2018 CX-9 Signature Trim INTERIOR vs. 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Interior

Dinky89484

:
Mazda, CX9/Signature
I'm strictly comparing the interiors of the latest (2018) CX-9 Signature Trim and the (2018) CX-5 Grand Touring. I've had my eye out on the 2018 CX9 Signature Trim model because I'm loving the interior and the bells and whistles it comes with. Seeing how the 2018 CX-5 also has a lot of the same bells and whistles, and beefed up it's interior, I'm wondering if any of you guys have any thoughts of which interior looks better or if they're pretty much a wash?

Well you get nappa leather and genuine rosewood interior trim on the CX-9, regular leather and no wood trim in the CX-5

It also looks like the center control console with shift knob (which includes the screen control turn knob) sits higher in the CX-9 which gives it more of a cockpit feel while driving. This, of course, is just judgement off pictures. It looks like the CX-5 center control and shift knob sits lower.

It also looks like the center control console with shift knob (which includes the screen control turn knob) sits higher in the CX-9 which gives it more of a cockpit feel while driving. This, of course, is just judgement off pictures. It looks like the CX-5 center control and shift knob sits lower.
The CX-9 is higher than the CX-5

I'm strictly comparing the interiors of the latest (2018) CX-9 Signature Trim and the (2018) CX-5 Grand Touring. I've had my eye out on the 2018 CX9 Signature Trim model because I'm loving the interior and the bells and whistles it comes with. Seeing how the 2018 CX-5 also has a lot of the same bells and whistles, and beefed up it's interior, I'm wondering if any of you guys have any thoughts of which interior looks better or if they're pretty much a wash?

Honestly, had you not said anything, I would have never compared them. So, I compared all three - CX3, CX5 and CX9. Frankly, they all look good to my eye.

I especially like the two-tone leather (front seat and seat back cover) you get with the 3 and 5, that you don't see in the 9. I like the fact that they are all angular and without tremendous visual clutter. Texture and materials selection is very nice on all three as well.

My only complaint is the choice of using Black Piano Plastics on the interior. Black Piano Plastic should be forced to suffer an International Ban. It should be a violation of International Law and Treaty, to use Black Piano Plastic anywhere in interior design. It is anathema to common sense, better judgement and good taste. You can't clean Black Piano Plastic. It looks great, but if you so much as stare at it long enough it will scratch and fade.

Mazda should replace all Black Piano Plastic with a choice of Faux Carbon Fiber colors. That will keep the cost down (which is what they are trying to do with the Black Piano Plastic) and it will turn an otherwise horrible trim idea into an amazingly brilliant carbon fiber accent that actually plays very well into the overall newness of the Kodo Design Language. In fact, I would also change the Exterior Black Plastic Trim pieces and replace those with neutral Faux Carbon Fiber as well. For the CX-9 however, I would hold out the option for having Real Carbon Fiber External Trim - at a reasonable price. I would also have an option for Carbon Fiber front Bonnet and Carbon Fiber Side-View Mirror Caps. And, an option for a Carbon Fiber Roof.

There are plenty of good looking, well designed and well executed Exterior and Interior Faux Carbon Fiber Wraps out there to inspire Mazda designers. The can look really OEM if executed correctly:

L7CGwNZtq0fZSVNZG8yQElPS8gEkWJ.png

L3LWPmDd5avb6y3qvbX7ZMdkRhXuSp.png

tNe1WXsQv5OoQgJXvZQgzEjj40R1So.png

VzxB81DtHKXLTMMKjQzk3NrvEwRpoq.png

u90qWMlMFkYcmiHUHvKnjQysa3W2eE.png

itgKSiUCDHpwlMug6i2dIkpUGy5hd2.png

jRl7C2UGekQYYWnKDHy4bcdiNDAPKo.png

7rFz1TEiKwmzPQmRZH8ehHmHVJiCTp.png

v30iGPVHLqF0J1cS4zekg3cmsIGdF4.png

Zt0rJAJhca2PYTvtyDNO2uczyizjwZ.png

Almost any kind of color hue is available in Carbon Fiber these days:

RRa2yKcgaP9AqdPfSAU8d8YKSww1Av.png

In general, it is high time for all Black Plastics to go the way of the Dinosaur. If they decide to use Carbon Fiber Trim on the exterior, then they will need to replace the High Gloss Plastic Chrome with a more mellow Brushed Aluminum Metal Trim inset. The Brushed Aluminum against the Carbon Fiber on the Exterior and Interior would absolutely devastate the competition.

