What have you done to your CX-9 today?

got cross bars and trunk side pocket nets coming in the mail this week; also ordered a set of mud guards front/rear as well

I also plan on limo tinting all my rear windows/back windshield

Last edited:
got cross bars and trunk side pocket nets coming in the mail this week; also ordered a set of mud guards front/rear as well

I also plan on limo tinting all my rear windows/back windshield

With all the nice weather lately, the thicker windshield has started to really heat the interior of the cabin up. I'm seriously considering a clear UV tint application for the windshield. Anyone tried this yet?

Bingoy, which side pocket nets did you order? I wanted a couple as well and found ones that use velcro to stick to the carpeted panels, but I haven't placed an order yet.

Last edited:
@sm1ke, all my accessories that I ordered are OEM direct from Mazda. The side pocket nets in question require drilling along the trunk liner for a secure fit, as per the instructions

@sm1ke, all my accessories that I ordered are OEM direct from Mazda. The side pocket nets in question require drilling along the trunk liner for a secure fit, as per the instructions

Hm, I guess they aren't available from Mazda.ca, I just looked and couldn't find them. Oh well.

This past weekend, I drove my '18 CX-9 Sig over to Red Deer (1.25 hr drive) to meet my sales guy. He drove over from Leduc. We swapped cars (he had a '17 CX-9 GS-L in Jet Black as a loaner) so they could take care of a few things and get one of the free oil changes done at the dealership. Drove it for a couple of days, then met up with the sales guy in Red Deer again to swap back.

I gotta say, when I had the GS-L, I really missed the ADD, the radar cruise control, and surprisingly, the Bose system. The standard audio system isn't terrible, but there is quite a difference. The ride quality was a little bit smoother due to the 18" wheels, which was nice, but I found that the car didn't handle turns as well (might have been the tires, they were Yokohama Geolanders). Seats felt pretty similar to Signature seats, minus the thigh support adjustment. The piano black trim was an eyesore (not a surprise as piano black scratches very easily and this was a loaner car). Overall, really happy with my decision to go with the Signature trim and the MGM paint. Also, mileage on my CX-9 for the trip averaged 9.3L/100km, or just over 25 mpg.

I also bought an aftermarket set of aluminum pedals on eBay yesterday.

+

The Geolandar tires were not a favorite but came on our 2016 Touring. I had them on a 2002 Tribute too and didn't find them impressive in any particular category so your impressions sound in line with what I'd expect. Our Soul Red was a purchase almost a year ago (now around 10k miles on it) and has the 18" wheels and as a Touring , has a few of the Grand Touring perks added too. We are very happy with it's ratio of sporty handling, luxury ride and quiet motion. Just wanted to chime in and toot the horn for favorable mpg out here in the land of mountains, hills and thin air - Colorado. Never been a real hack at worrying or even paying attention to mpg since the deck is stacked against us but the first real trip we took a few months ago showed our travels to Durango Ouray and Telluride to be a low of 28 and bested at 32. I drove my norm and wasn't babying the thing at all, not even sure I had the primo petrol either. This was around 750 miles of driving over three days in early April.
I'll run the Geo's without complaint and when they are dusted I'll be on the hunt for a good rated A/S.
** I believe I ran a Pirelli Scorpion Verde on my CX-7 for a while through the seasons here and they were a nice balance of low noise , decent traction and good ride comfort just to name a few traits.

Last edited:
Exhaust tips came in about a week ago. I wanted to wait until my car was clean to take photos, but the weather isn't getting better anytime soon, so dirty car it is, lol. I got these from eBay. Install was incredibly easy, even for exhaust tips. They just slide over the OEM tips. There is a hole at the bottom if you want to screw them into the OEM tip, but they didn't come with any hardware and I'm not sure what size screw you would use.

attachment.php

View attachment 218393

Here are some comparisons of the OEM tips vs. the new ones..
attachment.php

View attachment 218390
attachment.php

View attachment 218389

.. and here are pics of the tips installed.

attachment.php

View attachment 218391
attachment.php

View attachment 218392

I wasn't sure what to expect with these as they look very bulky in the photos, but I don't mind the look of them at all. They fill up some of the space between the tip and the bumper's exhaust cutout. If I could find a pair that fill out that space a little more and are also slant-cut to match the curve of the bumper, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. For now, these will do just fine.

Long time lurker (relatively), first time poster here.

I wanted to ask you how you like the exhaust tips you installed? Would you go with the same ones or look at a slanted tip? TIA.

Also, thanks for the How To posts, really helpful stuff.

Long time lurker (relatively), first time poster here.

I wanted to ask you how you like the exhaust tips you installed? Would you go with the same ones or look at a slanted tip? TIA.

Also, thanks for the How To posts, really helpful stuff.

Hey Hookem! Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them.

I like the tips, most because their size really fills out the exhaust cutout. They should have come like this from the factory. That said, I do like the slanted tips a little more. There are a couple of users who went that route.

With these particular tips, they get dirty fairly easily, but if I hit them with a metal polish every few months, they look great.

Hey Hookem! Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them.

I like the tips, most because their size really fills out the exhaust cutout. They should have come like this from the factory. That said, I do like the slanted tips a little more. There are a couple of users who went that route.

With these particular tips, they get dirty fairly easily, but if I hit them with a metal polish every few months, they look great.

You bet! I have already upgraded my reverse, license plate, and turn signals because of your posts. I will be putting in a LED in my cargo light this weekend. So those How-Tos have definitely been helpful!

Thanks for the update on the exhaust tips! I really like both and think either one would be so much better than stock. Thanks again!

