Right foot versus cruise control

Round trip w/cc yielded me an ob calculated 28.5mpg as that home stretch proved a good bit tougher as per normal. Couldn't sustain 70 for the 1st probably third of the trip but averaged a decent 61 in total that I snapped when i got off hwy, only had 1or 2 downshifts thanks to the hearty torque curve of the 2.5sky. This is better than I've been doing overall but this was pretty much just hwy inclusive of just 1 cold start (not that cold either as my underground garage @work stayed a temperate 46F)..we'll see how I do tomorrow it'll be close but I still like my chances..and driving! I'll do my best to duplicate the things i can control..i will be carrying ~3 fewer gallons of fuel, but if i have time Ill put them back prior to day 2 of challenge;)

Right foot stage 1 update: 30.8mpg on same exact route clocking same exact average speed (which is what I was paying attention to not my mpg btw) of 67 when I exited hwy..this sunk to 59 by the time I parked in garage as I missed several lights where yesterday I think I made them all. This was carrying approx 3 less gallons of fuel but also with a slight hurting breeze whereas yesterday's was helping. I locked in 6th slowed up hills and slightly faster downhill but never broke 75. Bottom line (not declaring victory yet) but good disciplined driving can and will easily match if not beat the cruise esp if you have some hills involved. **Final results pending**

Last edited:
When the car computer network of the future has all information about the terrain and traffic, elevation map, wind, weather and road conditions ahead and around, there would be no way for a weak human to beat that. Just no way in hell. Humans were not designed to process all that in the real time by millisecond and still drive.
Until then, human wins, as the brain has more information to work with. Not for very long though.

The Rolls Royce Wraith uses GPS data to factor in topography and elevation to select a gear for the most power delivery. I would think that this method could also be used for maximum (fuel) efficiency as well.

When the car computer network of the future has all information about the terrain and traffic, elevation map, wind, weather and road conditions ahead and around, there would be no way for a weak human to beat that. Just no way in hell. Humans were not designed to process all that in the real time by millisecond and still drive.
Until then, human wins, as the brain has more information to work with. Not for very long though.

By that time, we'll be calling that network Skynet and those cars Terminators =)

But I'm curious to know why you think cruise control will beat a human. If you think cruise control will hold a constant speed with less variation than a human, then I generally agree. If you're on perfectly flat terrain with no traffic and no variation in wind, then holding a constant speed should be better than varying speed with the same average. Because drag is proportional to the square of velocity, the extra fuel burned above the target speed hurts you more than the fuel saved below the target speed. But as soon as you throw hills and traffic into it, the answer is not so obvious anymore. In my anecdotal experience, driving on hilly terrain without cruise control, I seem to get better mileage by taking more of a constant throttle approach: gradually dropping below my target speed up hills and making it up on the downhills. Especially with turbo engines, using a lot of throttle to maintain a constant speed up steep hills seems to suck fuel quickly.

I agree with the quoted text profoundly.

with the 2.5L, especially the CX-5 with it's decreased aerodynamics there is a target speed for optimal fuel efficiency, but with my 528i for example (naturally aspirated engine) 8th gear is tuned very long to be efficient on the highway. driving 100KM/H (65MPH) you are at roughly 1800RPM, while going 90MPH you are at 2500RPM where the engine conveniently makes max torque so the fuel efficiency between going those two speeds will literally not change. you can even go up to 100MPH and still get reasonable fuel economy with 6 cylinder cars like this.

this brings me on to the 6 speed skyactiv transmission most of us have. it's a well geared unit, but sixth gear is way too long for highway use until you are going a certain speed. this paired with the fact that its always upshifting to top gear to save fuel it makes the car just feel sluggish to get up to speed, so i've been using the manual mode lately and i've noticed that you're honestly better off keeping the car in fifth gear until you get past 70MPH, because this will keep the RPM's closer to max torque which is at 3250RPM. the closer you keep RPM's to where the engine is producing all it's torque, (2700-3000 is optimal) the less stress you will put on the motor which this allows the engine to rev easily and smoothly at an RPM it is happy at. this is why i strongly prefer having a manual transmission with these cars (although you can't even get the manual with the 2.5L in the CX-5, correct?) because 4,5 and 6th in the manual unit are geared shorter which would definitely feel better at higher speeds with this 4 cylinder engine.

