VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas

Thread: Different Headlights?

Registered Member

Mazda, Protege5

Different Headlights?

So I recently purchased a dual beam headlight assembly, just one, because I've come to find out that I have a socket for high beam that is not being used by the current headlight assembly. Which is a single beam headlight, and everytime I tried to turn on highbeams it never worked, then I found out I have separate socket for the high beam. Went to put on the new dual beam assembly and the 9003 low beam doesn't fit the assembly hole, only h7 does. Bought one and turns out the socket is bigger than the small prongs the h7 light bulb comes with. So I'm so confused on what do to or maybe I bought an assembly that is a diff variant for our type of cars.

So I'm here to ask what should I do, and whether I bought that wrong headlight. Any help will be appreciated (:
    I'll try to provide pics.

2002 323 protege

P5's should have the dual beam headlight, it would seem that someone has fitted sedan lights to your's, not factory.

2002 mazda protege 5

There's supposed to be an adapter that connects to the bulb as well.

The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

protege5

Quote Originally Posted by JDM323J48 View Post
    P5's should have the dual beam headlight, it would seem that someone has fitted sedan lights to your's, not factory.
    mine has separate high beam and low beam bulbs. Don't think it was ever changed out but if the sedan one fits maybe i should. Maybe then i'd stop burning out the damn low beam bulbs every 6 months lol

2002 mazda protege 5

All P5's came with two bulb headlight housings and the sedan single bulb housing fits right on to the P5.

Quote Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed View Post
    Don't think it was ever changed out but if the sedan one fits maybe i should. Maybe then i'd stop burning out the damn low beam bulbs every 6 months lol
    It might work ??? The single bulb design might last longer ??
    You'd have to wire in a new three terminal connector (high beam+, low beam+ and a common ground.)

Replacing your connector for your existing low beams may help with bulbs burning out... They tend to get all burnt and crispy and may lead to premature bulb burnout ??

The three terminal connector is listed under "Protégé"... The two terminal connectors are under "Protégé 5"

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    All P5's came with two bulb headlight housings and the sedan single bulb housing fits right on to the P5.

It might work ??? The single bulb design might last longer ??
    You'd have to wire in a new three terminal connector (high beam+, low beam+ and a common ground.)

Replacing your connector for your existing low beams may help with bulbs burning out... They tend to get all burnt and crispy and may lead to premature bulb burnout ??

The three terminal connector is listed under "Protégé"... The two terminal connectors are under "Protégé 5"
    I'm wondering. I've never had a car go through as many headlight bulbs as this one. I actually just ordered a 10 pack of ebay bulbs for $10.99 because i'm tired of paying $10 each for the Sylvania ones at walmart lol. I've gone through 2 headlight bulbs on the driver's side in the last 2 or 3 months. I can also confirm the socket/connector is fine, no issue. Wiring the headlights would be no problem, that's the easy part. if they physically bolt in the same i may have to give it a try. I'm about due to replace them anyway because they're so sandblasted/weathered

Does anyone know if the sedan protege's eat headlight bulbs as frequently as the p5?

I've never had a car go through as many headlight bulbs as this thing does. I bought my Sequoia back in early 2010 and now that i think about it, I don't think i've ever replaced the bulbs in it...
    Last edited by pb4ugotobed; 01-15-2018 at 01:03 PM.

2002 mazda protege 5

There's been a bunch of threads about how our car loves to eat headlight bulbs.

Oddly enough, I've had my car 9 years and I've only replaced my bulbs twice,... And our low beams are always on with our daytime running lights.
    I dunno ??
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda, Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by JDM323J48 View Post
    You know that's what I also thought too, they were replaced with sedan Headlights.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    There's supposed to be an adapter that connects to the bulb as well.

And thank you man, I've never would've known they have an adapter for it!

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by xDanielSenpai View Post
    ... And thank you man, I've never would've known they have an adapter for it!
    That adaptor isn't shown or mentioned in either the owners manual or the service manual. And it looks like part of the bulb... I wonder how many people threw it out with the bulb then had to dig it out of the garbage when the new bulb wouldn't plug in ??

It's as if the whole headlight system for our car was an afterthought and they just used some spare parts they found in some warehouse.

Looking for John Connor Breeegz's Avatar
    Donated: $10

2003 Protege 5 -- 2016 Ford Expedition

I had the same problem with mine, until I put in HID's for the low beams. Since 2006, I've only had to replace one ballast, and today the HID kits are much better (and cheaper) than the one I bought in 2006 as part of a group buy. If you can swing it, I highly suggest it. It's one of my favorite mods.
    Now you see me, now you don't. I'm a Ninja.
    My Cardomain page My Alaska Picture Thread My Zombie Protege5 Project

Registered Member

02 Protege LX, 03 Proteg5, 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody

Sylvania's have a 1 yr warranty. You should be getting free ones for replacement.
    13 Fit | 09 Ody | 09 Miata | 07 Mazda 3 | 03 Protege5 | 02 Protege