[DEFUNCT] The College-Budget P5

Surprised you haven’t already changed out plugs and wires before your previous races!

Damn man race meets sound hella fun good luck with the rad. Hopefully the hoses come early man

It is a ton of fun! It's a complete antithesis to the local car scene--people are friendly, interested in your ride, and are supportive. I've learned a lot about vehicular dynamics and racing from these guys. Thanks for the well wishes!

Surprised you haven’t already changed out plugs and wires before your previous races!

Me too; should've been a no-brainer to check them. The boots and coils are all in good condition, with only the very top of them having dust and dirt. There's a lot I'll be checking and maintaining from here on out!

..., since my valve seals are less than good, and allows a little bit to be burnt upon start up. If I'm being a bit to lax about this, someone let me know!

If you're burning oil on startup it's most likely your oil rings on your pistons not the valve seals.

Get some Seafoam or other detergent in your oil before they completely seize or you'll be fogging out your neighborhood and needing an engine rebuild.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123864691-Higher-weight-oil

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...e-smoke-on-startup-post-downhill-acceleration

If you're burning oil on startup it's most likely your oil rings on your pistons not the valve seals.

Get some Seafoam or other detergent in your oil before they completely seize or you'll be fogging out your neighborhood and needing an engine rebuild.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123864691-Higher-weight-oil

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...e-smoke-on-startup-post-downhill-acceleration
You sure it's not the other way around? Burning oil upon startup is indicative of bad valve oil seals; burning oil while revving is bad piston oil rings.

I've only ever observed blue exhaust once, and that was on startup. I've never seen blue emission after starting the car, and that time I've seen the blue exhaust was months ago.

There are some more tests I could do to see what the true problem is, but I'm feeling confident that it's probably the valve seals. Either that, or I have a bad PCV valve?

Either way, gotta consult that maintenance page in my car manual

Normally yes but our FS engine is 'special'..

Read this thread, it explains it all.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123770462-Smoke-on-cold-start/page2
s*** man, poorly designed pistons?

Shoot, guess this certainly is a "special engine". Maybe if I ever save back my expenditures and get a solid-paying internship, I could upgrade those before my car turns into a Halloween prop. Maybe throw in some cams too, ooh...

Damnit, responsibility blows! Someday, I gotta learn how to do extensive engine work so that I can work on the hard stuff.

1.8 bp swap................just putting it out there
s*** man, poorly designed pistons?

Shoot, guess this certainly is a "special engine". Maybe if I ever save back my expenditures and get a solid-paying internship, I could upgrade those before my car turns into a Halloween prop. Maybe throw in some cams too, ooh...

Damnit, responsibility blows! Someday, I gotta learn how to do extensive engine work so that I can work on the hard stuff.

Shoot, guess this certainly is a "special engine".... I could upgrade those before my car turns into a Halloween prop....

No... All you have to do is clean the sludge out of your engine and then keep it clean.

Change your oil every 3000 miles and use a detergent.

Seafoam... Ten bucks..

Damn these fs engines I knew they shoulda put a 13b in the pro5s XD lol. That post is a nice little treasure trove , lots of good Info. Thanks for posting it man

There have been a lot of people who have replaced their valve seals or had their head rebuilt just to find they're still burnin oil...

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like your car is burning enough oil to do this test but, here is the test to see if it's your valve seals or your piston rings..

Our specific engine has a problem with oil ring seizing.

There is an easy test to see of you have bad valve seals or seized oil rings.

Let your car sit overnight, then in the morning, remove your plugs and look down the plug hole to see if the pistons are wet with oil or not.

If they are wet then your valve seals are leaking.
If they are dry, put your plugs back in, start your car and run it for about 20 seconds then shut it off, remove the plugs again and check for oil on the pistons.

If they pistons are now wet with oil, then your oil rings are seized.

Once your rings are seized and the oil drain holes are plugged your only option is a rebuild or an engine replacement.

Last edited:
No... All you have to do is clean the sludge out of your engine and then keep it clean.

Change your oil every 3000 miles and use a detergent.

Seafoam... Ten bucks..

The guy who figured out the problem made it sound like the pistons were the ultimate fault; I probably arrived at a hasty conclusion

I do indeed change my oil every 3k miles, despite the scoffs of my family! Haven't used Seafoam before, but I've seen the vids. Makes me a little nervous.

Either way, that thread was a godsend, so thanks for the info!

Last edited:
The First Arrival

Not a legit update: just a bit of musing.

Came up to my house after a long day, and man I love the refreshed look of the fascia. Really gives off a new and clean look. Too bad my camera is s****:

fu4FTPq.jpg

Perhaps it smiles knowing it'll be able to cool off again in a couple of days :^)

And upon entering the house, my folks moved my package inside. The first component to arrive was my fan shroud. I popped it open and took a peak...and oh man that looks sleek. I'll probably upload a picture of it when everything arrives.

Tomorrow, I take the rest of the pittance given to me to grab some pigtails from the junkyard.

... Haven't used Seafoam before, but I've seen the vids. Makes me a little nervous.

You probably saw the smoke shows when the Seafoam is put into the vacuum line. I'm talking about putting half a can in the oil.

Seafoam can go in the gas, in the oil or in the vacuum line.

I've been using it for around 8 years now. After cleaning the sludge out the first few times (run it for around 100 miles before an oil change), I put it in with the new oil and leave it in till the next oil change.

My oil barely even darkens now and the Seafoam is always in the oil dissolving lacquer before it carbonizes.

I don't burn a drop of oil but I'm 'only' at 175,000 miles but I'm sure my rings will never seize... At least not before my ass falls through my rusty floorboards.

I also throw a shot in the gas every time I fill up. It keep my injectors clean and slowly burns up the carbon on top of of the pistons.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with Seafoam and I don't think you should need to worry about racing your car while using Seafoam.

I'd be nervous about using diesel or ATF in my engine but that is for extreme cases.

pcb, did your p5 consume oil before you started using seafoam in the crank case?

pcb, did your p5 consume oil before you started using seafoam in the crank case?

No,.. It never burned oil, so it was only ever preventative maintenance for me.

But,.. The first few Seafoam treatments had the oil coming out black and even almost thick.

I cleaned out a lot of sludge.

Back