2017 Signature lemon?

Interesting this post comes the day after car and driver reported that their Mazda CX-9 long term car ran out of fuel when the gauge first went to zero and second when it was at 6 miles till empty. You appear to be seeing the same thing.

Me, I would add gas much sooner and call it a day.

I've confirmed at least a 21 gallon (US) total capacity on my 2018 Sig. They list it as having 19.5. I've pumped 21 one time thus far. I don't intend to do that again as I don't want to overflow and cause an EVAP canister problem with the charcoal down the road. The digital needle was one half-width topside of the letter "E". So, it looked something like this only slightly more empty than this similar pic:

pKxuNuqL4ugU8DobJdFdYmo0Q7SQdX.png

From a little lower than this relative "empty" needle position, I was then able to pump 21 gallons US at something like $69 and some change. If he's running out of fuel anywhere above that level, he's probably got a problem that needs to be addressed.

First time seems odd, but why are you waiting so long to gas up? I agree the gauge shouldn't be that inaccurate, (you have about 2.5 gallons left in a CX5 when it reads about 0 miles left) but you're unnecessarily pushing things too far.

Its a $45k vehicle. Surely you can afford to buy gas before it basically runs dry?!?!?

The first thing I do is run my new vehicles dry with a can of fuel in the back while circling a station. I need to know what my needle will actually look like when it is truly out of fuel. That could come in handy down the road for any number of good reasons that I cannot think of right now. It removes all doubt about the truth of capacity.

I've confirmed at least a 21 gallon (US) total capacity on my 2018 Sig. They list it as having 19.5. I've pumped 21 one time thus far. I don't intend to do that again as I don't want to overflow and cause an EVAP canister problem with the charcoal down the road. The digital needle was one half-width topside of the letter "E". So, it looked something like this only slightly more empty than this similar pic:

pKxuNuqL4ugU8DobJdFdYmo0Q7SQdX.png

From a little lower than this relative "empty" needle position, I was then able to pump 21 gallons US at something like $69 and some change. If he's running out of fuel anywhere above that level, he's probably got a problem that needs to be addressed.

That does not sound right. I don't think any company would fudge the actual size of their gas tank like that.

never ever wait so much to add gas. 1/4 and add gas please. fuel pump suffer and gas indicator is not so accurate. why risk a 45k suv? My cx9 is from june 2016 and never had such issues. As soon as I see I have 40-60 miles left, I fill the tank.

You think it's a lemon because you're too lazy to fill the tank?
Somehow running out of gas 3 times is the car's fault, and you're contacting Mazda Corp to file a complaint?
And you want them to take you seriously?
This isn't a case of 3 service repairs or 15 days without your car because there's a problem.
It's 3 unnecessary service repairs and 15 days without your car that was 100% avoidable by you.
As for some advice: put gas in the tank before it's empty. Give that a try. It's worked for me for 50 years, and I've never run out of gas...ever.
Unbelievable.

I agree with this totally...never ever let the needle go down to "E" for what? Just to try and see how much you can actually drive to figure out the reserve capacity or compare the distance to empty vs the actual fuel left? For curiosity? I know some people do this and I don't get it and will probably never no matter the explanation. Doing that is also not good for the fuel lines and engine even if cars have fuel filters. I used to drive a hybrid car previously and while it was tempting to find out how far that could really go on a tank out of curiosity I still couldn't do it as part of being a responsible driver. If you are going to do it and couldn't resist the urge then at least have a spare fuel in a jerry can on board. Stalling because of running out of fuel has also never happened to me in the past 25yrs...

You think it's a lemon because you're too lazy to fill the tank?
Somehow running out of gas 3 times is the car's fault, and you're contacting Mazda Corp to file a complaint?
And you want them to take you seriously?
This isn't a case of 3 service repairs or 15 days without your car because there's a problem.
It's 3 unnecessary service repairs and 15 days without your car that was 100% avoidable by you.
As for some advice: put gas in the tank before it's empty. Give that a try. It's worked for me for 50 years, and I've never run out of gas...ever.
Unbelievable.

this ^^

I agree with this totally...never ever let the needle go down to "E" for what? Just to try and see how much you can actually drive to figure out the reserve capacity or compare the distance to empty vs the actual fuel left? For curiosity? I know some people do this and I don't get it and will probably never no matter the explanation. Doing that is also not good for the fuel lines and engine even if cars have fuel filters. I used to drive a hybrid car previously and while it was tempting to find out how far that could really go on a tank out of curiosity I still couldn't do it as part of being a responsible driver. If you are going to do it and couldn't resist the urge then at least have a spare fuel in a jerry can on board. Stalling because of running out of fuel has also never happened to me in the past 25yrs...

and this ^^

and absolutely this ^^

jerry - "i think there's a mental hospital near here"

elaine- "very near"

I mean I don’t want to sound like a jerk. Yes Mazda should update their software to be more conservative. But you also need to be more responsible man. This isn’t a lemon case.......

Personally I hate stopping for gas. I wait until Im extremely low on gas (usually less than 10 miles to empty, but frequently I drop to 0 miles to empty). When filling up I squeeze as much in as I can short of having it spill out. I know its not the best for my car, so save yourself the lecture. I just prefer to not stop as frequently as possible.

I mean I don’t want to sound like a jerk. Yes Mazda should update their software to be more conservative. But you also need to be more responsible man. This isn’t a lemon case.......

nor am i.... but he's hounding mazda over his own laziness! he even stated himself he procrastinates. but instead of changing his behavior he harasses their corporate offices and thinks he's going to get a brand new vehicle.

good grief.

Of course filling up earlier could have prevented this situation.

But I think the car did not perform as expected. The car showed that it still had some range, when it actually did not. It is generally assumed that cars have a bit of buffer/reserve compared to what is usually displayed on the range or fuel gauge indicator.

However, this is the risk that one takes when driving with the empty light on. Play silly games, get silly prizes.

A real question though. What is the indicated range when the gas light comes on? I know in the CX5, it's 30 miles. Is it the same for the CX9?

Personally I hate stopping for gas. I wait until Im extremely low on gas (usually less than 10 miles to empty, but frequently I drop to 0 miles to empty). When filling up I squeeze as much in as I can short of having it spill out. I know its not the best for my car, so save yourself the lecture. I just prefer to not stop as frequently as possible.

You prefer range anxiety over stopping for 2 minutes?

Also, topping off isn't good for the car. You may end up with a check engine light.

And running very low is not good for the fuel pump.

They aren’t calling the car a lemon though and are basically chalking it up to error on the part of their procrastinating editor...... which is what it is. I do think Mazda ought to update the software to be a bit more conservative on it’s estimate but this is still essentially driver error.

nor am i.... but he's hounding mazda over his own laziness! he even stated himself he procrastinates. but instead of changing his behavior he harasses their corporate offices and thinks he's going to get a brand new vehicle.

good grief.

Maybe the only solution would be to drive a full electric vehicle but again this depends on the commute. If just within the city then EVs would suffice as you don't have to stop during the day just to recharge. When you get home just plug it in and leave it overnight up until the next morning the EV's fully charged. But still if you procastinate from doing this then you could still get stalled in the middle of the road. Regardless of the kind of vehicle you still need the occasional refueling/recharging...

Back