Am I crazy?

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

Im planning on going 7,500 miles on my brand new CX-5. Currently, I have 5K miles and my maintenance monitor is reading 2,100 until an oil change.

I will be switching over to synthetic, but will this oil be good for 7,500K. I know the manual states that, but thought I would ask. I do 95% highway driving, and the vehicle is garage kept. How soon did you do yours? Maybe should just get it in?

Looks like Mazda thinks so. Any other reply would be a speculation without data.
The sure-fire way to know is oil analysis, but it is not practical. So stick to your owner's manual.
You can change oil during the trip, if you wish, can you not?
And don't bother switching to synthetic, you already have that in the sump from the factory.
I would change the factory fill right away and go on the trip. Make sure they use correct oil...

Last edited:
Change the oil before your trip.
5K miles on the break in oil is enough.
I would get it out of there, and start the trip with fresh (synthetic) oil.
I'm doing something similar with my new Mazda 6.
I'm in the great white north, and leave next week for a two month hiatus in Florida.
I have less than 1K on it now, so I plan to change the factory fill oil when I get down there.
(And please, no flaming or long discussions on breaking in engines. We've been there).
Enjoy your trip.

I took delivery of my CX-5 on 4/12/17. I used Flexible Oil Change Setting....and do about 50/50 city/highway driving. I currently have 5300 miles on the vehicle and the maintenance reminder is showing 2700 miles or so till the next oil change. Needless to say the factory oil is still inside. This is contrary to everything I believed and practiced my entire life....but im going with it. When the wrench appears...I plan to use M1 0W-20 AFE with the factory filter. I guess the only answer is do what makes you comfortable. I'm taking the position that Mazda is a well engineered car by really smart people that probably have this covered....at least I hope so!

I dont get why you would want to change it sooner? The manual states 7,500. I figure Ill just go that distance and then do an oil change an tire rotation.

What is the longest most of you have gone between changes?

Thanks!

I don’t get why you would want to change it sooner? The manual states 7,500. I figure I’ll just go that distance and then do an oil change an tire rotation.

What is the longest most of you have gone between changes?

Thanks!

You ask for advice here, advice was given. You disregard said advice. Why ask?

7500 is fine.

Blackstone analysis reports posted here suggest you could go much further.

Depends on what schedule you are using, schedule 1 or 2. Schedule 1 calls for 7500mi between changes, and schedule 2 calls for 5,000 mi changes. It all depends on your climate and driving habits. Lots of short trips and extreme temps will degrade oil faster. As far as I know no one makes a standard dino oil in 0w20, there may be a few blends but you should stick to full synthetic. Mazda's moly oil is quite good. Since its your first oil change I would change it at 5,000 miles now and use Mazda Moly 0w20. Then set your oil change interval to flexible and the car will tell you when an oil change is needed.

I drive slow till the engine heats up. I drive long enough 18 miles one way + 1 short trip of 2 miles to school - so nothing really bad. DFW is good weather not great but good. I use Mazda Moly - I have done changes at 6K - 12K and planning on 19K. I will stick to 7K which is decent enough. Oil Changes are 20% more expensive than Toyota which is odd + Dealer is really far. Once I hit 60K miles it will get new tires and free rotation + it will get a nearby independent and will save 20 bucks a change.
I will say if you are not doing 10-12K miles that will be fine. No issues. Savageese did an oil change instantly after buying his MZD3. His next one was 14K miles which was sent for analysis - they said next time send after 20K miles :) So 7.5 is cool.

Hello!

I’m planning on going 7,500 miles on my brand new CX-5. Currently, I have 5K miles and my maintenance monitor is reading 2,100 until an oil change.

I will be switching over to synthetic, but will this oil be good for 7,500K. I know the manual states that, but thought I would ask. I do 95% highway driving, and the vehicle is garage kept. How soon did you do yours? Maybe should just get it in?

If you are that concerned, go in early and get it changed.

Problem solved :)

Back