16 Years Later, I got one

I just got my yellow 2003 P5 about 2 weeks ago - paid $3420 - which for Portland wasn't bad. 182,000 miles, tinted windows, full leather (which I dig and have missed every since I sold my cabrio), factory roof rack still in the box and it has a 12 inch jbl sub with pheonix gold amps all hidden under the rear floor and dyno matted (I honestly would have taken the car for $200 less and they kept that stuff but its in there). They did a refresh of the yellow paint over the entire top half of the body (maybe the whole thing, can't tell for sure) so its bright and smooth.

Congrats on the score....had mine for over 14 yrs now brand new from dealer. 03.5 at 100k miles....just recently.

Got To Texas !!!!
I've heard they are ALL Unicorns in Texas !!!

There's fricken herds of them !!;!

If mine is a transplant, did it turn into a unicorn?

(it spent time in Nebraska, Alaska, and South Dakota before it moved to Texas)

Last edited:
Congrats on the score....had mine for over 14 yrs now brand new from dealer. 03.5 at 100k miles....just recently.

I also have a 1 owner P5. It's hard to consider trading it in on something when it's this much fun to drive (and there are no car payments).

Pulled off the wheels last weekend and looked at all the necessary bolts and nuts that need to be removed for a spring upgrade - no rust anywhere! Relieved!

Cool, I've been in the P5 club since April 2018. Didn't know there was a P5 club for about 3 months after buying mine, ha. I like reading what folks have to say about the car.
I'd get an OBD2 scan to see what else you got too.
After mine I went looking around and found this https://imgur.com/ofImR7r Thats the vapor canister vent valve and the charcoal filter I believe. Both disconnected but have power.
I've since put that back to how it should be but can't help but ponder the thought of why it was disconnected in the first place. Unscrupulous mechanic? Someone unplugged it accidentally? Who knows.

Also, if I may ask is your front Mazda emblem gone?

...Thats the vapor canister vent valve and the charcoal filter I believe. Both disconnected but have power.
I've since put that back to how it should be but can't help but ponder the thought of why it was disconnected in the first place...

If you overfill our car at the pump, fuel runs backwards down the vent tube (A), into the evaporative two way check valve (7) then fills up the air filter (6) with liquid fuel.

Then the next time you're at the gas station your pump handle keeps clicking off and it takes 20 minutes to fill your gas tank.

Perhaps the air filter was disconnected to drain it so he could refuel the car.

One guy sucked up fuel to the charcoal filter under the hood (the catch tank) and said it was gurgling like a bong... It was full of liquid fuel after he overfilled his fuel tank.

I'm wondering whether or not he would throw an EVAP leak code with that hose disconnected,. ?? Maybe not,. ??

@PCB
Interesting, in a bad way. Thanks for the information. I would never fill to FULL as I imagine the fuel system to just be a game of Microsoft Pipedream and the whole screen covered would be BAD
If you want to know what codes I got from an Autozone scan; I have quoted from the printout:
P0421 Warmup catalyst efficiency below normal (bank 1) O2 sensor going bad I hope as thats the code for a bad catalytic converter (need to test)
P0451 EVAP pressure sensor circuit range/preformance Gastank evaporated sensor bad or always low because my EVAP pipes were disconnected
P0455 EVAP system blockage or large leak (0.080") That would be the disconnected pipes! And hopefully thats all thats leaking!

I just feel I'm in the same position as OP. 16 years later I got a cool station wagon in the form of a P5

Back