2016 at dealership - 2017 loaner

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Well my 2016 is at dealership and then loaned me a RAV4 and I ended up driving it only in SPORTS mode. Gave it back and they gave me a 2017 but not the highest trim. It feels identical while driving in comparison to 2016. The brakes are slightly better but this is around 4000 miles whereas mine's at 28,000. Frankly I like the embedded infotainment in 2016 better but 2017 interiors are little better (classier). Nothing to drop 2016 and go for 2017 though. They dropped the little cubicle besides the shift knob where I am used to putting my wallet and other papers though. Bad. I missed it, dearly. I think in 2017 - there's now less space to thrown stuff into, if driver.

The only real difference I am feeling is 2017 is a bit quieter perhaps and secondly the thumps are felt less, in other words it takes the bumps on the road a bit better. I am torn if that's indeed the case since this car is much new (in terms of ODO) and mine's 19-inch while this is 18-inch wheels. This is apparent even more (quietness) when in SPORTS mode - mine growls whereas this one - doesn't. In comparison though and my son agreed - RAV4 was even quieter.

My wife drove about 5 miles and told me the shift knob shifts up/down a bit smoother.

The other surprising aspect being acceleration. My 2016 seem to accelerate from stop or while cruising (reaction time on gas press) better than this loaner - quicker/more reactive in mine than in 2017.

There's 1 thing funny. I drove about 40 miles - cruised. It constantly bothered me but for the life of me could not put a finger on it. All thru, above 55 - 65 mph I feel I constantly heard a distinct but extremely low volume whistling/whining sound. I never heard anything like it in my 2016. Even my 10-year old heard it and said it's like Mom's car - which is a CVT. Note - children by default hear a higher frequency range. I don't know if its "crazy talk" but did hear it.

Just wanted to share and get some feedback regarding what changed in 2017 - I read its Gen #2 but really to be considered a 2nd. generation - I don't see much/any significant differences.

BTW: I like the front of 2016 better.

Last edited:
It's the same engine in essence. My guess is the loaner has been driven hard during it's 4000 mile life and hasn't been maintained by the dealership

As for acceleration, Mazda has made a big deal about how the response time in the 2017 is much better than before. Guess my previous point also applies to this.

FYI - the 2 times I've test driven the 2017, response has been spot on, better than my just sold 6

It's the same engine in essence. My guess is the loaner has been driven hard during it's 4000 mile life and hasn't been maintained by the dealership

As for acceleration, Mazda has made a big deal about how the response time in the 2017 is much better than before. Guess my previous point also applies to this.

FYI - the 2 times I've test driven the 2017, response has been spot on, better than my just sold 6

X - actually in this dealership they are known to take good care of their cars. So much so that they swap tires many times during winter even for loaners. As I said - it's a perception perhaps - regarding acceleration. Also I have heard this many times - a car gets used to its owner so perhaps that's why my 2016 felt as if accelerates faster? Now that I write it - I think 19-inch vs 18-inch will have a play in acceleration. With 19-inch I think it'll be a tad quicker.

Again just my thoughts. However - that low hum/whistle bothered me. If someone never drove a 2016 and jumped and bought a 2017 most probably won't even notice it however I was feeling it as everything else looks and feels the same.

X - actually in this dealership they are known to take good care of their cars. So much so that they swap tires many times during winter even for loaners. As I said - it's a perception perhaps - regarding acceleration. Also I have heard this many times - a car gets used to its owner so perhaps that's why my 2016 felt as if accelerates faster? Now that I write it - I think 19-inch vs 18-inch will have a play in acceleration. With 19-inch I think it'll be a tad quicker.

Ok so they look after the car which leads in to your second point (which I forgot to mention) - yes the car does learn the drivers habits. If it has been driven gently then reaction time will be slower. After several times of hard acceleration and driving, it should speed up. Automatic transmission module/processor/brains etc are adaptive

Again just my thoughts. However - that low hum/whistle bothered me. If someone never drove a 2016 and jumped and bought a 2017 most probably won't even notice it however I was feeling it as everything else looks and feels the same.

