Pizza wheels no more

So finally decided to do the chrome delete and get my wheels powder coated in gloss black . I will post pictures of the whole car once is 100% done. But here are the pizza wheels in gloss black.

2w33lld.jpg

k4cr4o.jpg

Nice, hope you don't suffer from kerb scratches as it might be expensive to repair!

I agree...this would be my intention if I go for refinishing the factory wheels, especially since my CX5 is Machine Grey. For comparison, these are the replacement gun metal wheels I am considering...

V710-GM-03.png

VMR rims are horrible quality. they crack and break all the time. if you live in an area with bumpy or harsh roads, don't even think about it.

Wow, missed this thread. These both look great imo. Can't even tell it's the same wheels.

VMR rims are horrible quality. they crack and break all the time. if you live in an area with bumpy or harsh roads, don't even think about it.

I did more research and did see too many quality issues. I ended up ordering some TSW Sprints in gunmetal... they should be delivered this week. Will post pictures to keep the forum peeps content.

I did more research and did see too many quality issues. I ended up ordering some TSW Sprints in gunmetal... they should be delivered this week. Will post pictures to keep the forum peeps content.

Nice choice! Ill be sticking around to see pics of them on your car for sure.

Good choice to avoid the VMR rims. Saw a pic on the BMW forums a chunk of this guys rim physically came off on the lip part...

Alright, heres a little update. 70% done
Wheels are done.
Also the chrome delete was done.

Just need to do tints and wrap the side mirror in gloss black and it should be done by next week.

Sorry for the horrible pics.

Edit:
Really wish I could change that chrome emblem in front and get it blacked out.

2h37fht.jpg

qqa7td.jpg

5chu69.jpg

zogrj4.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, heres a little update. 70% done
Wheels are done.

Just need to do tints and wrap the side mirror in gloss black and it should be done by next week.

Edit:

2h37fht.jpg

qqa7td.jpg

5chu69.jpg

zogrj4.jpg

Looking good! You gonna tint those front windows?

Love. Love. Love.

Ya it looks really good. Lastly I think Id paint those matte black plastic trim bits body coloured, but it does kind of go with the rims and the tints and contrast the red paint pretty nicely. Looks really good!

Ya it looks really good. Lastly I think I’d paint those matte black plastic trim bits body coloured, but it does kind of go with the rims and the tints and contrast the red paint pretty nicely. Looks really good!

thanks guys, yeah at first i thought about getting the plastic trim colored but i think that'll be too much for my taste and yes i will be getting the front windows tinted to match the back.

thanks guys, yeah at first i thought about getting the plastic trim colored but i think that'll be too much for my taste and yes i will be getting the front windows tinted to match the back.

Someone did it to their CX-5 on here and it looked really good... Id to it. It will make the car look significantly more premium and upscale. I feel like the economy car roots become a little evident with the plastic cladding - doesnt belong on a car thats starting to look truly premium and upscale. If you look at an early model BMW X5, like 2007 and then compare it to the newer ones with the sport package it totally changes the look of the car.

Honestly that chrome delete really makes the Gen 2 CX-5 look so much better. I'm still not a fan of the grill or hood overhang, but seriously, looks way better now. Nice job.

Honestly that chrome delete really makes the Gen 2 CX-5 look so much better. I'm still not a fan of the grill or hood overhang, but seriously, looks way better now. Nice job.

I agree, it looks dope.

Personally, I like the overhang because it helps proportion the car better and help mask its FWD roots. Have you seen the Mercedes CLA? You can tell it was their first attempt at a FWD based car. Hideous.

Alright, here’s a little update. 70% done
Wheels are done.

Edit:

2h37fht.jpg

qqa7td.jpg

5chu69.jpg

zogrj4.jpg

Looks good.

Is it me or do the rims now look a bit smaller in the wheel arch (uhm)

I agree, it looks dope.

Personally, I like the overhang because it helps proportion the car better and help mask its FWD roots. Have you seen the Mercedes CLA? You can tell it was their first attempt at a FWD based car. Hideous.

Huh? (scratch)

What does a hood overhang have to do with FWD/AWD? Mine doesn't have an overhang. Looks better, in my opinion only of course.

I agree, it looks dope.

It's kinda has the opposite. A trademark of a RWD car isn't the length of the hood by itself, but the distance from the front wheel to the front doors, that's why the hoods appear longer. The CX-5 having a longer hood, combined with the short distance between the wheel well and the door are a dead giveaway and actually accentuates in a way the FWD platform. It's got a sizeable hunk hanging out past the front wheels.

cache.php

Compare this to a true RWD SUV like the GLC for instance:

2016-mercedes-benz-glc-class-rwd-4-door-glc300-side-exterior-view_100574433_l.jpg

Back