I agree with the quoted text profoundly.

with the 2.5L, especially the CX-5 with it's decreased aerodynamics there is a target speed for optimal fuel efficiency, but with my 528i for example (naturally aspirated engine) 8th gear is tuned very long to be efficient on the highway. driving 100KM/H (65MPH) you are at roughly 1800RPM, while going 90MPH you are at 2500RPM where the engine conveniently makes max torque so the fuel efficiency between going those two speeds will literally not change. you can even go up to 100MPH and still get reasonable fuel economy with 6 cylinder cars like this.

this brings me on to the 6 speed skyactiv transmission most of us have. it's a well geared unit, but sixth gear is way too long for highway use until you are going a certain speed. this paired with the fact that its always upshifting to top gear to save fuel it makes the car just feel sluggish to get up to speed, so i've been using the manual mode lately and i've noticed that you're honestly better off keeping the car in fifth gear until you get past 70MPH, because this will keep the RPM's closer to max torque which is at 3250RPM. the closer you keep RPM's to where the engine is producing all it's torque, (2700-3000 is optimal) the less stress you will put on the motor which this allows the engine to rev easily and smoothly at an RPM it is happy at. this is why i strongly prefer having a manual transmission with these cars (although you can't even get the manual with the 2.5L in the CX-5, correct?) because 4,5 and 6th in the manual unit are geared shorter which would definitely feel better at higher speeds with this 4 cylinder engine.

You do know your 6 is geared differently, yes? And at 65 I will bet you all my $ that 6th will be easily more efficient than 5th- in my CX-5..all 200 bucks:)

Last edited:
6:
First Gear Ratio :)1) : 3.70
Second Gear Ratio :)1) : 1.95
Third Gear Ratio :)1) : 1.30
Fourth Gear Ratio :)1) : 1.03
Fifth Gear Ratio :)1) : 0.84
Sixth Gear Ratio :)1) : 0.68
Reverse Ratio :)1) : 3.72
Final Drive Axle Ratio :)1) : 4.11

CX-5:
First Gear Ratio :)1) : 3.55
Second Gear Ratio :)1) : 2.02
Third Gear Ratio :)1) : 1.45
Fourth Gear Ratio :)1) : 1.00
Fifth Gear Ratio :)1) : 0.71
Sixth Gear Ratio :)1) : 0.60
Reverse Ratio :)1) : 3.89
Final Drive Axle Ratio :)1) : 4.62- gen1s, 4.33 for 17+

You do know your 6 is geared differently, yes? And at 65 I will bet you all my $ that 6th will be easily more efficient than 5th- in my CX-5..all 200 bucks:)

I'll throw in my ten bux for some of that action!

Final update..avg speed was 60 just 1 under yesterday's but i had to claw back more on today's return trip as Greenwich was more clogged today....drumroll....w a i t f o r i t..

29.2 vs. 28.5 using cc

Your right foot results my vary but mine for this challenge on my terrain is the winner(friday)(dance)
SS8 en colster(cheers)

Last edited:
Haha you knew it was coming..but honestly that's basically inside the margin of error and I concede that i drove somewhat more conservatively than normal...but cc is beatable particularly with some elevation change

Haha you knew it was coming..but honestly that's basically inside the margin of error and I concede that i drove somewhat more conservatively than normal...but cc is beatable particularly with some elevation change

Appreciate your efforts in this testing.

Mazda: introduce a new feature : no other car / brand has it: throttle cruise control. LOL. Set a throttle and car will keep it. speed: irrelevant.

Of course. And my 528i is an 8 speed too. The final drive ratio is completely different, the gears are spaced differently, etc

But if youre trying to accelerate to a speed faster than 65, you want to use fifth. Sixth gear should really only be used for coasting.

Latest posts

Back