Didn't notice any whistling although my driving was up to 80km/h (50mph). Maybe an issue with that one (uhm)

Haven't read here any 2017 owners suffering this issue.

X - actually it seems there is!! I also thought so and decided to do a quick check of this great forum.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862808-Hissing-noise-at-40-mph-for-2017-CX-5

So could be either transmission or as the other poster said in that thread roof racks.... So far not that many people suffering this issue which is a good thing

See posts #11, #13, etc. and they mention others noticed too.

Post 13 says maybe a widespread issue but so far doesn't seem to be.

BTW: Thanks buddy

No problem (thumb)

Last edited:
Not widespread - I agree!! Otherwise this forum would have been flooded by now - especially as CX-5 sells so many!

Not widespread - I agree!! Otherwise this forum would have been flooded by now - especially as CX-5 sells so many!

(iagree)

There are always some "dud" vehicles out there unfortunately but thank goodness it isn't many.

My experience with loaners is that they seem to be cars that either had issues and got returned or something happened to them like a accident. Dealerships use them so they are not wasted.

My experience with loaners is that they seem to be cars that either had issues and got returned or something happened to them like a accident. Dealerships use them so they are not wasted.

Or driven by sales reps as personal vehicle then moved into loaner fleet

I had a '17 loaner a while back and I agree, didn't seem to accelerate as well. Definitely was a difference.

Last edited:
Interesting, I did notice a low hum or whistling noise at certain speeds 50+ mph when I first got the car. However it's no longer there now, and I just hit 10k miles recently. I think I've only noticed the noise on the first few thousand miles. I couldn't figure out what it was, I thought it was sound bouncing off other cars or something. I'm just happy the noise is gone, it was a bit bothersome at times lol

It's all about ones perception when it comes to acceleration

I quickly learned that having a feather foot with this vehicle gets the transmission to upshift from first to second really quick. It’s too quick in my opinion as the engine just slightly lugs at the transition. By being a bit firmer on the pedal from the start the car stays in first longer and the shift to second is much smoother.

All cars have their idiosyncrasies. Once you figure out what the engine likes then you stick with it.

One way to understand this is to drive in manual mode for a bit then compare that experience to the regular drive mode.

I quickly learned that having a feather foot with this vehicle gets the transmission to upshift from first to second really quick. It’s too quick in my opinion as the engine just slightly lugs at the transition. By being a bit firmer on the pedal from the start the car stays in first longer and the shift to second is much smoother.

All cars have their idiosyncrasies. Once you figure out what the engine likes then you stick with it.

One way to understand this is to drive in manual mode for a bit then compare that experience to the regular drive mode.

That's because even though they have tuned the transmission to respond more quickly, the underlying mantra of fuel economy is still there. Hence the quick shifts on light throttle.

(iagree) with your points

Had RAV4 - did not like it, exchanged it for CX5. Hum/response/etc. are against 2017 CX5. Sorry for the confusion

I had a 2013 Rav4 Limited and grew to really dislike it. After getting hit from behind in traffic, (10k in damage) it had to go. I traded for a 2018 CX-9.

My apologies for I know my post is off topic. I just wanted you know that I didn't like my Rav4 either... and it wasn't for lack of trying! This after a lifetime of Toyotas.

I had a 2013 Rav4 Limited and grew to really dislike it. After getting hit from behind in traffic, (10k in damage) it had to go. I traded for a 2018 CX-9.

My apologies for I know my post is off topic. I just wanted you know that I didn't like my Rav4 either... and it wasn't for lack of trying! This after a lifetime of Toyotas.

My feeling for RAV4 was (purely from shifting perspective) its gives a solid oomph when from stop ; much better than CX-5. But after that: dead. I was forced to permanently use SPORTS mode. That ate a lotta gas. So I exchanged with CX-5 2017. CX-5 is smooth acceleration from from stop (of course not flooring the pedal, etc.) but need to test Puyapim's thought on feather touch.

Back