[DEFUNCT] The College-Budget P5

Looking good man, glad your p5 escaped the storm. I gotta say I really miss driving mine already, these b2200s handle like pigs in comparison and lord the acceleration is lacking. Keep up the good work, your build inspires me to fix mine [emoji23]
Me too! What a rough day...good thing I still had my all-seasons on.

Not going to lie, but I'm kind of envious that you have a b2200! They're just so neat, and bring me back to my Zook days. As cool as those b2200s are, it seems like all the mods are on the engine/carb and not on suspension. Although, I've seen a few around here on lowering blocks. Which engine do you have?

Good luck on fixing up your P5!

just installed this mp3 ecu i borrowed from gabe. it definitely makes the car run smoother and peppier. you should install yours asap. im considering getting one of my own so gabe can still snuggle his mp3 ecu to bed

Last edited:
Ya there's not much suspension support just a few oem parts here and there. I have the 2.2 f2, completely stock as of right now with a rusted out half pipe exhaust and an out of tune stock Nikki carb. I plan to upgrade to the weber 32-36 and some pacessetters, looking for cams and mechanical rocker arms and new lifters.

just installed this mp3 ecu i borrowed from gabe. it definitely makes the car run smoother and peppier. you should install yours asap. im considering getting one of my own so gabe can still snuggle his mp3 ecu to bed
Nice man, is that with or without a VTCS delete?

I can't express enough how excited I am to install this thing. I know that the MP3 ecu alone is great, but I've also heard that pairing it with an improved manifold is even better.

Jeez this week can't end soon enough. I just want to wrench and get more zoom!

It keeps me warm at night knowing I have somewhat of a rare part lol Might need it for a DD protege if I stick with them in the future

Nice man, is that with or without a VTCS delete?

I can't express enough how excited I am to install this thing. I know that the MP3 ecu alone is great, but I've also heard that pairing it with an improved manifold is even better.

Jeez this week can't end soon enough. I just want to wrench and get more zoom!

without vtcs delete. i don't have time for that kind of thing unless i buy it already deleted.

On Wednesday, I sent the car in to the shop to finally get my head stud problem addressed. I've been sitting on this problem for almost half a year, and may have lost some degree of power and MPG because of this. With the way things are going, looks like I'll get my car back Monday instead of today :^S

When I get it back, I'll pull it into the garage, and begin ripping out whatever's in the way of the intake manifold. I cannot wait to start this project...

No word from my mechanic on the car being ready :^/

Sounds like things are going to be pushed back to tomorrow.

MP3 ECU + VTCS-less IM Installation

I got my car today, and I quickly began working as soon as I got home.

g860BFx.jpg

With my VTCS-less IM, gaskets, and ECU set aside on that chair, it was finally time. Beginning the job was easy! All I had to do was disconnect the battery, remove the stb, disconnect the fuel injectors, and all the plugs going out from the harness. From there, I removed the fuel rail and the four spacers, and I had an easy access.

wwaPUq6.jpg

This time around, when removing the IM, I got lucky. No real need for some janky weird extension setup; the ratchet slid right in to the two hardest places, and I began loosening bolts.

T73Oixm.jpg

Granted, the bolt on the driver's side was a little more tricky to get to, ultimately requiring an aditional U-joint, but it came out!

f7sFW8V.jpg

Not pictured was me fiddling with the manifold support arm underneath. At first, I thought I was doomed, since I couldn't get the upper-half out, but then I figured that removing the top two bolts on the support while loosening the bottom two would do the trick. And hey, it did! You certainly can do this job without having to spill fuel or drain coolant everywhere.

x1XqrqR.jpg

xmsNWBt.jpg

uguXSZO.jpg

New IM (left) vs old one (right)

I replaced both gaskets, faced them the proper direction as indicated in the Protege manual, and then seated my lovely modified IM. I had my little sister hold up the intake manifold (after I bolted down a couple connections) so that I could re-tighten the support arm's bolts.

