I am seriously worried ... can this happen?

The answer to your question is a resounding, Yes! ....

Wow, and I thought I was cynical.
Could be said about almost ANY business.
I agree that it happens far too often, but I think the number of honest people is a good bit higher than you suggest.
And planting timebombs is fraught with peril for the perp. (blowup)

The answer to your question is a resounding, Yes! You should be very concerned when you take your vehicle to any dealer and are given an estimate, only to have that estimate expanded by several hundred percent! Yes, be concerned. Be very concerned. Think about it. Factory Trained Mechanics give you an estimate and that estimate has not increased by 300% or more.

Mere parts swapping is one thing to be concerned about. However, the real big concern should be the planting of repairs in your vehicle down range - designed to "go off" at some point in the future. "Go Off" simply means the creation of a problem that you can't detect right now and won't detect until it grows worse over time. A repair time bomb of sorts. Simply loosening connectors and making them easily separable with normal vibration. Simply loosening bolts - not enough to cause immediate failure, but enough to cause a knock over time as you put more miles on the vehicle. A bolt that would otherwise never cause a serious problem, but that would be enough to bring you back complaining of a "knock" that suddenly developed. There are at least a billion reasons WHY you never want to leave your vehicle at a dealer overnight if at all possible.

Planting future repair bills is not uncommon in this industry, unfortunately. It does happen. And, it does happen a lot more than those who work in the industry are willing to admit. Work extra hard in finding a Trusted Mechanic locally for that point in the future when your vehicle is no longer under warranty. Then keep your enemies close and your allies even closer whenever you need to go in for "repairs." You don't want to go in with 1 repair that you know about and come out with 3 future repairs that you don't even know exist - until some point in the future.

It is a corrupt business. That's just a fact. There is plenty of evidence over the years to proof that. So, Trust in your Mechanic is of paramount importance. Finding one you can trust implicitly is often worse than trying to locate a needle in a haystack while blindfolded, gagged and both hands tied behind your back.

Trusted and Knowledgeable Mechanic. That's the key to piece of mind. Even if he or she lives 50 miles away.

I did have my wife's car later reviewed by a mechanic I implicitly trust. He told me there are ALWAYS tell-tale signs. Especially as the car's relatively new. He checked end to end. Other than the area they actually worked on, he did not find anything extraordinary - like finger-prints, shiny bolts, etc. In fact, he was pleasantly surprised to find small paint marks across many components which are factory going across 2 joints. He also looked at various bolts and found them all good. There's not much that can be done now, except keeping fingers crossed.

Also this dealership is well aware that I do not bring in the car or my wife brings it in that often. In fact, only for recalls and serious service. They know I do most of my oil changes myself, wife's car included. Brakes - I take care also. Other than some funky engine diagostics / infotainment / etc. there's not much business to be got from my end for sure.

Last edited:
Counterpoint: I have an excellent Mazda dealership in Mesa, AZ (CardinaleWay). I have an excellent relationship with this dealership since I have bought 5 vehicles from them and take my Mazdaspeed3 in for service there. They have installed all of my CS and Damond mods. I have the same technician work on all of my 3 current Mazdas. My service writer is excellent and totally up front with me, the salesman and sales manager have been as transparent as I have ever experienced in my 65 years. They are not all bad or sinister

Just an update: While I lost my technician who became the Service Manager at a large operation about 20 miles away. He will be my go-to if the dealership ever fails me. The tech that cares for my cars now has owned 3 Mazdaspeeds, so that makes it great when I come in with routine maintenance. I routinely walk back to the service bay to check in with him, look under my vehicle and look for issues.

I’m kinda freaked out by the flimsy looking anchors for the rear sway bar. I discovered one broken but wonder if there is an aftermarket part for these sway bar links.

Latest posts

Back