Hard Starting Issue on Cold Engine

Yamasaki

:
2009 Mazdaspeed 3, 2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
I have a minor issue that only rears its head on the rarest occasion.

My issue arises when I attempt to start a cold engine for a second time after it has been running for a brief period and then shut off.

Example: I start the engine after the car has been sitting at work for 8 hours and do a quick 2 minute drive to the local convenience store to grab a drink on my way home. I park the car in the lot and turn it off. After coming back out to the car to start it again, it will sputter and cough and occasionally not even turn over.

The initial cold start is never an issue, but if I turn the vehicle off before it gets warm and attempt to start it again within 5 minutes, my issue arises.

Anyone have an idea what the issue could be? It hasn't left me stranded, but it is an annoying issue.

2009 Mazda 5 Sport
Manual Transmission
127k miles

The engine is essentially flooded, if we think of it in those terms. When cold the air:fuel ratio is very rich. If you do a quick start and turn it off the engine will have a hard time getting started again because it's too rich. If it happens and just won't turn over, press the pedal all the way to the floor when you start it and let off the gas once it gets going. To avoid the issue, don't do the convenience store run or, if you do, let the engine warm up by driving more.

Back