When tightening down the driver-side bolt underneath the runner, I slipped and lost my wrench's extension and socket. Without any ability to reach it, I ran to the store and bought an extending magnet grabber. Oh well...

With the intake manifold installed and all the hosing, vacuum lines, and electrical sockets re-plugged, I got inside the car and took a look at the ECU. I removed the glove box for more space...

Oqyso3G.jpg

And after loosening the bolts, the ECU was revealed!

MtrpPvw.jpg

I took it out, fastened in the new one, and went to start the car.

...click...nothing...click...nothing

I almost s*** myself. Thought I killed it lol. Turns out I forgot to plug the pcv valve back in. Okay simple...but the thing still wouldn't start. I began to get nervous. I measured the voltage across the battery, and it was full. I double checked all my connections, and everything was fine. What the hell could it be??

I didn't tighten my ECU down enough (hand)

Then, the thing started right up. The engine featured a distinctive click to it, but after a minute or so, it went away. Check it out! Here's a vid of the first startup (sorry for the blue balls; I didn't think it would start, so I started filming immediately after it sparked)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKyz1cilWQI&feature=youtu.be

What a day! Took me about four and a half hours or so to get it all done.
**** FIRST IMPRESSIONS ****​

Good God in heaven, what a major difference! The thing has gumption past 5kRPMs now! It doesn't get hung up around 6kRPMs anymore, and pulls very nicely until redline. Power-wise, my butt-dyno informed me that it pulls harder past 2.5kRPMs. It doesn't really chug going up hills, and I can seemingly use more of the RPM band now. It accelerates a little harder, and it sounds a bit meaner, too. I can almost hear the air gushing through the manifold now.

Fellas, this was worth it. I'm about to go out and drive it some more, partly because I'm now making up errands to complete lol.

It pulls like an MP3, and now I got to make it handle like one! See you on the next update, where I'll drop in those trailing arms.

Nice man! I've been waiting for this. Makes me wanna get my extra manifold done soon!
Been doing research on how to get the intake manifolds off, as I wanna grab a head soon. Thanks for the U-Joint tips. Gonna pick some up payday

Nice man! I've been waiting for this. Makes me wanna get my extra manifold done soon!
Been doing research on how to get the intake manifolds off, as I wanna grab a head soon. Thanks for the U-Joint tips. Gonna pick some up payday

Glad I could give you some ideas! Just be prepared for that lower support arm that holds up the IM behind the engine. Those bolts are on so tight; took almost all of my might to bust them.

Congrats Riot! And just think, it will get even better as the computer re-learns with the new mani and ECU. (2thumbs)

Thanks man! Boy howdy I can't wait until it finishes re-learning how to run. Already, I love the additional top-end power. It's not some monster now, but it does its duty of pulling to redline cleanly.
Perhaps once I drop in the Hydra Motorsports lightweight crankshaft pulley, I can get some bottom-end to accompany the top-end!

Cel #4

My old enemy returns yet again -- P0171

I've sprayed down the MAF with inconclusive results, checked the PCV valve for the characteristic rattle (which it had), replaced my OEM air intake system with a CAI and ensured no leaks were anywhere, and it returns! It's very intermittent, but one pattern I've noticed was how it likes to come on after pushing the car a little harder than normal. Even lately, after I installed a new IM with brand new gaskets (both plenum and runner gaskets), did it appear again. To note, this CEL came on just today, after putting the car through its paces on some mountain roads (about an hour or so after).

There are three possibilities to look at here:

• Replace my fuel filter like pcb told me to almost a year or two ago (lol)
  • Check all the vacuum lines surrounding the IM I just installed
  • Check the connections between the IM, plenum, and head for gasket leaks (worst case scenario, I had a bad installation)
See, as mentioned, this problem is intermittent with the only pattern established relating to pushing the car hard. Even then, it doesn't always come on after pushing the car hard, as I've had a long span of time without this code coming up. It came on during some track days, and it came on when pushing it around town. I don't really hear any sort of indicative "hissing" from a vacuum leak (aside from the CAI hiss, which I'm told is a "feature", and hasn't caused the CEL itself, from past observations).