Even so, I think these interior just the way they are (3, 5 and 9) look outstanding for my money. :) Great job Mazda! Keep up the good work. ;)

Last edited:

Here is a side by side comparison for you (note the CX-5 is 2017 model as no 2018 image available but is essentially the same):

vxj3bb.jpg

Here is a side by side comparison for you (note the CX-5 is 2017 model as no 2018 image available but is essentially the same):

vxj3bb.jpg

In that pic, the biggest things that stick out to me are that the 9's shifter and volume control are closer to the dash, and that the 9's armrest sits a little more forward than the 5's.

I also agree wholeheartedly with CJ4's thoughts on the piano black interior and exterior trim, which is why I've ordered some CF vinyl to attempt to DIY the exterior trim, and possibly the interior trim as well.

In that pic, the biggest things that stick out to me are that the 9's shifter and volume control are closer to the dash, and that the 9's armrest sits a little more forward than the 5's.

I also agree wholeheartedly with CJ4's thoughts on the piano black interior and exterior trim, which is why I've ordered some CF vinyl to attempt to DIY the exterior trim, and possibly the interior trim as well.
True but both cars have volume controls on the steering wheel so not that much of an issue. Gear stick maybe an issue depending on ones arm length

Last edited:
True but both cars have volume controls on the steering wheel so not that much of an issue. Gear stick maybe an issue depending on ones arm length

Oh I wasn't suggesting that it was an issue, as it will be different for everyone. Just pointing out that it's different :)

The storage space under the climate control does look "less accessible" on the CX-9 though.

Oh I wasn't suggesting that it was an issue, as it will be different for everyone. Just pointing out that it's different :)

Fair enough :D

The storage space under the climate control does look "less accessible" on the CX-9 though.

CX-5 area has increased in size I believe

Aside from the obvious visual differences, the CX-5's center console elbow rest is a significant difference from any model of the CX-9. A shorter driver (5'3" or shorter) needs to move the driver's seat closer to the steering wheel, and in doing so the center console armrest becomes unusable as it will be directly beside the driver seat. My wife has no problem using the center arm rest in our CX-9, but in the CX-5 she can't use the arm rest. I'm taller and I have the seat all the way back and can use the center arm rest but not as much is exposed in the CX-5 as the CX-9.

Aside from the obvious visual differences, the CX-5's center console elbow rest is a significant difference from any model of the CX-9. A shorter driver (5'3" or shorter) needs to move the driver's seat closer to the steering wheel, and in doing so the center console armrest becomes unusable as it will be directly beside the driver seat. My wife has no problem using the center arm rest in our CX-9, but in the CX-5 she can't use the arm rest. I'm taller and I have the seat all the way back and can use the center arm rest but not as much is exposed in the CX-5 as the CX-9.

Think this has to do with the cabin area being smaller in the CX-5 generally compared to the CX-9 as well as design.

Correct, same as Mazda 6 which didn't get it either

My 2017 Mazda 6 with Premium package comes with the black headliner. Maybe it's only available in Canada?
It also has a CD player and the centre vents have dials so that you can close them up.
I don't understand why they would do it differently in the CX-5. It's 99% the same interior. Oh well. I'm happy.

My 2017 Mazda 6 with Premium package comes with the black headliner. Maybe it's only available in Canada?
It also has a CD player and the centre vents have dials so that you can close them up.
I don't understand why they would do it differently in the CX-5. It's 99% the same interior. Oh well. I'm happy.

Could be Canada centric

Mine had a CD player and dials on vents to close and open along with directional movement

Back