CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjbraun55

:
CX-5 GT
I'm looking at purchasing a CX-5 in the near future. There are still many 2017s available configured as I want (GT, FWD w Premium package.) The only real difference between the 17s and 18s is cylinder deactivation. Several other manufacturers have tried cylinder deactivation (GM, Mercedes and Honda,) and had problems. What has Mazda done to be more successful with this strategy? I know they have a solution to make sure the engine runs smoothly on two cylinders, but how have they addressed spark plug failure and issues with rings not sealing properly. I plan to keep this car a long time and wonder if long term reliability is impacted by cylinder deactivation.

I drove a 2018 yesterday and really liked it. I could not detect anything that suggested when the engine deactivated two cylinders. Cruising at 35-45 mph, the instrument cluster reported gas mileage close to 40 mpg. Does anyone have real world mpg data on a 2018?

Thanks

This is one of the primary reasons we picked up our 2017. We didn't need to make a purchase until we turn in my wife's BMW i3 lesae in August. I didn't want to be a guinea pig on an added feature that has zero returns, especially on an AWD CX-5.

Only time will tell. Sucks to be a guinea pig but I guess it is a risk that I am taking for the new 2018. Just hope "IF" this new feature fails, it will be within the warranty period.

To be safe, buy an extended warranty like I did so you don't have to worry about it for the next 5 years or more. *finger crossed* (whistle)

The cylinder deactivation feature has been available in Europe for a year now and we haven’t heard any horror stories. I myself do prefer a simpler engine but COD would not be a deal killer in my book like say a cvt would.

The key is using the proper oil for the car and getting it changed regularly. Lots of Honda issues could be blamed on lax maintenance by the owner.

Zzzzzzzz.

I remember G Vectoring causing lots of panic too. Can’t wait until Mazda fit Dilitium Crystals.

I just over heard that Dave C loves watching Marvel's Agents of the S.H.I.E.L.D and he's focusing on on using Gavitron.

On a serious note - 2018 CX-5 diesel: does it also have cylinder de-activation?

giphy.gif

I think people should chillax.

Mazda would have known about all the past issues with cylinder activation and if they haven't done anything to negate the issues then it is completely stupid for them to introduce it.

Somehow I doubt Mazda are that stupid.

giphy.gif

I think people should chillax.

Mazda would have known about all the past issues with cylinder activation and if they haven't done anything to negate the issues then it is completely stupid for them to introduce it.

Somehow I doubt Mazda are that stupid.

OR -> based on lack of some critical recommended schedules defined in owner's maint. schedules it might well be their "care" extends up to 36k/3 years or 60k/5 yrs power-train. After that - Not my Problem.

OR -> based on lack of some critical recommended schedules defined in owner's maint. schedules it might well be their "care" extends up to 36k/3 years or 60k/5 yrs power-train. After that - Not my Problem.

We get capped price servicing for our Mazda's for the life of the car. So as long as people service when scheduled and do what the service schedule book says, shouldn't be an issue

I had a 2014 Honda Odyssey that was just over 3 years old with fouled spark plugs and failed piston rings at 70,000kms (42,000miles). Asked how much of a bill it would have been out of warranty. They told me it would be around $1600. I do hope Mazda has figured out the issues with cylinder deactivation.

They must have otherwise how stupid are they. Class actions will commence just like it has for other manufacturers and some how I doubt Mazda are big enough to pay/defend

We get capped price servicing for our Mazda's for the life of the car. So as long as people service when scheduled and do what the service schedule book says, shouldn't be an issue

How does that work? Covers failures after the warranty?

Mazda doesnt implement anything new on cylinder deactivation for its SA-G 2.5L I4 by disabling cylinder #1 and #4 with all valves closed while engine is running. You still need energy doing the compression for these idled cylinders. Thiss the main reason why cylinder deactivation cant be effective on fuel efficiency like a 1.25L engine. Added the thermodynamic issues among the outer 2 cooled-down cylinders and the inner 2 still-active hot-working cylinders, this creates serious issue on heat imbalance among cylinders and pistons which eventually caused spark plug fouling and oil burning, even premature failing on piston rings.

In all articles released Mazda hasnt addressed these inherent issues by cylinder deactivation, but only mentioned the easiest part, engine vibration, by using a fulcrum inside the SkyActiv-Drive transmission to help seamless transition.

Thats why Im concerned on long-term reliability after warranty expired with cylinder deactivation, especially the end result is only 1 MPG gain on FWD and ZERO MPG gain on AWD!

How does that work? Covers failures after the warranty?

No. Just fixed servicing costs. Warranty finishes after 3 years

My point is service regularly should minimise issues after warranty has finished.

But yes some things to happen and let's hope Mazda have done their homework

Last edited:
Mazda doesn’t implement anything new on cylinder deactivation for its SA-G 2.5L I4 by disabling cylinder #1 and #4 with all valves closed while engine is running. You still need energy doing the compression for these idled cylinders. This’s the main reason why cylinder deactivation can’t be effective on fuel efficiency like a 1.25L engine. Added the thermodynamic issues among the outer 2 cooled-down cylinders and the inner 2 still-active hot-working cylinders, this creates serious issue on heat imbalance among cylinders and pistons which eventually caused spark plug fouling and oil burning, even premature failing on piston rings.

In all articles released Mazda hasn’t addressed these inherent issues by cylinder deactivation, but only mentioned the easiest part, engine vibration, by using a fulcrum inside the SkyActiv-Drive transmission to help seamless transition.

That’s why I’m concerned on long-term reliability after warranty expired with cylinder deactivation, especially the end result is only 1 MPG gain on FWD and ZERO MPG gain on AWD!

Maybe you should talk to Mazda face to face and ask your questions since I highly doubt they visit/read here.

Most average (majority) consumers wouldn't have a clue about this but will buy a CX-5 anyway.

It's minority consumers like us who have some knowledge and frequent sites like this that wonder about this sort of stuff.

Finally it's pretty much a done deal so no matter how much some of us dislike it, it's coming and only a matter of time for it to be added to the final vehicle with a 2.5L - the Mazda 3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back