[DEFUNCT] The College-Budget P5

Well, car's still sitting...As of today, I have about a week and a half to not only continue getting money for a starter, but to install it when it arrives. And I still have those trailing arms to install. Next race day is drawing near, and I've nothing!

Can't wait till summer break rolls around. Would love some actual time for working on my car! Until then, it's that Van I'm scooting around in.

If I'm bored enough, maybe I'll write up a little segment on it, much like the page about my old Suzuki.

Nothing like waiting for funds :)

Also, fellow former Suzuki owners unite!
K2yWeX1.jpg

:^D

Suzukis are such cool little cars! I've seen PCB's a while ago, but haven't seen your van. We Americans never received the kei stuff. One of these days, I'll import a Suzuki Alto Works RS/R or RS/X. Would be so rad to own one...

Got a starter!

m62ROBM.jpg

After reading so many people argue and bicker over whether remanufactured from Duralast was good or not, I decided to just buy one anyways. I'm sick of not having the car and watching the flash rust build up; it's time for a fix.

Installation seems simple enough. Three bolts, undo two wires, take out the old, put in the new. I haven't seen a proper "how-to" on the forum yet, so if I take enough pictures, I'll try and write one.

Car's going to have to re-learn how to idle and run again :^)

Good luck!

I did a starter in my old Capella (FS engine as well) and it was a 'fun' job. IIRC you've got to pull the intake piping (up to the TB) to get to the top bolts and the dogbone support brackety thing on the back of the motor as well, It's a tight fit under there but it will wiggle out with enough patience and swearing :)

(Apologies for a lack of pictures)

A special thanks to pcb for his starter diagram, and to Kiwi for his informative anecdote!

I got the old starter out, which was easier than anticipated. Annoying, yes, but easy. Seems like all my sockets and wrenches were just too long or too short, or had too few gear teeth. Anyhow, the connectors came of easily enough, but the booted connector on the solenoid was annoying as hell. Kept getting in the way, and couldn't be pushed aside. All the bolts came off nice and easy, and I slid the starter out.

Picture this: the old starter was mega crusty and dirty, as it was most likely the original one that came with the engine, but the domed part that slots into the flywheel was just black with dirt and oil residue. Absolutely filthy.

New one dropped right in with minimal effort. Honestly, this kind of installation is very self-explanatory and doesn't really need a guide. Just unplug the battery, unplug the two wires on top of the solenoid, unbolt the two bolts beneath the intake piping, unbolt the bolt underneath the starter, and you're done.

Biggest challenge was keeping my hand from cramping due to the awkward positions I had to hold the ratchet in.

After fixing it up, I found that I can start the car now, only after a couple key turns. I'll hear the new starter solenoid click, and then nothing happens. I do it once or twice more, and then it starts to crank normally. I dropped off my old starter for the core refund, got my battery and alternator tested, and they came up just fine. So, this sounds like it could be the ignition switch(?).

Oh well. Hallelujah, it starts without gravitational persuasion. I'm going to clean the injectors before fueling up next time, and will get on installing those trailing arms.

After fixing it up, I found that I can start the car now, only after a couple key turns. I'll hear the new starter solenoid click, and then nothing happens. I do it once or twice more, and then it starts to crank normally...

Check your clutch interlock switch.

I just got into my car and without pushing the clutch, I turned the the key to start and heard a solenoid click near the passenger floorboards.

That's not the starter solenoid, it's the other solenoids kicking out to give more power to the starter.

To test my theory, pump the clutch pedal while holding the ignition key to start position.
(in neutral of course)

Here's the test for the switch.

You can try to wiggle your key around while it's turned to start position to help identify a faulty ignition switch.

There's two switches on the clutch pedal.
One is for the cruise control and one is the interlock switch.

I'm pretty sure the one on the floorboard is the interlock switch.

Pretty sure this is the interlock switch.

This one's for the cruise control.

One guy bypassed his interlock switch so he could start his car without pushing the clutch.

