Can the 2017 CX-5 take Wider Tires ????

mossbergmatt

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Machine Grey CABO Edition
I have the OEM wheel and tires on the 2017 Grand Touring.

Can this car take Wider Tires than the 225s that are already on it.

Anyone know the specs?

I was looking to go to 275s front and back or maybe just have 275s in the back and put 235s in the front.

Need someone who knows their stuff.

Cheers.

I have the OEM wheel and tires on the 2017 Grand Touring.

Can this car take Wider Tires than the 225s that are already on it.

Anyone know the specs?

I was looking to go to 275s front and back or maybe just have 275s in the back and put 235s in the front.

Need someone who knows their stuff.

Cheers.
IDK what "CABO Edition" is, but assuming you have the standard OEM wheels at 19"x7" , trying to put a 275mm wide tire on a 7" (178mm) wheel is not going to happen lol. If you want a 275 tire you are looking at a 9.5" wheel (which will work depending on offset). 235 is about the max limit for the OEM 7" wide pizzacutter wheel. If it's awd then you would need matching diameters if you have a staggered tire set up.

Last edited:
You can go with a 245/50/19 sized tire. Usually their rim-width range is 7-8.5 inches. It's not going to be ideal, but it should still fit and is within the manufacturer's tested rim-width range. Ideally, you want the tire's tread width to match the wheels width. In my case, I got 245/50/19 Continental DWS06 tires which have a 8.1 inch tread width. So they will be an inch wider than the GT wheels on my CX-5. Again not ideal, but it should still be acceptable. I'll know for sure when I get them installed soon.

As stated by Chris, 275 wide tires will be too wide for the stock GT wheels.

Lastly, I would suggest not going for a staggered setup where the rear tires are wider than the front on a CX-5. This is because CX-5s are front wheel drive and even if it is AWD, it is a front wheel drive based AWD system.

275 I going to be way too wide for the CX-5. Even if you swap wheels to a 9-9.5" wheel the contact patch of the tire is going to much larger and result in decreased performance across the board. Its going to take more horsepower to get those tires moving and keep them moving because of the added friction from the wider tires. You'll also see a drop in mpg by quite a bit. A 245-255 would be a much better option. Some 245 tires say that 7" wide rims are acceptable to use but the narrower the rim the narrower the contact patch is going to be. General rule of thumb is for every 1/2" of rim width the contact patch changes by 2/10". The CX-5 isn't a turbo Mecan and shouldn't have tires fitted to it like it is. Now if Mazda ever puts the 2.5T in the CX-5 then wider tires would make sense.

No, not on a 7" tire.

A 245 tire at most would fit, but will you get the footprint of a 245 tire? No. You need a wider Rim.

Anything is possible but remember your speedometer will be out of whack as it is calibrated to your current wheel and tyre configuration.

Something you should be aware of with the number of speed cameras (fixed and mobile) out there

Any ideas on wtf a "CABO" edition is? Could not find any information on it.

Also, here is a 245/60 on a 15x7" wheel.. kinda bulging and end result is less grip. Brings to mind images of civics with low offset wheels (sticking out) and fat tires haha.

245.jpg

Last edited:
Back