Scratches

:
2017 CX-5
It has been very cold so far this winter in the north east. When the weather is warmer, when the weather is warmer I can usually wash my CX five on the driveway. Obviously in the winter you can do it that much so I take the card to a local car wash. One day after the call was washed at a local car wash that I came home to dry out some of the rocker areas around the doors and so on and so forth. I noticed about four or five scratches in the rocker panel on the passenger side front door. Has anyone else experienced such scratches? Im wondering if there is something loose door that could be causing the scratches could be with the passenger takes off the seatbelt, the seatbelt buckle is hitting the rocker area. Let me know if anyone else has experienced such an issue thank you

I experienced the same thing on my 2013 early on. Never did figure out what caused it and my wife, who is the only one whe uses that door was clueless too. Never happened again. Go figure!(crazy)

You are talking about the door jams? Coats with metal zipper pulls or jewelry or a bunch of thing can scratch those up. If they are minor you can get them buffed out. I would recommend a good sealant or wax for the jams. Even though they are not visible when the doors are shut, it makes for easier cleaning later and adds a little bit of protection.

Yes, door jamb just below sill. This is the best picture I could get in a dark garage. I suppose the most likely cause was a coat zipper or something that got caught in the door upon closing. This is not something a "good sealant or wax" would have prevented as it went right through to the primer coat.

Attachments

• jamb scratches.JPG
    jamb scratches.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 504
Yes, door jamb just below sill. This is the best picture I could get in a dark garage. I suppose the most likely cause was a coat zipper or something that got caught in the door upon closing. This is not something a "good sealant or wax" would have prevented as it went right through to the primer coat.

Yea that is not a normal wear and tear scratch caused by entry/egress. The car wash couldn’t have caused that either. Mazda has that enclosing bottom trim on their doors.

Get some touch-up paint in a tube. That area is covered by the door when it is closed. Not a big deal.

attachment.php

I have the same scratches in exactly the same area on my CX-5 (except they're much worse and had to be touched up) and I can tell you exactly where they came from. My wife loves to wear her boots and she has a BUNCH of different styles. Some of these boots have buckles on the backside of them and these are the culprits. When she gets out of the car she has a tendency to sort of slide out of the seat upon exiting. Her boots slide against the sill and if there's buckles on the backside, SCRAAAAAATCH!

There's a couple on the driver's side sill as well, from the same thing.

I found that my shoe dragging did it on mine. I purchased a roll of red HD tape and covered that area of the sill. So now if if the tape gets marred, I just replance it. My vehicle is red so the red tape doesn't stand out too much. I'd lift my leg higher when getting out but, a bad hip (getting replace in two days), hurts when exiting my CX5. Ed

Get some touch-up paint in a tube. That area is covered by the door when it is closed. Not a big deal.

That’s the first thing I did after it happened. However, factory t/u paint is pretty sketchy on these high metallic Mica finishes. Flash from camera makes it look worse.

Back