No Android Auto until 2019+

snapbox

:
2016 CX-9
My dealer received an email this morning regarding Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. Apparently there's some sort of licensing issue that's prohibiting them from adding any additional functionality to the CMU. The new estimated date for CarPlay/Android Auto is 2019+.

They also told me not to expect any updates to the CMU (at all) until 2019. I'm unsure if she meant major updates or minor bug fixes.

The dealer wouldn't share the email with me (for obvious reasons) but this marks another major setback for the program, which Mazda promised was coming soon in 2017.

Heard this from my dealer too.... This is the single point of failure in this car and the reason why I wouldn't buy again.

That pretty much settles what the car I'm buying this year will be. Not Mazda.

Cracks me up that such a large segment of car buyers now base their car purchase decisions on infotainment. You're also eliminating the largest car company, Toyota/Lexus among others.

I libe on my phone as much as the next person but when I buy a car I buy a CAR first. Mazda Connect does a great job for me.

Cracks me up that such a large segment of car buyers now base their car purchase decisions on infotainment. You're also eliminating the largest car company, Toyota/Lexus among others.

I live on my phone as much as the next person but when I buy a car I buy a CAR first. Mazda Connect does a great job for me.

Totally agree.
Count me in as one of those that doesn't give a crap whether it has AA or not.
I bought my 2017 Mazda 6 because it's a great car.

I libe on my phone as much as the next person but when I buy a car I buy a CAR first. Mazda Connect does a great job for me.

I finally got to actually use Android Auto in a rental last weekend. It's pretty nice.

If you make car purchases like appliance purchases, I can see why it would be a deal breaker not to have it. Personally, if a car had a UI for the infotainment that didn't suck, I wouldn't care about AA/Carplay. However, when the manufacturers try to gouge you for a map updates, the UI sucks, etc, I want AA/Carplay.

As far as Toyota/Lexus goes (and Ford I think), I think it boils down to money really. They don't want to pay the licensing fees - if it starts costing them sales they will cave.

Thanks for the heads up snapbox.

I sympathize with this. I get that Android Auto/CarPlay are great, but if you're doing anything that you can't do with your bluetooth-enabled cellphone in a $10 mount while driving, you shouldn't be doing it.

<snip> I get that Android Auto/CarPlay are great, but if you're doing anything that you can't do with your bluetooth-enabled cellphone in a $10 mount while driving, you shouldn't be doing it.

Actually, my understanding is that with ACP/AA you would be able to use the command dial to "scroll" through and click on the apps as opposed to having to use the touch screen. Additionally there's the obvious - the infotainment screen is far larger than a phone screen. To me, this basically makes the lack of ACP/AA a safety issue, not (necessarily) a tech enhancement.

That said - I personally wouldn't base an auto choice on whether it supports ACP/AA. While it's certainly nice if it does, it's not a be all/end all necessity for me. If everything else that's important to me were equal (handling, usability, price) and one had ACP/AA and one didn't, then I'd choose the one with ACP/AA. But rarely, if ever, are two things equal.

Actually, my understanding is that with ACP/AA you would be able to use the command dial to "scroll" through and click on the apps as opposed to having to use the touch screen. Additionally there's the obvious - the infotainment screen is far larger than a phone screen. To me, this basically makes the lack of ACP/AA a safety issue, not (necessarily) a tech enhancement.

That said - I personally wouldn't base an auto choice on whether it supports ACP/AA. While it's certainly nice if it does, it's not a be all/end all necessity for me. If everything else that's important to me were equal (handling, usability, price) and one had ACP/AA and one didn't, then I'd choose the one with ACP/AA. But rarely, if ever, are two things equal.

What I meant was that, in my opinion, the only functions that should be operated while driving are navigation, hands-free audio and a music player. These are all things that, if connected by bluetooth, you would be able to operate using the steering wheel controls (minus the navigation, but there shouldn't be any need to fiddle with it after you've set your destination). I would consider anything else a distraction, which makes AA/ACP a safety issue in my eyes. I've never had issues reading the screen on my phone while using it for navigation, but AA/ACP would make that easier, sure. It's just not necessary for me, but the addition of it is welcomed. I'd probably only use it for navigation, maybe use other apps when I'm stuck waiting for a long train. I'm sure there are plenty who would get a lot out of it.

