I am seriously worried ... can this happen?

I doubt that any “joy riding” has taken place but it is entirely possible that something happened in a busy dealer premises.

My question to the OP; Was the car driveable without the repair and if so why was there no option to take your car back until the parts arrived?

I guess I've been fortunate with car dealers. The worst I've had was when they said I needed some new lug nuts during a routine oil change & tire rotation, because some of the old ones were seized on pretty tight and got rounded off during removal. I said sure, whatever. I was a bit surprised to get the bill for 16 nuts at nearly $10 each, and then to find there were only a few new ones on the car.

Motorcycles are a different story. I had one dealer strip the bolts on an oil filter cover, causing me to dump a quart or so of oil all over an intersection on the way home. Of course they denied it. Another dealer once installed a rear tire in the wrong direction. When I took it back to them, the owner said "what difference does it make?" and argued with me for 15 minutes before agreeing to remount it. A third dealer forgot to reconnect an alternator lead when replacing a burned out voltage regulator. I got halfway home before it died. Naturally, they denied it was their fault and wouldn't pay for the tow. One other time, a dealer changed the brake fluid per the maintenance schedule, but left a pair of vice-grip pliers clamped on a rubber brake hose. Fortunately, I noticed that before I left their lot and just kept the pliers. All of these happened in my late teens & early 20s when I was a fairly new rider. Since then I've always done my own maintenance on bikes once out of warranty.

dougal's story of the Ferrari getting wrecked in a different city has to take the cake though. I can't even imagine how angry that would make me.

Last edited:
In the future, I strongly suggest that you just take the car to a good mechanic instead, it'll save you the headache.

Not if it's still under warranty.
If you take it to an independent mechanic who doen't know your vehicle, and he screws it up, and then you have to take it to a dealer to get fixed, you're screwed.
As soon as the dealer knows that an independent shop worked on it, they'll void the warranty work, and you'll pay....big time.

As a funny note, a friend of mine working for a tire-front end repair shop, got a car for a test drive, not a joy ride, within the area that was covered by the insurance company of the shop and got into an accident. Nobody was hurt but the picture of the accident showed up the next day in the local newspaper.
The newspaper reversed the negative and the owner of the car, a friend of my father saw it and he said: "It looks like my car", without paying much attention until he read the license plate on the article. LOL.
When he went to the tire shop, they already had the car fixed, without paint, with new parts.
Sometimes things happens.
The only fault here was the tire shop not communicating the owner right away. Needless to say that he did not pay anything of the repair that the vehicle was originally in for.

My bosses Ferrari was in an accident outside of Boston. The shop, and home are outside of Philadelphia. No joke.

On a side note, this board attracts people with strange backgrounds and weird events.

Had a Toyota Celica many years ago that I sold back to the dealer after a few years of ownership (I needed a bigger car due to kids).
Anyway, I dropped off the car in the early evening, signed the paperwork, got my cheque, and went home.
Got a phone call at 2 in the morning from the police, asking if I was the owner of a 1973 grey Celica.
I said, "not anymore. Sold it earlier last evening...why?"
Well sir, we found the car in a farmers field, empty beer bottles everywhere, doors open, and in rough shape.
Turns out the car was stolen from the dealer lot and taken for a joy ride after I dropped it off.
Not my problem..

Not if it's still under warranty.

Plus you'd be paying for something that the company should cover.

Since then I've always done my own maintenance on bikes once out of warranty.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself."

Unless you don't have the knowledge, or skills, or tools, or time....

My question to the OP; Was the car driveable without the repair and if so why was there no option to take your car back until the parts arrived?

The place is busy. Car drive able: yes. But - a specialized technician is required and dealership told her its difficult to get him and on top of that parts take time to arrive, etc., etc. Its also difficult for her to come to dealership at short notice to leave car/pick up car/etc.

Anyways - taking all of your advise (THANK YOU / THANK YOU / THANK YOU) I advised her and she could go and visit the dealership today evening. She did not prior notify. She wanted to pick up our son's few things from the trunk anyways. Upon asking - within few minutes the car was brought in. She collected her stuff and did a careful once over. She said nothing looks out of the ordinary. I also did some research. Apparently, bad dealership managers may in some cases take the vehicle out but usually with more up-scale luxury brands - primarily to show off. If it was bumped and quickly fixed well - there's nothing much that can be done now except getting my wife's color matched perfectly is a real pain. She has a custom color. My biggest concern was replacing parts. I did some research and found 99% dealership consider it - as a hassle not worth it. They have tough standards to meet with the underlying car company and any such rumors (disgruntled employees / customer complaints / some ethical employee) results in a lot of repercussions. Even in this forum the general consensus seem to be yes - perhaps a joy ride / a bump (accident) is possible by switching parts: not that often.
Sorry for rambling here: They finally identified the electrical problem and requested 1 more day (as a new part is required). Keeping my fingers : crossed.

Don't even consider them switching parts on your car. Forget it. Wouldn't happen. Not to worry about. When I was a business owner, it would cost me less to order OEM part then to switch it with what? Aftermarket that doesn't even exist? And explain to the tech why do I want him to do it? Nah, never happens at the busy shop.

I had 30% off retail as independent from a dealer. What do you think their margin is on OEM parts? They wouldn't bother for the peanuts.

Last edited:
If my memory is correct, the newers Corvette have a nanny camera that activate on valet mode, so you know if any valet attendant was burning rubber as soon a you move inside a venue.
Later, a judge said that it is ilegal recording.

