What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Just picked up my cx9 today. I put in the 3D maxspyder mats for the 3 rows. Still need to get the cargo one at some point. Set up my 2 booster seats in the third row and a car seat on the passenger side second row. Put in the “drop stop” things between the seats and center console (prevents things like phones from falling in between the seat and center console). I have the led bulbs for the reverse lights and license plate lights. I noticed that the trunk light was halogen so I’ll need to buy one of those and install it too. Tweaked the infotainment settings to my liking. (I read reviews that people complained that the HUD would cut off if you sat too high but you can adjust the positioning of the HUD in the settings to rectify this...)

A few things that bother me are the location of the 12v port (I really thought the one in the front was an additional one for the passenger) as I wish it was located under the hvac controls, the lack of a 12v port in the arm rest storage compartment, and that the middle seats return to an awkward position after you pull them forward. Hope these things got fixed in newer models.

One thing I found really neat was the lighting behind the handles on the front doors. No review I saw mentioned that.

Edit a day later: installed both led reverse lights in about a minute. Incredibly easy, thanks for the tutorial @sm1ke. The license plate lights are coming in today. I did it pretty easily on my cx5 and it’s the same as the cx9 so that should be simple as well.

Last edited:
This is a great forum for me all these years. Couldn’t be any happier. Here is what I have done so far.
- Replace engine oil drain plug with Futomo valve for eaisier diy oil change
- Hardwired Viofo A129 Pro Duo Dash Cam
- Hardwired front footwell ambient light
- Add carbon fiber to center console and side doors
- Ordered Carplay2air adapter to try wireless Apple carplay.

How did Carplay2air ended up working, did it work well ? I was looking into it but on some car models reviews said they were having connection issue at vehicle start.

How did Carplay2air ended up working, did it work well ? I was looking into it but on some car models reviews said they were having connection issue at vehicle start.
It works great once connected. Indeed, sometime it has a connection issue and require to either reboot Mazda connect or reinsert the USB adapter cable. I would not recommend until they can fully fix with firmware update.

Set up a dash cam and installed the led license plate lights. Ordered the cargo led light and now there will be no halogens anywhere.

More interior LED's. So much better.....

LED_Lighting_100.JPG

LED_Lighting_102.JPG

LED_Lighting_103.JPG

LED_Lighting_094.JPG

LED_Lighting_098.JPG

The only bad part is that the dome lights flicker a little bit when the doors are closed. Hard to get on video. Hopefully I will get use to it.

.....and now there will be no halogens anywhere.
Nice. The only "halogens" I have left are the hi beams (waiting until I disable the DRL's) and the rear signals (have to install load resistors but don't want to hack the wiring). Soon though. :)

I installed this license plate frame last July, then the spacer last November. It always bothered me that there was no attachment between the plate and framer at the bottom, so I decided to get rid of that worry with some two-sided tape.....

License_Plate_001.JPG

License_Plate_005.JPG

License_Plate_014.JPG

License_Plate_016.JPG

License_Plate_019.JPG

And the damage from years of the plate resting on the paint (will address this later).....

License_Plate_011.JPG

I put in the cargo light today. It was more difficult to install than it was on the cx5. Not sure if it’s because of the bulb I ordered, but the OEM ones have a really small tip which clicks into place on designated holes. The LED ones I got had a much bigger radius on the ends so it was difficult to get it to secure in the spot. I think I broke one LED trying because after I got it in, it wasn’t lighting up. I popped the second one in and it was fine but I had more practice the second time around so I was more careful with it. Lol either way. Finally. I hate halogens. I only left the halogens in the vanity mirrors because my wife likes the yellowish light and I can’t find LEDs below 6000k.

I only left the halogens in the vanity mirrors because my wife likes the yellowish light and I can’t find LEDs below 6000k.
Assuming you need 28mm for them? If so, both of these come in 3000K "warm white".

If you need a different size, they have them all.

Updated my firmware today from v.5x to v.7x. Was pretty straightforward and took about 40 minutes. Not sure why the dealer never did this but does anyone know the major differences between those versions? Is it just AA/ACP? I do plan on getting the hardware for it soon.

Installed the Fortin Evo One with Maz3 harness. I also de-pined all the extra wires on the Maz3 harness so I wouldn't have a big rolled up clump of unused wires under the dash. Was really straight forward.

installed the wellness branded visors (similar to bronco boys) for my cx9. Wasn’t please w the very first hook on the front ones but I am very please w them. They are very elegant and look oem. Not bad and compared to what Mazda was asking for the oem ones (265 + tax) the wellness brand are a steal 😎
Will post pics when I learn to navigate better on the forum 😆

installed the wellness branded visors (similar to bronco boys) for my cx9. Wasn’t please w the very first hook on the front ones but I am very please w them.
Agreed. Kind of a loose fit. I have noticed a very slight gap on the drivers side where water was sneaking through. I will take a closer look at both sides and my have to apply a little clear silicone to keep things dry.

So my vehicle needed a fan door motor replaced. They gave me a loaner (2019 touring with PP). What a big difference between that and even my 2016 GT. There’s a significant lack of padding in critical areas. The arm rest is hard touch plastic and so is the leg rest for the drivers right knee. My knee was hurting from pressing against the hard plastic whereas on the GT it’s a really soft and padded leather. The lack of a HUD wasn’t a huge deal and Apple Car Play is freaking amazing. First time I’ve used it so I’m definitely going to get this done.

it been raining here in the northwest on and off for a month. Finally, I gave a a wash on this beautiful Saturday. Top off with the ceramic spray from turtle wax.. Slick and shiny
1DA5D386-B12A-4142-9D39-03A3A5214229.jpeg
4D6BB245-CD9B-4188-807A-E1B9D0619CB7.jpeg
4D6BB245-CD9B-4188-807A-E1B9D0619CB7.jpeg
22D1BC5D-A00A-4CBC-B238-1BC918623593.jpeg
885E2096-7A9B-46A8-B921-F5C3E9F02B2E.jpeg
E383E35D-DC0D-425F-9BF4-1D7082E6AA81.jpeg

Attachments

• 1902D499-2D76-4A2A-A8FA-734DB53A96FC.jpeg
    1902D499-2D76-4A2A-A8FA-734DB53A96FC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 202
Agreed. Kind of a loose fit. I have noticed a very slight gap on the drivers side where water was sneaking through. I will take a closer look at both sides and my have to apply a little clear silicone to keep things dry.

yup. Contacted the manufacturer and they said their is suppose to be a slight gap is 1/4 in front and
1/2 on rear.

Well that is silly. Gaps let water in. Kind of defeats the purpose. LOL
Agreed. Idk how to attach the photo they sent me w the edits but I’ll figure it out lol. These are them on mine though. Still better than oem pricing at 260.
also purchased the oem hood deflector but I don’t know how to install that. ( will ask my neighbor to help.)

Attachments

• C4192558-F11C-4AC5-8DD9-B6AEAACBF4EF.jpeg
    C4192558-F11C-4AC5-8DD9-B6AEAACBF4EF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 234
Back