Battery Question: How good is Odyssey 35-PC1400T?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Does anyone has any leads on how good Odyssey batteries are? For CX-5 its coming up with part #: 35-PC1400T. They have full (not pro-rated) warranty of 4 years. They are indeed a bit costly so asking.

Does anyone has any leads on how good Odyssey batteries are? For CX-5 its coming up with part #: 35-PC1400T. They have full (not pro-rated) warranty of 4 years. They are indeed a bit costly so asking.

I don't know, but if you are not buying it locally and it fails, how long before the new battery arrives? What will you do while waiting?

I bought my last few batteries at Costco. They now sell Interstate, so anywhere in the country, if i have a battery issue, I know i can get a new one with little effort. Also, do some math and determine if the extra cost is really worth it when compared to cost savings on a pro-rated battery. Especially when most batteries go 4 years without a problem.

I see on Amazon they have great reviews though.

I had one in my Mazda5 and loved it... first 2 batteries (oem, and dealers USA made replacement) went around 2 years each, then I decided to upgrade to the Odyssey... the Odyssey was over 4 yrs old and working fine when I sold the vehicle.

You will not believe how much heavier it is! It uses a virgin lead instead of an lead alloy. Resulting battery is about 20% heavier than the original, that is really the only downfall. The reserve capacity and CCA on the Odyssey is fantastic. Plus it truly is a sealed/no maintenance unit.

Last edited:
Maths
Up-front costs:
$260 - Odyssey
$75 - Interstate from Costco

Warranty:
Interstate 3 years full replacement
Odyssey: 4 years full replacement

Expected life:
Interstate: 4 years.
Odyssey: 8 years

Final price:
Interstate: $75 x 2 = $150
Odyssey: $260 x 1 = $260
[I will not consider pro-rated returns for Interstate as it makes calculations too complex]

Notes: For Odyssey to break even - it has to last at least +12 years or $75 x 3 = $225 ; even then Interstate comes out cheaper. To be noted here - Costco offers 2% cash back + 1% for Costco CC so brings down Costco price even more and as noted above - the 2nd. Interstate will be cheaper as Costco will give back some $$ for the 1st - as pro-rated. Also personally I don't think Odyssey will last 12 years.
Finally, I don't presume many will keep the car for additional 12 years so the up-front cost won't break even, ever.

Not sure though of running conditions - i.e. having such a great battery - does bring with it peace of mind ; for example waking up on a freezing cold morning and finding battery dead - giving a $ figure to that is tough. Then - having such great reserve power, awesome CCA ratings - those do add some serious +ve to getting an Odyssey.
However, at the same time it balances out with the fact that Odyssey batteries are a little harder to maintain perhaps - even their website states the importance to keeping its charge always above 12.x V otherwise its life will be drastically reduced, etc.

Last edited:
Back