Rear Cam - Sudden change in view, now shows Licence Plate

Nyrjoe

:
2017 CX5 GT
Hi Everyone,

Been in my 2017 GT for a few months. Today myself and another driver noticed that when putting it in reverse we now see a 1/4 of our license plate in a fisheye type view on the far bottom right of the infotainment screen. Had always seen some of the bumper but never the plate. The overall image seems fine and not distorted, will check functionality soon. As it's a NY plate, the yellow on the screen is a bit distracting. Checked the camera's exterior case and it's not loose and lens was not dirty. Does anyone see their plate when putting into reverse? I checked a few youtube videos and haven't seen it. Wondering if the lens shifted downward within its module?

Wasn't knowingly bumped and no abnormal trunk slams either! Looks untouched from outside but good thought, thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Been in my 2017 GT for a few months. Today myself and another driver noticed that when putting it in reverse we now see a 1/4 of our license plate in a fisheye type view on the far bottom right of the infotainment screen. Had always seen some of the bumper but never the plate. The overall image seems fine and not distorted, will check functionality soon. As it's a NY plate, the yellow on the screen is a bit distracting. Checked the camera's exterior case and it's not loose and lens was not dirty. Does anyone see their plate when putting into reverse? I checked a few youtube videos and haven't seen it. Wondering if the lens shifted downward within its module?

Not that bad but occured to me. In warranty - took to dealer who fixed it. No idea if they replaced it. Told me the the casing inside moved.

So did you try and reboot (uhm)

May do the trick

Last edited:
Is there a reboot procedure other then restarting the car or erasing settings?

Capture.png

I have a 2017 CX-5 Touring, I bought it new, and I've always been able to see the license plate. I figured it was normal. Anyone have a picture what they see on screen with their backup camera? I'll take a picture of mine later today.

If it doesn't help, just go back now to the dealer and get it fixed.

Seems unlikely to me that a reboot would have any effect, but it can't hurt to try.

Have you thought about just trying to reposition the camera with gentle pressure? It doesn't take much movement of a fisheye lens to get a large movement of the image.

Will be bringing the car in as today the cam didn't even go on once. It did come back after an engine restart but something is not right. Tried the soft reset and licence plate remained in view on the screen. Most importantly rear cross traffic alert appeared to be functioning correctly when the cam came back. Thanks all for the input.

Hi Everyone,

The very same issue just started with my wife's 2016.5 CX-5. The car is her daily driver and I noticed it while backing it out of the garage the other morning. I checked the camera, the mounting and all seemed fine. Just wondering if you found a fix or a reason why the sudden change. Also, did you try the reboot? Plan on trying this when she gets home this evening. Thanks!

Ahhh, this is still my favorite thread, and it brings a smile to my face to see it come back to life.

I'm 100% certain I've always been able to see my license plate, since the first day I bought my 2017 CX-5.
One day my partner was driving my car, and he said, "I think something is wrong with your camera, I can see your license plate now", which is why I giggle when I hear people share this same story.

Trust me, the license plate has always been in view, you just never noticed it before. :)

Back