I think a lot depends on the dealership. This particular one I have personally been to - and everyone behaves and talks like a gentleman (at least in service). Reviews overall are also good (service). I think I might have jumped the gun here but my better half was getting really panicky and it got the better of me. In my humble and personal opinion I don't think they even take it out for a quick spin before consulting the owner. I once was there from almost morning till evening and usually by that time there's always 1 altercation witnessed. In this place - didn't see any and everyone seem to be satisfied - arriving/leaving.

This thread reminds me of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ5jchmvkFQ&feature=youtu.be

Anyway, on topic... A long time ago I had my car at the dealer and they said my battery was testing low. When I told my regular mechanic that he said most likely they had a commission contest going on who could sell the most batteries. He used to work at a dealer and they would always push OEM parts, but if they were out he said they'd use aftermarket and still charge OEM prices.

Counterpoint: I have an excellent Mazda dealership in Mesa, AZ (CardinaleWay). I have an excellent relationship with this dealership since I have bought 5 vehicles from them and take my Mazdaspeed3 in for service there. They have installed all of my CS and Damond mods. I have the same technician work on all of my 3 current Mazdas. My service writer is excellent and totally up front with me, the salesman and sales manager have been as transparent as I have ever experienced in my 65 years. They are not all bad or sinister

Counterpoint: I have an excellent Mazda dealership in Mesa, AZ (CardinaleWay). I have an excellent relationship with this dealership since I have bought 5 vehicles from them and take my Mazdaspeed3 in for service there. They have installed all of my CS and Damond mods. I have the same technician work on all of my 3 current Mazdas. My service writer is excellent and totally up front with me, the salesman and sales manager have been as transparent as I have ever experienced in my 65 years. They are not all bad or sinister
Dave, you should really stick to these guys. This is very unusual to hear about excellent experience at any service provider, let alone the dealer. Guys in the area, take a note.

Honesty aside, the dealer is usually really expensive compared to what it would cost at a regular mechanic.

Got the front bumper of my Mazda6 paint protection film installed from them. (did the rest myself)

They are hard to haggle on price ONLY because their car sales prices are already low.

My wife's car went in for a quick repair but part was not available. They provided a loaner. Said will take 2 days. After 2 days they said the tech who knows that section didn't come in and offered to keep the loaner. Now its approximately 6 days. In between I called and dealer told me they have a problem and have contacted main office for advise (its an electrical problem) but main office have not got back yet. Today I called the main office. Checking the VIN they are saying no one from this dealership requested anything yet.

I am now horribly worried. Can this happen that being a new car the dealership is quietly replacing parts/etc., etc. ? Is that at all common? OR - its quite common to have car @ dealership for upwards of 6 to 7 days against electrical/electronic type of problems. Is there anything I can do?

The answer to your question is a resounding, Yes! You should be very concerned when you take your vehicle to any dealer and are given an estimate, only to have that estimate expanded by several hundred percent! Yes, be concerned. Be very concerned. Think about it. Factory Trained Mechanics give you an estimate and that estimate has not increased by 300% or more.

Mere parts swapping is one thing to be concerned about. However, the real big concern should be the planting of repairs in your vehicle down range - designed to "go off" at some point in the future. "Go Off" simply means the creation of a problem that you can't detect right now and won't detect until it grows worse over time. A repair time bomb of sorts. Simply loosening connectors and making them easily separable with normal vibration. Simply loosening bolts - not enough to cause immediate failure, but enough to cause a knock over time as you put more miles on the vehicle. A bolt that would otherwise never cause a serious problem, but that would be enough to bring you back complaining of a "knock" that suddenly developed. There are at least a billion reasons WHY you never want to leave your vehicle at a dealer overnight if at all possible.

Planting future repair bills is not uncommon in this industry, unfortunately. It does happen. And, it does happen a lot more than those who work in the industry are willing to admit. Work extra hard in finding a Trusted Mechanic locally for that point in the future when your vehicle is no longer under warranty. Then keep your enemies close and your allies even closer whenever you need to go in for "repairs." You don't want to go in with 1 repair that you know about and come out with 3 future repairs that you don't even know exist - until some point in the future.

It is a corrupt business. That's just a fact. There is plenty of evidence over the years to proof that. So, Trust in your Mechanic is of paramount importance. Finding one you can trust implicitly is often worse than trying to locate a needle in a haystack while blindfolded, gagged and both hands tied behind your back.

Trusted and Knowledgeable Mechanic. That's the key to piece of mind. Even if he or she lives 50 miles away.

You are very fortunate and live inside a very rare condition these days. I wish I had that kind of Dealership. Trustworthy, honest, sincere and transparent.

I would rob a bank in order to find such a Dealer. I would climb Mount Everest. I would crash a White House Cocktail Party and then be carried off by 400 secret service agents, just to gain access to such a Dealer. I would ride the back of a Bottlenose Dolphin across the entire span of the Indian Ocean to find such a Dealer. I would watch 2,798 re-runs of Love Boat, in order to get a mere glimpse at such a Dealer. I would become former Governor Chris Christie's personal trainer and guarantee 200lbs in weight loss in just 3 weeks -and- actually deliver, just to get a whiff from a Dealer like that.

Finding the kind of Customer Centered Dealer that you have just described is like finding Valhalla, somewhere in North Asgard.

Congratulations on that find! You must be very happy, indeed.

Back