[DEFUNCT] The College-Budget P5

Sadness. I hope I don*t run into said leak on header to midpipe. I wouldn*t know what to do either.
The rear engine mount could be a culprit if it's worn out or if it failed. It'll cause the engine to sag backwards, which scews with the header->midpipe connection angle. This crushes the top of the gasket while creating an opening at the bottom, and thus an exhaust leak.

Either way, it's more money I gotta spend! Can't take it to the shop for the rear mount, since if they feel as though I've tampered with the emission control system (which I have), they must keep my car until I pay them to "fix" it or they will refuse to work on it. I have a feeling my mechanic might say something, as he's an honest guy. That O2 non-fouler is an obvious red flag.

Guess if this mount is the culprit, I'm in for an expensive and exhaustive fix.

Guess if this mount is the culprit, I'm in for an expensive and exhaustive fix.

No Dude !!
That's not true !!

You can fix your car up good enough for cheap !!

Fix up or replace the three easy mounts and ignore the rear one till you can afford it.

Stop aiming for perfect!! (there really is no such thing) and go for good enough till you can afford it.

Spend time not money (although window weld is like $20 a tube.)

Last edited:
No Dude !!
That's not true !!

You can fix your car up good enough for cheap !!

Fix up or replace the three easy mounts and ignore the rear one till you can afford it.

Stop aiming for perfect!! (there really is no such thing) and go for good enough till you can afford it.

Spend time not money (although window weld is like $20 a tube.)
I've just been so bummed lately...perhaps I shouldn't be so pessimistic

Theoretically, if the front and side mounts were replaced with stiffer mounts, could they compensate for the bad rear mount (at, perhaps, the cost of accelerated wear)?

I think my front + side mounts are fine, since I haven't noticed any crabbing around the corners. But, I still got to investigate.

Remember, your mounts may be fine. If your engine was sagging, you would have noticed when you assembled the exhaust. Chances are the bolt holes wouldn't have lined up.
How does that connection look ?? Is it pinched on an angle ??
If not, I think you should try the RTV gasket spray and be done with it.

The mounts can be a secondary issue that you can get to later.
If you get three new mounts, you can take your time and fill them with either window weld or that liquid urethane.
The mounts will be brand new so the urethane will bond very well.

Theoretically, if the front and side mounts were replaced with stiffer mounts, could they compensate for the bad rear mount (at, perhaps, the cost of accelerated wear)?

Yes I would think so. They should take some pressure off the rear one and limit it's movement.

I did this on my msp, did inserts and new mounts for the easy three for about 60-70k miles. made my mechanic friend doing the engine swap install the rear motor mount while the engine is out lol. my old rear mount didn't even look bad like i expected it too. no sag or tears.

Just an FYI...
The passenger side mount is different for the MT and AT.
The pin is a different length and some mounts don't come with the pin and you are expected to reuse the old one

If what you might want to buy doesn't say whether or not it's for AT or MT, then it's probably best to avoid it.

bad Fix, bad Conditions

I decided to try a flange-gasket between the resonator and muffler to get rid of the leak.

It rained on me really hard! Thanks, nature!

8Q07T8j.jpg

I didn't really fit all that well, but it stopped bubbles from forming around it. Yet, air is still escaping, as I felt it around my hand. ****** hell man.

As for the header to midpipe leak, I'm out of luck. No progress yet, but I did notice that my exhaust system is sagging heavily. I really do need new exhaust hangers...the ones I ordered from Corksport are coming at the end of this month. I was told that they were going to arrive late when I ordered them.

In other words, nothing was done today. Getting really tired of all this, man.

Looks like my brake rotors or pads are contaminated again, since I have a rhythmic squeaking when not on the brakes. My exhaust hangers are toast, the black lever-looking thing the clutch slave cylinder pushes the rod into still rampantly squeaks, my car sounds like hell, I'm very low on money, and I'm scrambling for info.

i feel you being tired of the issues. that was like my oil leaks on my msp build. was ongoing for months. eventually you'll have no issues to deal with lol.

