Blown away by this after market HUD...

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Guys - in no way shape or form I am associated with this company but recently saw their stuff on display in an Expo and was blown away. They had a simulator also and few I know who tried are actual race drivers and they were impressed too. The good part : unlike the 30 odd HUD displays sold today this one actually works in broad daylight. Next, it can project whatever one has on smartphone even if the smart phone is in one's pocket. The only caveat as of now: if Apple then as soon as Apple's Airplay is triggered both display AND voice goes to this device. The only currently available way is to route the voice via USB or AUX. Its not their fault but Apple's restrictions. With Android there's no such issue.
The display is projected as if its 20 odd feet in front and its just awesome. They also have / will have OBD2 scanners, etc. pretty soon. I am very excited and cost wise too - it's not too heavy on wallet right now - if ordered.

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ericshun/hudly-wireless-focus-on-the-road?ref=user_menu

Video: https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/3166565/video-840780-h264_high.mp4

forgot to mention and I should have: I have backed it in Kickstarter. (This ought to be my disclaimer - but if you know Kickstarter - it's not a big deal to just pay and back something).

1 last thing - they plan to come up with a dash cam type of thing which will talk to this display. This cam will provide lane departure warning/forward collision warning/etc., etc. I believe there are some cams already doing this but having 1 system - integrated: will be great. They will also have bluetooth enabled TPMS sensors which can detect tire-by-tire pressure and it'll be plug and play type, am being told. The good part - they already have 1 successful product in the market so it's not a fly by night operation.

Guys - in no way shape or form I am associated with this company but recently saw their stuff on display in an Expo and was blown away. They had a simulator also and few I know who tried are actual race drivers and they were impressed too. The good part : unlike the 30 odd HUD displays sold today this one actually works in broad daylight. Next, it can project whatever one has on smartphone even if the smart phone is in one's pocket. The only caveat as of now: if Apple then as soon as Apple's Airplay is triggered both display AND voice goes to this device. The only currently available way is to route the voice via USB or AUX. Its not their fault but Apple's restrictions. With Android there's no such issue.
The display is projected as if its 20 odd feet in front and its just awesome. They also have / will have OBD2 scanners, etc. pretty soon. I am very excited and cost wise too - it's not too heavy on wallet right now - if ordered.

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ericshun/hudly-wireless-focus-on-the-road?ref=user_menu

Video: https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/3166565/video-840780-h264_high.mp4

forgot to mention and I should have: I have backed it in Kickstarter. (This ought to be my disclaimer - but if you know Kickstarter - it's not a big deal to just pay and back something).

1 last thing - they plan to come up with a dash cam type of thing which will talk to this display. This cam will provide lane departure warning/forward collision warning/etc., etc. I believe there are some cams already doing this but having 1 system - integrated: will be great. They will also have bluetooth enabled TPMS sensors which can detect tire-by-tire pressure and it'll be plug and play type, am being told. The good part - they already have 1 successful product in the market so it's not a fly by night operation.

Thanks for this.
Though my '17 CX-5 has the factory HUD, I've been looking for a unit to install in my '17 MX-5 Miata RF.
This may be the ticket and as such I've just become a backer.

Looking forward to the projected April ship date to learn how well it works in practice!

P.S. I just shared this information on Miata.net ... several have tried current HUDs with poor results. Perhaps more backers will join the campaign.

Last edited:
My Garmin dashcam does forward collision warning... a model up from mine will do lane departure as well.

I got burned by the Tiko 3D printer fiasco on Kickstarter so resistant to back any tech related projects on there. So far haven't had that experience on Indiegogo. Tiko project is insolvent at this point and bankruptcy proceedings are occurring as I speak. They asked for shipping money as they knew the ship was going down...but pretended that everything was ok.

Last edited:
My Garmin dashcam does forward collision warning... a model up from mine will do lane departure as well.

I got burned by the Tiko 3D printer fiasco on Kickstarter so resistant to back any tech related projects on there. So far haven't had that experience on Indiegogo. Tiko project is insolvent at this point and bankruptcy proceedings are occurring as I speak. They asked for shipping money as they knew the ship was going down...but pretended that everything was ok.

Which is why I wrote - these folks already have a successful product and this is their version #2. Being in CES and actually seeing the product itself gave me tremendous confidence.

Your point on Garmin: That is absolutely correct and in fact there's no a s/w which allows you to point the rear facing camera outside and in your smart phone screen give you forward collision warning / lane departure warning /etc. Its $40 for the s/w. However, the advantage here will be it will be integrated. In other words the screen will continue to show Waze (for example) but those 2 alerts will occupy little to none screen real estate - pop-up and go.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Navdy which produced a similar product but just closed and stopped all support. Hope this one works out better.

Not too impressed with the image display quality. Glare and direct sunlight may make this even worse than it looks on that video.

Not too impressed with the image display quality. Glare and direct sunlight may make this even worse than it looks on that video.

There are other videos showing exactly what you mentioned, further down in the KS page. Also YT has some videos showing actual usage in broad daylight under direct sunlight. In CES a 1000 lumen LED flash-light was shown right into it but was still visible.

Back