Finally got around to installing the OEM roof rack. For the record the stickers indicate a 290lb rating per pair. Next up is the roof box. I know, not the most exciting of add-ons but they are necessary.
04a83e76c32193105438257c33ff2aa0.heic

ddb04a1e9860064f7eec296c3aa5038e.heic

4c1bfbedb19aaf6a4d01bc005594afc1.heic

Also got a smoking deal at REI on the box. Was trying to decide between the Thule and the Yakima. They were pretty comparable but the Yakima was $20 cheaper AND had an additional 15% off on top of that. Ended up saving about $100, score!

42e785ccf021a55460e68afde3fc3b06.heic

86938c0f022d7a66a9ac78be637bc136.heic

I had a huge dent removed from the roof yesterday. Not exciting but it feels good to have the roof back to normal.

I'll be installing exhaust tips, foot pedals, and side window wind deflectors this weekend.

I had a huge dent removed from the roof yesterday. Not exciting but it feels good to have the roof back to normal.

I'll be installing exhaust tips, foot pedals, and side window wind deflectors this weekend.

I swear the roof just dents itself from being looked at. I have two strange indentations on the roof too that I swear wasn't there before but there could have been no way that something fell on it since the car just sits in my garage most of the time and there is nothing around it to fall on it.

I swear the roof just dents itself from being looked at. I have two strange indentations on the roof too that I swear wasn't there before but there could have been no way that something fell on it since the car just sits in my garage most of the time and there is nothing around it to fall on it.

I think you're right! I was pretty embarrassed when the guy at the dent removal placed asked me what happened and I had to tell him I had no idea. Then, when I went to pick up the vehicle, he tells me he popped out a few more dents on the roof and I was just like WTH.

I had a roof basket on the rails for a couple of weeks and never once noticed any dents when I was loading/unloading. Even when I took the basket off, still no dents. The basket was only 25 pounds and I didn't even come to close to the max recommended weight so I don't think that's what did it.

On the bright side, I found a guy who does great work removing dents and is very reasonably priced. I hope I never have to use him again though. Ha!

The wife and kids went to a party today, so I had more time to tweak some things. I have a trailer hitch and wiring installed, but left the trailer wire in the trunk. When I tow, I had to open the hatch and pull out the connector, lay it flat and the close the hatch over it. I decided I didn’t like that scenario. So I ran the wiring through a grommet, under the car and attached it to the hitch. The wiring was too short though, so I had to add about 2.5’ to make it work. Worked out well in the end.
8e03fdf782aa025ee1b835a6aa2e039b.heic

Original location for the wire.

51fcd736af06d29f551537168da90a89.heic

Used this existing grommet to run the wiring under the car.

a53e7fdece6b5265c9e502df1359eb87.heic

Hung the connector there.

84fe5ab3bd82a1f1d206d9577ac9c760.heic

Loom extended and run through grommet.

0798e61e5859d859c0fff3c9d0922bd7.heic

a3e5742656da7ef44d0103f6a4f16efe.heic

After that I installed a trailer hitch light for when I’m not towing anything. Tested everything and it works like a charm.

Also installed some LED’s, one for the hatch light and also the backup lights. I used CANBUS ready LED’s and checked everything, no codes.

I like it!

Hi all! This seems to be a pretty common thread topic on some of the other boards I visit. I did a search and couldn't find anything posted for the CX-9, so I figured I'd create one. Mods, if there is already a similar thread, please feel free to close this one!

Did you just carve out a few corners on the mountain roads or take the CX-9 for a road trip? Install a new cosmetic piece? DIY'd a cabin filter install? Swapped your winter wheels out for your summer set (or vice versa)? Show off your handiwork here with a pic or video! All discussion is welcome, but keep it civil please! Refrain from making comments against a person's character or taste. Hopefully this grows to become a great source of information and inspiration.

I'll start. I just got my CX-9 a week and a half ago and I'm excited to make it "mine" with a few minor cosmetic touches. A CF steering wheel garnish came in the mail a couple of days ago, and today I finally found a bit of time to apply it.

attachment.php

View attachment 218247

attachment.php

View attachment 218248

attachment.php

View attachment 218250

Nice! UI was considering the mdx but exploring the cx9. It needs wheels and body kit....

Also got a smoking deal at REI on the box. Was trying to decide between the Thule and the Yakima. They were pretty comparable but the Yakima was $20 cheaper AND had an additional 15% off on top of that. Ended up saving about $100, score!

42e785ccf021a55460e68afde3fc3b06.heic

86938c0f022d7a66a9ac78be637bc136.heic

My man!! Did you get the Skybox 16 or 18? After a couple of trips, just make sure to double check/retighten the roof rails. Mine started to squeak after a couple of trips with the box and I was getting so worried the box was going to fall off.

If you have any questions regarding the box, feel free to shoot me a PM. Of course there isn't much to it, but if you do. :)

..and oh, the inlaws can fit in there if need be.... ;)

My man!! Did you get the Skybox 16 or 18? After a couple of trips, just make sure to double check/retighten the roof rails. Mine started to squeak after a couple of trips with the box and I was getting so worried the box was going to fall off.

If you have any questions regarding the box, feel free to shoot me a PM. Of course there isn't much to it, but if you do. :)

..and oh, the inlaws can fit in there if need be.... ;)

Thanks, I ended up getting the skybox 16, it's plenty big enough for my needs.
Yep, I was worried about the bolts loosening up over time. I had the box installed for a while and just took it off to wash the car. I'll re-torque the bolts before re-installing the box.
(naughty) would be interesting to see if the in-laws could fit in there!

Back