Do I just need to get my ass in gear and fix my fuel filter?

Last edited:
Replace my fuel filter like pcb told me to almost a year or two ago (lol)

Do I just need to get my ass in gear and fix my fuel filter?

I replaced my fuel filter when I found out my car had one.
It's like replacing an air or oil filter.
It's part of regular maintenance.

Replace your fuel filter before you burn out your fuel pump.
It's a lot more money to replace your fuel pump as well.

Last edited:
...Replace your fuel filter before you burn out your fuel pump.
It's a lot more money to replace your fuel pump as well...

I think I'll hit it before raceday next week, since I have all the necessary parts and tools. Shouldn't be too bad.
In typical P5 fashion, code P0171 disappeared again, because of course it did :^)

I drove the vehicle hard a couple more times these past few days, and still did not get the car to trip the CEL. So confused...but perhaps I'll never see it again after I replace my fuel filter unit thing.
The first scored Time Attack session is next week! I finally got around to buying a DOT Racing Helmet (don't need a Snell-rated one for this racing series), and put my summer tires and wheels back on. I cannot wait to see how I do...I've been keeping ahead of more powerful and (theoretically) more nimble cars such as Civic Sis and Integras, but that was before swapping wheels/tires and installing the IM/ECU. I'm hoping this translates to "Top 15" this year in my class, but really it's not going to be hard to top last year's performance. So long as I keep my mind open, I can only improve. I'll keep you guys posted.

Race Day Checklist:
  • Re-grease RSB bushings
  • Install AWR trailing arms
  • Replace fuel sending unit

that p0171 is a feature of the car. it also comes and goes on my vehicles lol

that p0171 is a feature of the car. it also comes and goes on my vehicles lol

Huh, so it's intermittent with you too? Is it a known or common problem? Well, if that's the case, next time it comes on, I'll clear the code and see what happens.

...As long as it doesn't look like this...

Thank goodness mine isn't that nasty; I took a look at it last year, and the only particulates in the way of the sending unit cap was just plain old dirt. Cleaning it off revealed a rather clean cover, but because I wasn't thinking, I got my interior all dirty because I blew it out with an air compressor. I was coughing and wiping my eyes, and when I could see again, I had to vacuum my car lol

i don't know if it's a known problem or not but it's been with my msp since 2009 lol. even after an entire engine swap (built block, reman head, new gaskets, all new vacuum hoses). it'll only come on for a day at most.

P0171: The Plan

P0171 is not an intermittent code for me anymore. Something's legitimately wrong with my car now, and I've got to fix it before racing day.

There are, generally speaking, three possibilities behind this code:
  • Vacuum system
  • Fuel system
  • O2 Sensors
How this is determined is by the behavior of ECU-scanned short-term fuel trim (STFT) and long-term fuel trim (LTFT) levels. I have a high reading of fuel trim percentage, which indicates the ECU is forcing the fuel pump to push way more than it needs to in order to compensate for a lean mixture. How these levels change as I hold the car at 1.5kRPM-2kRPM indicate what the problem is.

If the STFT dips down significantly or gets close to a proper STFT reading (around 8% or so), then it's a vacuum leak. Otherwise, it's a fueling issue.

Tomorrow, I'll be testing the STFT reading, which, fingers crossed, will reveal something I can work with. I don't want it to be the IM I just installed, personally...but regardless, I don't want to miss my race! I got Honda boys I gotta beat!!

Until then, enjoy some pictures I took out in the mountains last week!

zDoJtSr.jpg

IwIcDak.jpg

bUYeGOR.jpg

DiFQhhu.jpg

Back