Fuel Consumption Went Up 20% after Transmission seal repair

billzhangzy

:
CX-5 Touring
Hi all
Happy New Year!
Last Dec, I did a repair to fix the oil leak from transfer box (the dealer said that transmission was leaking to transfer box and overfilled the transfer box which caused the leak. They said so because they thought the oil in transfer box was same as in transmission).

After they replaced the inner seal rings between transmission and transfer box, I found the mpg went down from 26 to 22 while my driver behavior has no change.

Do you guys know if it was a right diagnosis and right decision to fix?
And any potential explanation for fuel consumption went up?

Thank you guys

Bill

Hi all
Happy New Year!
Last Dec, I did a repair to fix the oil leak from transfer box (the dealer said that transmission was leaking to transfer box and overfilled the transfer box which caused the leak. They said so because they thought the oil in transfer box was same as in transmission).

After they replaced the inner seal rings between transmission and transfer box, I found the mpg went down from 26 to 22 while my driver behavior has no change.

Do you guys know if it was a right diagnosis and right decision to fix?
And any potential explanation for fuel consumption went up?

Thank you guys

Bill
It’s not impossible for the oil to be contaminated in the way you describe but only today we’ve been discussing that some dealers might use the wrong oil. As for your fuel consumption, it didn’t change by that amount as a result of doing the seals. For a start, ignore the trip computer and keep in mind that the cold weather drops fuel consumption. Monitor it for a while longer and do tank to tank calculations.

It’s not impossible for the oil to be contaminated in the way you describe but only today we’ve been discussing that some dealers might use the wrong oil. As for your fuel consumption, it didn’t change by that amount as a result of doing the seals. For a start, ignore the trip computer and keep in mind that the cold weather drops fuel consumption. Monitor it for a while longer and do tank to tank calculations.

I agree. Unless the dealer messed something up catastrophically there’s no way.

That's pretty extreme, but I will note that my mpg seems about 1-2mpg higher since I switched to Pennzoil Platinum from Mobil 1 AFE.
Or maybe it was that 55 in a 35 that got me going a bit slower.
I dunno. I dunno.

I suspect that the battery was disconnected and the ECU reverted to the default settings. As you drive the parameters for shift modes will change to your driving style and patterns. The fuel consumption will return to the values you had before the battery was disconnected. Ed

Back