A question on steering wheel

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
I recently got a loaner - a 2017 Toyota RAV4. Last week I drove my friend's CRV 2016 for about 3 days. I realized my 2016 CX5 steering is much stiffer than either of these 2 CUVs. It takes slightly more effort to turn the steering in CX5 than with either RAV4 or CRV. Is this by design? I don't want to look like a fool and say in the dealership steering feels stiffer. I also regularly drive about 10 days every month Porche Macan S but that's in a different league altogether as with that car I need to be very careful since the steering is super responsive.
Don't get me wrong - I love my CX5 but after these 3 cars I am a bit disheartened with the steering of CX5.
1 option I do have is to find another CX5 and drive that but that's my last option.
Any thoughts - appreciated.

The word to describe this is heavier. It is by design and I would argue the Toyota and Honda are actually too light.

That is by design. Especially when compared to the RAV4. Toyota creates appliances. Honda creates mass market vehicles with some pretence to sportiness (depending on the model) and Mazda tends to design a more driver's focused vehicle. If you drove a new CR-V, you'd probably notice it was a little stiffer than the 2016, but still not as stiff as the CX-5.

That is by design. Especially when compared to the RAV4. Toyota creates appliances. Honda creates mass market vehicles with some pretence to sportiness (depending on the model) and Mazda tends to design a more driver's focused vehicle. If you drove a new CR-V, you'd probably notice it was a little stiffer than the 2016, but still not as stiff as the CX-5.

Excellent - I thought so too. Yes - little stiffer than RAV4 but lighter than CX5. Macan has almost identical stiffness as CX5 but its too darn sensitive. My friend who knows cars a lot told me its not because of the car but the tires. He has some high end ultra performance summer on his Macan (which I drive regularly) whereas he told me you have "bad" all seasons .. GRRRRR...... Don't know if he's right/wrong. (B4 anyone says anything - yes, this discussion happened in summer)

What's your perception of Nissan Rogue? I hear off and on good stuff.

Tires can have some impact but mainly it’s how they’ve calibrated the power steering. It also will get heavier at higher speeds vs at low speed when large inputs are needed.

Tires can have some impact but mainly it’s how they’ve calibrated the power steering. It also will get heavier at higher speeds vs at low speed when large inputs are needed.

Thank you!! Never knew that. This website is awesome.

Drive an older car with no power steering.. then you will know heavy when trying to navigate a parking lot.

I agree. First car I drove with power steering was a 1991 Mazda 626. It was a revelation. The steering was so heavy on my 1989 Rover 216 whilst doing a 3 point turn my shoulders used to crack and creak when hauling the wheel round. (The tyres were on their correct pressures.) I never want those days back again.

The 2017 steering is lighter than earlier. Coming from my Acura TL, it felt too light to me, but I think that may be by design and I may get used to it. I think it is super assisted at very low speed, which is probably a good thing, it just gave the impression that it might be too light at speed. I don't remember what it felt like driving faster.

Its electric power steering which makes it easy to act as an angle sensor for the stability control system. Its been weighted to improve feel.

+1 for the weight Mazda put on it. Feels just right to me.

I think it feels good and solid. To me the light effortless feel Toyota has makes the car feel cheap...... and numb.

The 2017 steering is lighter than earlier. Coming from my Acura TL, it felt too light to me, but I think that may be by design and I may get used to it. I think it is super assisted at very low speed, which is probably a good thing, it just gave the impression that it might be too light at speed. I don't remember what it felt like driving faster.

Some reviewers here have said it's a bit heavier at parking speeds. The 2 test drives I did, it seemed fine to me

I think it feels good and solid. To me the light effortless feel Toyota has makes the car feel cheap...... and numb.

Agreed. Back in 2013, I test drove the RAV4, CR-V, Rogue, and the CX-5 had by far the best feeling steering wheel if you are at all interested in the feel of driving. Those cars felt numb. CX-5, I felt the road and in more ways than just the steering wheel.

If you want some steering feel, try a large 1950's era farm tractor like the Farmall M I grew up operating. No power steering, with implements bolted on to the front to add weight. The steering wheel was large because you needed the leverage. Usually had to do 180 degree turns at the end of the row. Fortunately you could control the rear wheel brakes individually so you could brake the inside wheel to "lead" the front end around. After a full day of this it was not necessary to go to the gym to build up your body.

If you want some steering feel, try a large 1950's era farm tractor like the Farmall M I grew up operating. No power steering, with implements bolted on to the front to add weight. The steering wheel was large because you needed the leverage. Usually had to do 180 degree turns at the end of the row. Fortunately you could control the rear wheel brakes individually so you could brake the inside wheel to "lead" the front end around. After a full day of this it was not necessary to go to the gym to build up your body.

That's why people weren't so fat back then!

My job now? Sit on my happy fat ass all day in front of a computer.

I saw some old pictures of my grandpa back in the day and my god he was buff for not going to the gym. Total man of steel.

Back