I feel you on the huge mountain of small but big problems. Driving to I work I'm always wondering if it's my trans or engine that'll blow first.

Dangit fellas, it really does suck. I guess I just have to remind myself that not all troughs are infinite. Here's hoping some scholarships I applied for allow me to save cash to repair this thing.

Bleed your clutch,... It may fix your issue.

The bleeder is on the clutch slave cylinder, right? What exactly causes that damn thing to squeak like mad? It's probably the single most annoying re-occurring noise I've ever had on any vehicle. I haven't torn my hair out because it doesn't affect the car's drivability.

The plunger inside the bore can get full of gunk and kinda bind making it feel sort a "crunchy".
My clutch felt way smoother and easier to push after bleeding it.
It may help with the noise and is part of regular maintenance anyway.

Grease on the clutch fork can help too.

Righteous, thanks for the diagram + steps! Always living up to your subtitle lol

Well fellas, I just got a notification from Corksport that my Poly exhaust hangers shipped, so soon I'll be able to minimize the clunking and swinging of my exhaust. All hangers are bad, and very well may be the cause of my leaks. Fingers crossed it's just the old hangers and not a mount.

Until then, my car will sound like a lawn mower

UPDATE:

A very loud lawnmower. Around 4kRPMs, the car and noise vibrates to the point where it's hard to hear anything at all. I gotta drive this thing sparingly...I'm definitely at the legal limits of car dB volume. Really can't wait for those exhaust hangers to arrive!!

Last edited:
Righteous, thanks for the diagram + steps! Always living up to your subtitle lol

Well fellas, I just got a notification from Corksport that my Poly exhaust hangers shipped, so soon I'll be able to minimize the clunking and swinging of my exhaust. All hangers are bad, and very well may be the cause of my leaks. Fingers crossed it's just the old hangers and not a mount.

Until then, my car will sound like a lawn mower

UPDATE:

A very loud lawnmower. Around 4kRPMs, the car and noise vibrates to the point where it's hard to hear anything at all. I gotta drive this thing sparingly...I'm definitely at the legal limits of car dB volume. Really can't wait for those exhaust hangers to arrive!!

would you be able to send me the link for those exhaust hangers? i browsed through the site but didn't find any specifically for a protege5... although i know it's probably a few 10mm and 12mm type hangers.
looking forward to hearing how they are!

would you be able to send me the link for those exhaust hangers? i browsed through the site but didn't find any specifically for a protege5... although i know it's probably a few 10mm and 12mm type hangers.
looking forward to hearing how they are!

I bought the Corksport 2014+ Mazda 6/3 poly hangers. They weren't cheap, but I should've bought these in the first place way back when I first got my exhaust. Can't remember when nor who told me, but these do indeed fit right in our hangers.

However, Crossover Auto also sells hangers, only these are urethane. No clue what the difference is between polyurethane and urethane...I never paid attention in chemistry, lol

I'll definitely weigh in on how these things are. All I know is that installing them is going to be a turbo-b**** due to the high durometer.

I bought the Corksport 2014+ Mazda 6/3 poly hangers. They weren't cheap, but I should've bought these in the first place way back when I first got my exhaust. Can't remember when nor who told me, but these do indeed fit right in our hangers.

However, Crossover Auto also sells hangers, only these are urethane. No clue what the difference is between polyurethane and urethane...I never paid attention in chemistry, lol

I'll definitely weigh in on how these things are. All I know is that installing them is going to be a turbo-b**** due to the high durometer.

Ah okay. Might order those as well, pending on how you feel about them lol. Poly derives from the greek word polus, which means many. so not so much chemistry :D. i think it might be a mixture of urethanes, may be a stronger hanger but i'm not too sure.
Lots of grease! cut the old ones off with a razor but i think you might already know that.

Last edited:
Back