1999 mazda protege 1.6l - bogging down and low idle at start

gazaian1

:
1999 mazda protege 1.6l
When I go to start the car it will bog down while in park and acts as if it's going to die then it corrects it self and idles fine, but when I put it in drive and go it has low power and I have to sometimes floor it.

I have changed ( fuel pump and housing, new coil packs, plug wires, spark plugs, new oxygen sensor, new intake hose, new radiator, new coolant temp sensor, new pcv valve, new exhaust manifold gasket, new valve cover gasket ) I have cleaned the egr valve and throttle body and replaced the " maf sensor " 3 times ( 1 new, and the other 2 were used ).

I do hear a hissing sound coming from my air cleaner box where the air filter is, I only have 2 clips on mine I am wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I should also mention the cylinder head was resurfaced a few months ago and all gaskets replaced along with water pump and all belts are new.

Sometimes when I rev the engine at start it will sometimes backfire into the air cleaner box

Any help appreciated thanks,
Ian

The hissing sound is air escaping from the not fully closed air box. You need the find the other two clips. Sounds like this is why your car wants to stall actually.

Also, have you checked your idle air control valve?

Hi GJ,

Thanks for your comment, so I took the throttle off and the IAC cleaned both of them and reassembled but I still have the same issue. So I researched online how to read trouble codes since my protege is obd1 with the gray port under the hood.

I made a video of the flashes but I'm not sure how to read it https://youtu.be/Mm4F6wtySqc if you know how to read it please let me know the trouble codes that would be much appreciated thanks.

Back