HD Radio Traffic App - Anybody Using It?

Red MC

:
'17 CX-5 GT, '17 Fusion Platinum, '17 Pacifica Limited
Unfortunately, I have to buy a car this weekend.

My only reservations with the CX-5 are: the diesel isn't available yet, there's no live traffic in the nav, and no Android Auto either. I suppose I could live without having live traffic integrated with the nav system, but I at least want a live traffic view and don't really want to mount my phone on the dash. Hence my question about the HD radio traffic app. How is it? I previously test drove a 2017 GT and the HD Traffic App came up blank, same for another CX-5 they had on the lot, so I haven't been able to play with it. From reading about it, I gather there is no control to zoom it in or out. Is that true? From looking at screenshots on the web, it looks like the view is pretty zoomed out, showing a whole metropolitan area at once. Do you find that useful? How frequently does it update?

Thanks in advance.

It ONLY shows traffic conditions on major roads/interstates and map still does not show northern loop of I-485 Which was completed several years ago. In other words it’s pretty much useless.

It is not that much help unless all you want to check is traffic on main roads. Waze is a superior app for traffic and navigation.

I used to use Waze, and it's perfect for this, except it's on a small phone screen and is hard to read while driving. More recently, I've been using the Android Auto app because it's easier to read, so less distracted driving. It looks like the best option for mounting a phone on the CX-5 is the left center console vent. But I really don't want to go there if I don't have to.

The HD traffic map does not give you enough information to make decisions on which route to take. In other words, it's useless. If having useful routing information in the infotainment system is really really important to you, then I suggest you do not buy a CX-5.
With that said, there are many other reasons you should buy a CX-5, compared to other cars in it's class (style, ride comfort, sporty etc etc).
I'm a huge tech geek, and I knew the infotainment system was going to be disappointing before I bought it, but the CX-5 blows the competition in nearly every other category. I just couldn't imagine myself driving around in an ugly ford or chevy, with poor handling and performance, just so I can have Android Auto.

Last edited:
I recently bought car #2. Non-availability of integrated traffic completely removed Mazda from the equation. It all depends on personal needs. My wife will drive the car #2 and her commute has heavy problems with volatile traffic patterns.

hey Red- i used it a few times around the Boston area. As you head north towards Maine, the map remains static and you simply drive "off" of it... if that makes any sense.

You couldn't zoom in/out either as noted. I do think it was relatively accurate (showing Mass highways during rush hour as congested), but that's also kind of a "master of the obvious" situation, as most folks in the area know how cluttered those roads can be.

I found Waze to be more useful, but then again you have to keep glancing down at your screen.

Mine was a 2016 CX5, but I doubt much has changed.

Thanks for the info everybody. I don't want to open another debate about AA/CP, so I won't mention that again.

The dealer I was shopping at is near Concord, NH. Perhaps that's too far away from Boston, and that's why I got a blank screen when I launched the app. My commute is in the Boston metro area though.

Now I have a hard decision...

I used to use Waze, and it's perfect for this, except it's on a small phone screen and is hard to read while driving. More recently, I've been using the Android Auto app because it's easier to read, so less distracted driving. It looks like the best option for mounting a phone on the CX-5 is the left center console vent. But I really don't want to go there if I don't have to.

Yeah one problem with the 2017/2018 CX-5 is that there is not a good place to mount a phone on the dash. On my 2016 CX-5, I use a friction mounted dash pad to attach the phone mount to. When I drove my mom's CX-5, I could not find a good place to put it on and so I drove with my phone on the cup holders and just listening to the turn by turn navigations. I'm not a fan of installing mounts on AC vents or on the windshield (this is also illegal in some states). I think for the 2017/2018 CX-5, the best option for a phone mount is to get a long one and stick it on the dash just behind the infotainment screen.

Yeah one problem with the 2017/2018 CX-5 is that there is not a good place to mount a phone on the dash. On my 2016 CX-5, I use a friction mounted dash pad to attach the phone mount to. When I drove my mom's CX-5, I could not find a good place to put it on and so I drove with my phone on the cup holders and just listening to the turn by turn navigations. I'm not a fan of installing mounts on AC vents or on the windshield (this is also illegal in some states). I think for the 2017/2018 CX-5, the best option for a phone mount is to get a long one and stick it on the dash just behind the infotainment screen.

New to the Mazda family and first post here after lurking for ˜1 month, right after getting my CX-5. Great info so far thus wanted to chime in here:
a) Navigation app: Active Waze user on my earlier ride (2004, thus tech dated), have attempted Mazda Connect Navigation app a few times but keep going back to Waze due to: 1) Route selection -even with map version E keeps taking me off highways even with them selected on route settings- 2) Live traffic data, 3) Road alerts (work, objects, police, etc)

[1/19 EDIT to clarify base affixed to button housing, not button itself]
b) Smartphone placement: Used to have a ProClips mount on previous car thus was my first option. Yes, they have 3 options but the one that matches my car -HUD with no CD- is very bulky and looks ugly. Long story short, bought a magnetic phone mount and affixed to the top of the warning signal button [housing] between center vents. Have used a few times and seems to be a good complement to the HUD, pretty much on same line of sight and can orient either vertically or horizontally. Didn't go the vent clipped route as tried on other family car and didn't like them as blocking air, sliding across the vent and many times came off the vents upon picking up the phone.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, is the phone mount affixed to the hazard button with an adhesive?

