What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Took it to the local dealer.

While driving in the interstate yesterday my TPMS light came on. I drove to the next parking area and found a smoking rear right wheel. Could feel the heat from about a foot away, metal pinging as it was cooling down.

Played with the EPB a little, let it cool down and drove home no problem.

Today the dealer says it needs new discs, pads and calipers to the tune of $815. With 41k on the car, it is not covered by any warranty.

I am not amused.

Took it to the local dealer.

While driving in the interstate yesterday my TPMS light came on. I drove to the next parking area and found a smoking rear right wheel. Could feel the heat from about a foot away, metal pinging as it was cooling down.

Played with the EPB a little, let it cool down and drove home no problem.

Today the dealer says it needs new discs, pads and calipers to the tune of $815. With 41k on the car, it is not covered by any warranty.

I am not amused.
Sounds like they just want to charge you for new brakes and not solving the reason it happened and i would have it inspected by another mechanic to see if the brakes really are toast.

Sounds like they just want to charge you for new brakes and not solving the reason it happened and i would have it inspected by another mechanic to see if the brakes really are toast.

I did have a sound wo-wo-wo sound consistent with the rotation of the wheel speed when applying the brakes after the incident, so I am guessing the rotor is warped.

Also the CX-5 has a TSB out for the same issue, so I wonder if parts have also been upgraded for the CX-9.

This dealer has not tried to sell me stuff yet I did not need or tried to convince me I needed oil changes every 3k, unlike the dealer I bought the car from, but you are right, I should do a little more research.

Had a clear bra put on the front, the car opti-pro ceramic coated and the front window's tinted to match the rear windows.

At the detailers, I mentioned that Mazda's are known to have thin paint and he said it was not abnormal. He said Tesla's have the worst paint and Mercedes the best.

Can't tell if he was BSing me or not.

On a side note, anybody apply any interior protection to the hard plastic. I am noticing that get dirty and scratches easily. Not talking about the piano black stuff but the plastic on the back near the third row and on the doors.

I did have a sound wo-wo-wo sound consistent with the rotation of the wheel speed when applying the brakes after the incident, so I am guessing the rotor is warped.

Also the CX-5 has a TSB out for the same issue, so I wonder if parts have also been upgraded for the CX-9.

This dealer has not tried to sell me stuff yet I did not need or tried to convince me I needed oil changes every 3k, unlike the dealer I bought the car from, but you are right, I should do a little more research.

Sorry to hear man, hope the independent mechanic has some better news. I'd be interested in finding out what the heat and the pinging noise was all about.

Also,

https://www.wpprobrakes.com/
attachment.php

wppro-mazda-cx9-rear-brakes-4.jpg

https://ceikaperformance.fr/products/ceika-custom-big-brake-kit-for-mazda-cx-9-tc-16-up
CEIKA_Custom_Big_Brake_Kits_57e9a568-de79-4f3c-b4f6-6319a6cbe9c5_1024x1024.jpg

(naughty)(naughty)(naughty)

On a side note, anybody apply any interior protection to the hard plastic. I am noticing that get dirty and scratches easily. Not talking about the piano black stuff but the plastic on the back near the third row and on the doors.

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's mainly for UV protection but I've found that it does help to "hide" the minor scuffs on the door panels and such.

Sorry to hear man, hope the independent mechanic has some better news. I'd be interested in finding out what the heat and the pinging noise was all about.

It sounds like the rear brake locked up in the closed position, and he drove for a while with the brake locked up. This would've built up the heat and probably caused the disc to warp. The pinging was likely the disc contracting while it was cooling off after he stopped.

It sounds like the rear brake locked up in the closed position, and he drove for a while with the brake locked up. This would've built up the heat and probably caused the disc to warp. The pinging was likely the disc contracting while it was cooling off after he stopped.

That is my guess...

Good news however, Mazda decided to pick up the tab.

Only had my 2018 CX-9 GT for a month and half but first order of business was a MaxLiner cargo liner.

Picked it over the Weathertech due to price and flexibility. (Its flexible enough to allow the third row to come up and not crack or break)

Fits well and does the job at a great price ($80 on amazon).

Installed driving lights behind the grill of my 2018 GT. Involved completely removing the front bumper, making a bracket and completing the wiring. End result is completley steath and they make quite a difference to night driving.

I'll post a how to guide shortly.

Attachments

• lights off.jpg
    lights off.jpg
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Lights on.jpg
    Lights on.jpg
    854.5 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Only had my 2018 CX-9 GT for a month and half but first order of business was a MaxLiner cargo liner.

Picked it over the Weathertech due to price and flexibility. (It*s flexible enough to allow the third row to come up and not crack or break)

Fits well and does the job at a great price ($80 on amazon).

$80 is a great price. Did you get the liner and install it yet? Is it as you expected? I was considering MaxLiner due to price but don't know anyone who's got one to speak for fitment and quality.

Installed driving lights behind the grill of my 2018 GT. Involved completely removing the front bumper, making a bracket and completing the wiring. End result is completley steath and they make quite a difference to night driving.

That's a clean looking job there. Well done. (drinks)

Looks good.

$80 is a great price. Did you get the liner and install it yet? Is it as you expected? I was considering MaxLiner due to price but don't know anyone who's got one to speak for fitment and quality.

Its installed and fits great! Has a nice grip to the surface as well to stop things from sliding too bad.

For the price, i think its excellent!

Nice work! Install is very clean. Looking forward to your bumper removal how-to, as I'd like to upgrade the my car's horns at some point in the future.

Did you do a Dealer installation? If you don't mind how much was it installed ?

Im assuming you mean the CarPlay update as the ProClip was do it yourself. :)

I just bought the CX 9 a month and a half ago and negotiated the Apple CarPlay update in the deal. So, I either got a good deal or screwed depending how they worked the numbers on me. ;)

Back