2018 CX5: Diesel or Gas?

In my area diesel runs about the same price as diesel most of the time also..))
But 87 gas is a dime or 2 cheaper big deal, not worried diesel will double no way can't happen, fine won't happen..hey we do about the same amount and type of commuting and i really want the cx5 d for that job. I'd steer clear of the Chevy and bmws 4cyl diesels suck imo, 335d was a sweetheart tho, Mercedes made a nice one i was a little cherry on top deal-wise away from buying a glk250 for the sweet motor alone- but glad i went with Mazda its been great and much more economical choice overall. I could spend 60k on a car if i wanted to but doing our kind of mileage, buying new as we do its a depreciation disaster!..2 modest 30ish k cars>1 luxury one for me all day long. So get a leftover 17 gasser if you can't wait but I'd wait! X1(fellow C&D 10 bester and also in my garage in E84 guise) may be worth a look..i run 89 in mine it runs fine and clears 30mpg on the open road (rwd tho), I've yet to sample the new one.

Rwd, especially on a BMW is the best thing you can find in snowbelt cities like Toronto. My Rwd 5 series Is the best car I've ever driven in the snow with winter tires. As long as you don't have too much power, good tires and preferably an limited slip differential and it drives just as well as xDrive unless the snow is very deep...

The misconception about Rwd vehicles is horrific. This is not 1970 for christ sake, modern Rwd cars have come a very long way since then.. Let me demonstrate.

https://youtu.be/jnrz9PzAI5c

But when you drive the car normally in snow it drives very well if you know how to correct it. BMW's Rwd balance and 50/50 weight distribution is extremely capable and forgiving yet puts your driving skills to the absolute limit, should you choose to go there...

In my area diesel runs about the same price as diesel most of the time also..))
But 87 gas is a dime or 2 cheaper big deal, not worried diesel will double no way can't happen, fine won't happen..hey we do about the same amount and type of commuting and i really want the cx5 d for that job. I'd steer clear of the Chevy and bmws 4cyl diesels suck imo, 335d was a sweetheart tho, Mercedes made a nice one i was a little cherry on top deal-wise away from buying a glk250 for the sweet motor alone- but glad i went with Mazda its been great and much more economical choice overall. I could spend 60k on a car if i wanted to but doing our kind of mileage, buying new as we do its a depreciation disaster!..2 modest 30ish k cars>1 luxury one for me all day long. So get a leftover 17 gasser if you can't wait but I'd wait! X1(fellow C&D 10 bester and also in my garage in E84 guise) may be worth a look..i run 89 in mine it runs fine and clears 30mpg on the open road (rwd tho), I've yet to sample the new one.

Hell I agree with every word u said, may be we feel the same kind of pain :)
About doubling the diesel price: on 1997 the regular gas price in Canada was as low as .495/l, 2014 reached $1.4, tripled , not only doubled
On London, they now tax $10 on every time a diesel vehicle goes downtown
Governments can do a lot f stupid things when they want to push for something

I'm still with you on the cx-5 d gt , with full option like the one that I currently have still $40k CAD
But I'l also have a look at 2 BMWs PHEVs as there's $8.5k government incentive on them, one of them will be less than $50k, still comparable to the $40k of the GT

BTW, I realized that u currently own a '14 cx-5 gt, is that the one u r talking about or u r planning to but the new cx5- d?

Last edited:
Owning many rwd cars in my day, some with mechanical lsds and some not (Mercedes, both bmws) I agree with you on the common misconception that rwd cars are a death trap in snow, far from it! Neither of my bimmers saw a flake but the merc really wasn't great, my old mr2 and early 80s Toyotas with real lsds, winter tires and a some added weight in back were snow tanks! But would they get me out of steep driveway with a couple inches on it..no they wouldn't, but nor could my fwd TL with a real lsd either so its really awd with winters or bust for me. Is rwd optimal for snowbelt areas? No, (but no worse than fwd imo) you'll get by with good tires and certainly have some fun but if you've got big snow and or hills to contend with- awd with winter tires is where you want to be.

BTW, I realized that u currently own a '14 cx-5 gt, is that the one u r talking about or u r planning to but the new cx5- d?
Assuming they can deliver the diesel within the next 10-12mo I plan on turning in my x1 lease, replacing it with cx5 d, while keeping the 14 in a beater type role until I can't wait for my brz(or similar)anymore:) I hear you on governments being stupid and diesel is a bad word thing, that and unknown future of it and how those factors could seriously harm resale I will consider lease to buy option for safety.

Last edited:
Still need clarification on some points:
- I don't like cylinder deactivation which is forced on us on all 208 gas models, I don't want to save on 1mpg and pay more on maintenance later on
Is it also forced on the diesel model?

Not yet anyway.

- For Canadian winter driving, is diesel an issue?

Shouldn't be. Modern diesels do pretty well with cold weather, and Mazda's should be better than most because of the lightweight Al block - it should warm faster.

- What's the future of diesel? Is it possible 3 years from now that government add taxes that make diesel twice the gas price? World have crazy politician who can implement what they want

I doubt we will see any knee-jerk anti-diesel movement by American or Canadian regulators similar to what happened last year in Europe. There are several reasons for my optimism: regulations on NOx and particulates were already tighter over here so there hasn't been any panic about pollution, diesel passenger vehicles make up a much smaller percentage of the vehicles on the road here so they don't attract much attention, and since our transportation infrastructure is heavily dependent on diesel (trains, trucks) nobody wants to raise taxes on diesel because it will create inflation.

- Would I have a problem selling/trading my cx5 diesel 4 years from now

This is the hard question. In the near term, there is a relative scarcity of new diesel vehicles, but there is still interest in them, so I think that will keep the resale value of the diesel higher than the gasoline model. But if new diesel models keep disappearing, diesel may just drop off of people's radar.

Back