This is what you guys need - Hudly Wireles v2 in Kickstarter. You can keep your phone in your pocket. Its not too late to order at a very discounted price and shipping starts from March this year.

Just to clarify, is the phone mount affixed to the hazard button with an adhesive?

Appreciate the concern, but affixed to the top of the housing, not the button itself. Hazard button is perfectly functional -and accessible- when smartphone in landscape view

New to the Mazda family and first post here after lurking for ˜1 month, right after getting my CX-5. Great info so far thus wanted to chime in here:
[1/19 EDIT to clarify base affixed to button housing, not button itself]
b) Smartphone placement: Used to have a ProClips mount on previous car thus was my first option. Yes, they have 3 options but the one that matches my car -HUD with no CD- is very bulky and looks ugly. Long story short, bought a magnetic phone mount and affixed to the top of the warning signal button [housing] between center vents. Have used a few times and seems to be a good complement to the HUD, pretty much on same line of sight and can orient either vertically or horizontally. Didn't go the vent clipped route as tried on other family car and didn't like them as blocking air, sliding across the vent and many times came off the vents upon picking up the phone.

Can you post a pic showing this in your car?

At dealership - best position saw:

Apple USB cable - running from dash, behind steering wheel. Going up from driver side door panel ; into A-pillar driver side.

Owner said: Took off the A-pillar driver side (very easy, just few clips) ; drill a hole 3/8 ; push a mount thru hole ; put back A-pillar. Careful to to it BELOW the air curtains ; very nice and looks OEM with a mount point NOT sticking out and into which he puts a magnetic holder. On magnet puts phone - landscape mode. VERY NICE. Touching/resting on top part of dash - the phone.
Oh sorry - thru the hole the cable also comes out ; so he can add to phone.

What I have ? In my 2016 there's this useless hole driver side. Into which i jammed a mount (Diagonal) and it has a long pole and into which my phone. Works perfect.

I personally hate dash/windshield mounts so in my 16.5 my ghetto rig is to simply snake a usb cable out of the armrest , connect to the phone & leave on the little console platform resting on an angle in front of the usb slots...sucks that we have to resort to this ish but it works, iphone fits surprisingly well on its side allowing me to see waze in landscape just fine

Can you post a pic showing this in your car?

Let's see if this works:
  • Magnetic base, passenger view CX-5 magnetic base passenger lores.jpg
  • Magnetic base close-up, passenger view CX-5 magnetic base close-up passenger lores.jpg
  • Smartphone vertical w power cable, driver view CX-5 iPhone vertical driver lores.jpg
  • Smartphone horizontal, driver view CX-5 both landscape driver lores.jpg
  • Smartphone vertical & cluster, driver viewCX-5 both landscape cluster view driver lores.jpg

Magnetic holder base is made of plastic and was wider & deeper than hazard button housing, hence trimmed sides & front so doesn't extend beyond housing. Cut finish shows a bit hence tinkering with the idea of replacing with another base, however the smallest metal one I've found (LILER Mini Universal in AMZN) is 1"diameter, while housing seems to be ~0.75" wide

Last edited:
Seems like a ProClip inspired hack

At dealership - best position saw:

Apple USB cable - running from dash, behind steering wheel. Going up from driver side door panel ; into A-pillar driver side.

Owner said: Took off the A-pillar driver side (very easy, just few clips) ; drill a hole 3/8 ; push a mount thru hole ; put back A-pillar. Careful to to it BELOW the air curtains ; very nice and looks OEM with a mount point NOT sticking out and into which he puts a magnetic holder. On magnet puts phone - landscape mode. VERY NICE. Touching/resting on top part of dash - the phone.
Oh sorry - thru the hole the cable also comes out ; so he can add to phone.

Sounds pretty much like one of ProClips mounts for the 2017 Nissan Qashqai. ProClips_Qashqai_2017.jpg

Had I been in the market for a driver side only mount would have probably contacted them for CX-5 fitness. But as wanted passenger to also be able to change address (and we know Mazda's Navigation App limitations for this) opted for a center mount base.

Let's see if this works:

Magnetic holder base is made of plastic and was wider & deeper than hazard button housing, hence trimmed sides & front so doesn't extend beyond housing. Cut finish shows a bit hence tinkering with the idea of replacing with another base, however the smallest metal one I've found (LILER Mini Universal in AMZN) is 1"diameter, while housing seems to be ~0.75" wide

That's actually a nice looking clean setup! Thanks for sharing.

Back