USB SDcard Reader.

Tnrplaya

:
CX-5 2018
What are the requirements for the USB reader? I tried a 200GB SDcard, and my 2018 CX5 dosent read it but it reads a 8GB USB stick fine.

I don't know about the 2018's but in my 2016.5 the SD card reader is for the NAV card only. The two usb jacks are used for your music.

Check your owner's manual.

It could also be the format of the card or the spec. No USB 3.0 or ExFat allowed

From the manual (2017)

This unit does not support a USB 3.0 device. In addition, other devices may not be supported depending on the model or OS version. USB devices formatted to FAT32 are supported (USB devices formatted to other formats such as NTFS are not supported).

It could also be the format of the card or the spec. No USB 3.0 or ExFat allowed

From the manual (2017)

This unit does not support a USB 3.0 device. In addition, other devices may not be supported depending on the model or OS version. USB devices formatted to FAT32 are supported (USB devices formatted to other formats such as NTFS are not supported).

Assuming you are using an SD card reader in the USB port, it could work if you use a USB 2.0 reader/card with card formatted FAT 32. But it is easier to just use a USB stick.

32 GB in a small USB reader. No issues. I did have to deselect a lot of music to fit 32 GB.

What are the requirements for the USB reader? I tried a 200GB SDcard, and my 2018 CX5 dosent read it but it reads a 8GB USB stick fine.

A 256gb drive with 30,000+ songs in 2,000+ directories works, but- and this is a BIG but- browsing through the songs and albums is slow as a coma. It constantly stops and loads as you scroll through. Really not usable. A 32gb drive with 129 albums (1553 songs) works well with only a hint of slowing to load the directory. Both drives have excellent transfer rates.

you also have to format the card/stick Fat32 - windows will format large sticks and cards as ExFAT and that is not supported by many systems due to licensing.

You may want to check that info again.

Maybe your 2016.5 is different but my 2018 Manual states "The recommended capacity of the USB memory is 16 GB or less. USB devices formatted to FAT32 are supported (USB devices formatted to other formats such as NTFS are not supported)." This is on page 5-81.

You may want to check YOUR info again. (rolleyes)

Back