compared to other brands it is still pretty good, but compared to other model year CX-5s, they are the weakest. I'm not surprised though because the 2016 was big change for the CX-5. (It got a new interior, new LED headlights, commander knob, Sport mode, etc... It was a big refresh.)

https://www.truedelta.com/Mazda-CX-5/reliability-1093

My 2016 has not been as reliable as my other Mazdas. There's the transmission issues with the early 2016 models. There's the headlight issue. Center storage latch issue. That's just the ones I've experienced on my 2016 CX-5. If you follow the link below, you'll also see that the 2016 CX-5 models are less reliable than the 2013-2015 models. Of course, compared to other brands it is still pretty good, but compared to other model year CX-5s, they are the weakest. I'm not surprised though because the 2016 was big change for the CX-5. (It got a new interior, new LED headlights, commander knob, Sport mode, etc... It was a big refresh.)

https://www.truedelta.com/Mazda-CX-5/reliability-1093

I would take TD with a grain of salt but the difference in the graphics of the model years is tiny. Your personal experience is valid but for you only. I do agree that the refresh was a major one for 2017 with lots of improvements.

I would take TD with a grain of salt but the difference in the graphics of the model years is tiny. Your personal experience is valid but for you only. I do agree that the refresh was a major one for 2017 with lots of improvements.
I understand that it was my experience alone and that there are a lot of owners with perfectly reliable 2016s. It is just my experience but I feel like, from my time spent on this forum, there was an increased number of issues with 2016 CX-5s versus the older models.

giphy.gif

I think people should chillax.

Mazda would have known about all the past issues with cylinder activation and if they haven't done anything to negate the issues then it is completely stupid for them to introduce it.

Somehow I doubt Mazda are that stupid.

yeah mazda literally cannot afford to have the cx5 fail because of 2cylinder deactivation. toyota and honda could afford to have this fail for them but the cx5 is mazda's lifeblood right now, they wouldn't do anything to compromise it. they must be very confident with the technology

yeah mazda literally cannot afford to have the cx5 fail because of 2cylinder deactivation. toyota and honda could afford to have this fail for them but the cx5 is mazda's lifeblood right now, they wouldn't do anything to compromise it. they must be very confident with the technology

I think this is a big point. In the USA, for Feb 2018, Mazda sold more CX-5's than all other Mazdas combined. They are on track to sell over 160K CX-5 this year. If that car does not sell, Mazda NA is equivalent to a Turkey at 630 PM on Thanksgiving day- cooked and done.

I understand that it was my experience alone and that there are a lot of owners with perfectly reliable 2016s. It is just my experience but I feel like, from my time spent on this forum, there was an increased number of issues with 2016 CX-5s versus the older models.
Agreed. And Consumer Reports predicted reliability rating also supports that:

2018 Consumer Reports Reliability: Spoiler Mazda #12

I have an appointment set up on 3/8 to fix all problems my 2016 CX-5 have had before my new-car warranty soon expires and perform 3 recalls. Fortunately the transmission is fine (knock on wood) but both LED headlights、GPS、Automatic Climate Control LCD display panel、both A-pillar covers、driver-side sun visor、heated outside mirrors、and rattles on front passenger side, etc. need to get replaced or fixed. Will try to use the TSB to get revised rear brake calipers but don't put too much hope on it.

Mazda always has confidence on its rotary engine but just can't resolve inherent issues coming with the rotary engine design. The same on cylinder deactivation with its inherent issues there's no easy way to resolve them due to the design. The thermodynamics issue on those 2 outer cylinders can never get properly resolved due to their frequent hot and cold environmental changes, hence oil burning, spark plug fouling, and ring wearing issues. The only way to reduce the effects of frequent thermodynamics changes is to use CD in very short period and less frequently, then why bother to implement it?

Many cylinder deactivation long term issues are not caused by lack of maintenance, but by inherent design flaw!

Exactly. If it happens, they will be wiped out because they are not a large enough company to deal with class actions, government fines etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back