Basically, Mazda should probably hop on board with AA/ACP to bring in the buyers who "need" AA/ACP. It would be another step in the right direction. But if they didn't take that step, I'd be totally fine with it. Worse comes to worst, someone will figure out how to hack the Mazda Connect system to get AA/ACP on it.

What I meant was that, in my opinion, the only functions that should be operated while driving are navigation, hands-free audio and a music player. These are all things that, if connected by bluetooth, you would be able to operate using the steering wheel controls (minus the navigation, but there shouldn't be any need to fiddle with it after you've set your destination).
I listen to a lot of podcasts, and use the Pocket Casts app to do so. I cannot access or control (other than play, FF, and RW) the Pocket Casts app via bluetooth or even via a direct USB connection. The app is, however, available through ACP.

Thanks for the heads up snapbox.

I sympathize with this. I get that Android Auto/CarPlay are great, but if you're doing anything that you can't do with your bluetooth-enabled cellphone in a $10 mount while driving, you shouldn't be doing it.

Like, using Waze? Music app that isn't buggy and slow as hell? Voice control that doesn't suck? Right, it's all much better on the 5" phone screen.

Like, using Waze? Music app that isn't buggy and slow as hell? Voice control that doesn't suck? Right, it's all much better on the 5" phone screen.

Where did I say that the phone was better? Obviously the functionality is better if you can get your phone interface on the larger display. My personal opinion is that the only functions that should be operated while driving are navigation, hands-free audio and a music player. These are all things that, if connected by bluetooth, you would be able to operate using the steering wheel controls (minus the navigation, but there shouldn't be any need to fiddle with it after you've set your destination).

If other people want it for podcasts or Waze, that's up to them. Either way, the CX-9 would benefit from having it. All I'm saying is that I personally wouldn't benefit much from it, so I could care less if they never implement it.

What music app are you using that's "buggy and slow as hell"? I'm using Poweramp and it works flawlessly.

maybe when the CX-5 gets the turbo then I'll consider another mazda, lack of AA/ACP is not a big deal for me

Any one got the AA/Carplay in your CX 9?

Recently, Mazda had announced AA/Carplay in 2019 CX9. Does anyone know, when it is coming to 2016+ CX9s

Well... I guess I'll just focus on retrofitting paddle shifters in the CX-9 than keep waiting for AA/ACP retrofit.

For me, the ease of using navigation (especially when on the fly) is the real value of AA compared to Mazda's system. ... someday.....

I dropped my CX-9 off at the Mazda dealer for service this morning and asked the service guys if Mazda has told them if AA/Car Play will be available for the earlier years and when. One guy said he heard September of '18 and the other guy chimed in with they don't really know but it could be 2019.

While late, at least 2019 Mazda's are getting the platforms. A lot of companies are still just offering one or the other, particularly CarPlay. Even though most users are Android (like 90% market share).

Hopefully 2016+ owners get the update in a timely manner but obviously it won't be before the 2019 CX-9 comes out.

For me, the main advantage is navigation input. Car systems notoriously suck at efficient destination inputs. It takes way too many steps. In the age of just saying your destination in Google Maps and it gets it right every time in 2 seconds. When I'm in a hurry, I'll use my phone for navigation leaving my big nav screen out of use. Sad.

Just letting you guys know that CP/AA is available for CX-9 from Next Month September 2018.

There is a minimum of 3 OEM Parts you must purchase.
1. A New AUX Hub unit
2. new USB Data Cables (pair of)
Plus you must obtain new Firmware 70.00.xxxx

First you must run the New 70s Firmware with original parts still there.
Then you pull dash apart,
Remove/Discard OLD AUX Hub and Install New TK78-66-9U0A Aux Hub
Remove old Single USB Data Cable and replace with the two new colour coded USB Data Cables which run up to the CMU Hardware under your Touchscreen.
All this you must do..

And no you can not use the old parts they must be removed and discarded.
MUST install new Firmware BEFORE you install new Hardware or it will not work.

MAZDA has schedules 2 hours to do Firmware install and Hardware install.

CP/AA Mirroring is done by Micro USB Cable from Phone to USB port on Aux Hub, Bluetooth will not work for mirroring, apparently.

CP/AA will be factory installed on new 2019 CX-9 and Mazda 6 from GT model and Up, low spec models will not get CP/AA, but can be purchased as accessory.

Basically the same parts for all Mazda's with Mazda Connect or MZD Connect....Firmware is Country Specific though.

Last edited:
Back