You just unplug the connector and plug in an old school sized fuse.

You could bypass the switch and see if your car starts all the time then replace the switch or just leave the fuse in.

(I don't like that "mod" because I'm sure I'll end up starting it in gear and driving my car though the neighbors house. lol)

I bypassed the interlock switch on my parts car. (it's not going anywhere. lol)

It's a regular fuse from our car that fits.

Got a starter!

m62ROBM.jpg

After reading so many people argue and bicker over whether remanufactured from Duralast was good or not, I decided to just buy one anyways. I'm sick of not having the car and watching the flash rust build up; it's time for a fix.

Installation seems simple enough. Three bolts, undo two wires, take out the old, put in the new. I haven't seen a proper "how-to" on the forum yet, so if I take enough pictures, I'll try and write one.

Car's going to have to re-learn how to idle and run again :^)

I have the same starter. Installed over a year ago. Seems fine with no issues. (knock on wood) Install isnt too bad.

I still want to try that clutch bypass hack. Ever since I read about it in that megathread, it caught my attention. Plus, given the fuse over the plug, I could take it a step further and wire in a switch combo lockout mechansim! You wouldn't be able to hotwire the car that way, if I read the ignition diagram correctly.

Honestly, OG, I feel like every other person just likes to put on airs when it comes to parts. Car guys are an enigma. As much as they want statistics and proven performace results for the parts buy, they are also willing to swear up and down by the anecdotal! I'm guilty of this too!

By the way, the car is starting up everytime on the first keyturn now. It's completely returned to normalcy, for the time being. Finally going to install those trailing arms, perhaps on Saturday. Been sitting and collecting dust for a few months, now...

I still want to try that clutch bypass hack. Ever since I read about it in that megathread, it caught my attention. Plus, given the fuse over the plug, I could take it a step further and wire in a switch combo lockout mechansim! You wouldn't be able to hotwire the car that way, if I read the ignition diagram correctly...

Yea, that should work well. The switch could be really discreet so no one sees you reaching for it.

Keep an eye on things because if it turns out that you've got a faulty ignition switch, your car could die at any time out of nowhere.

Yea, that should work well. The switch could be really discreet so no one sees you reaching for it.

Keep an eye on things because if it turns out that you've got a faulty ignition switch, your car could die at any time out of nowhere.

happened in my old civic beater. luckily it was later in the day and i was able to pull over. restarted the car but i had to hold the key in a certain position (almost cranking it) for the car to stay running lol.

Indeed. It's more or less a convoluted kill switch, only instead of being wired into the fuel pump relay, it's wired to the clutch switch. Now that I think about it, a kill switch for the fuel system, and this lockout system I'm scheming together would mean no one would ever drive away with my car! This could be fun, I should wire up something on my breadboard to give it a try.

happened in my old civic beater. luckily it was later in the day and i was able to pull over. restarted the car but i had to hold the key in a certain position (almost cranking it) for the car to stay running lol.

Dangit, now you guys got me all paranoid about my ignition switch! Man that must be frightening. Must've been annoying driving the thing back home.
Nothing super serious or important, but I finally ditched that god-awful shift boot I threw together. I bought an OEM one off of amazon, but really considered this Bride one folks were talking up here lol

4l6rr6V.jpg

Compare the above to the nasty one here.

Much better! I need to clean that plastidip off of the cupholder molding and try to make it look pretty. I'm toying with the idea of wrapping it and the face of the radio with some vinyl or something. I'm not sure whether I want to go basic black, fancy carbon fiber, or color match with the body of the car.

So far, it looks like Saturday's going to be the day to switch out my trailing arms. I'm excited to drop in those trailing arms. I'll tell you whether or not it makes the rear happier after the race this Sunday!

Looks good! I should probably order a new oem one too, I just had to reglue some on mine lol.
I ditched the ebay bride boot special because the threads were starting to unravel. simplicity is key imo :D

Will be looking for the trailing arms update!

Back