[DEFUNCT] The College-Budget P5

Cool. Glad to help out. Everyone says to not use the exhaust manifold gasket or donut that it comes with too.

Now that you are racing have you sign up for mazdamotorsport?

Funny you mention that, since I actually worked up the gumption to do it two days ago! I was a little dissuaded at first, since I'm not a member of the SCCA or NASA but I discovered the ability to elaborate my racing league.

And holy Jesus, this competition parts store is most likely everyone's wet dream for the Protege. It offers some ultra-rare parts that folks have been clamoring for!

Mazdaspeed 4-2-1 Protege header:
QBJ1-13-450 (JDM MSP number) is listed at 1,470 bucks

FS9P-13-450A (Mazda catalog number) is at 779 dollars

Never knew there was a difference between the two, since apparently they're priced differently.

Mazdaspeed Chromoly Protege flywheel:
FS9P-11-500 is at 254(!!) dollars

Of course, there are some other parts I'm forgetting about...wasn't there some sort of rare hood that these cars came with at some point? Shoot me some part numbers of parts that rare, and I can look them up to see if they're still for sale. I'd imagine that I can find some special J-Spec cams for this car, too.

Damn guys, I just opened up a new world for parts! Seems like every other rare part people have been trying to get their hands on here is right there, available for sale. Yet, these parts are way out of my reach. Why must I be tormented by so many tempting money-wasting opportunities?! lmao

Cool. Glad to help out. Everyone says to not use the exhaust manifold gasket or donut that it comes with too.

Figured as much, since the gaskets that come with these performance parts tend to be crap anyways. Thanks for the help!

that's perfect for riot. just make the outside the same as your current p5. no one will no what's coming lol

that's perfect for riot. just make the outside the same as your current p5. no one will no what's coming lol

Bite the bullet and go with this. Still street-able. Turn signals, wipers, horn. All there. :D

https://www.racing.ca/index.php?section=view_post&id=1173

Oh sweet lord that's a hot P5...Tell you what, hold on to it for me for about 7 years and I'll get back to you once I graduate and have funds saved up XD

Man, can't possibly imagine the amount of work that went into a P5 like that. Wonder if I'd ever get my P5 like that, let alone work up the heart to rip everything out of it!

Last edited:
Parts Purchased So Far

Alright lads, got me a deal. Went ahead and bought a used (and wrapped) OBX header from JP Int'l since it was way less than anything I found. I also got the Universal 02 non-fouler from Amazon, and finally bought some exhaust hangers from Corksport. These are mostly for the rear, since my hose-clamp jury-rig is about at the end of its ropes!

Cat Elimination:

OBX Header...............$203.40 (JP; includes tax/shipping)
O2 Non Fouler............$10.24 (Amazon)
Ex. Hangers...............$58.44 (Corksport)

If I can find a midpipe + cat in the junkyard that's not complete bulls***, I'm looking at tops 50 bucks, but that's somewhat dicey.

Total........................$322.08 (junkyard special)
Total........................$449.87 (Doing it the right way; Rockauto midpipe + cat)

Or, the absolute best but least likely outcome,

Total........................$272.08 (getting the man to support me on the cat + midpipe)

Either way, all of these results are far cheaper than 645 bucks (my most expensive option) and 510 bucks (least expensive option), and that includes new exhaust hangers.

Heh, guess there's still some hope in regards to keeping this at a "College Budget" lol

Last edited:
No monetary chill

I bought the midpipe + cat from Rock Auto plus some gaskets. Well, here's hoping this 50-hour work week will help me bring some cash back in!

Looks like my parts will gradually arrive, day by day. The absolute last part will arrive on Friday (midpipe + cat). The header ships Monday, but I don't know how long it would take to ship from Canada. Regardless, there's lots of work to be had, and a bit of reading to complete.

Is there anything I should expect when completely changing out my exhaust system? Any quirks, tips, hints, suggestions (besides lacing the rusted bolts with penetrant for days before removal)? Anything I should know about the springs + bolts on the J-pipe to midpipe connection?

Swear to god I'm done spending money now...

wait until you're out of college and you still have the car and decide to pull the trigger on a turbo build :D :D :D

Now way! I've heard of all the problems turbocharging the 2.0L generates, and I don't think I'd like to do that. I think instead if I ever do some major change to the car's drivetrain or engine, it'll involve dropping in a KL-ZE (or KL-DE if I can't find the j-spec motor). But boy that's way far down the line. I got about two more years, despite being a Junior. Well, tastes change over time, so who knows what I'll do?

For some odd reason, I recently had a strong desire to buy an 8th generation Mitsubishi Galant, for instance. One to mess around with without any holdbacks or cares. You know, s*** like stripping it bare, experimenting with welding, opening up engines, you name it. Probably might even turn it into the dedicated track car, who knows.

Almost Ready: Minor Preparation

My midpipe arrived: apologies for fuzzy asshole levels of quality:

Y7gZm8D.jpg

Something about it seems a little off. Is the cat on this thing the same as the old one? I took a peak and saw that the cat is proper, with its mesh and whatnot inside, but still.

And of course, I laced down all the bolts with liquid wrench.

qS7H1h2.jpg

I also tested out using a massive adjustable wrench for both the EGR nut and the precat O2 sensor. Turns out it worked just fine, and I don't need some proprietary socket or wrench. I took a look at the O2 sensor itself, and the sniffer looks a little dirty. I forgot to take a proper picture, so I'll have to upload one later.

Just completed a second drenching (forgot to do it yesterday). Learned that my header will arrive Monday, so I can't be taking everything completely apart yet...guess I better go re-tighten the EGR nut and the O2 sensor!

In other news, I started going to the gym again with a new workout regime. Going for mAd GaInZ this time, so maybe by the time I finally get ripped enough, I won't need a jack anymore!!

It's time...

gzCYgRA.jpg

Going to grab a new midpipe gasket, clean off the various threads, and will get to work tomorrow.

You told me to dyno mine, but looks like youre getting the setup way before I do!

Post a new sound clip when you get it all on

You told me to dyno mine, but looks like you*re getting the setup way before I do!

Post a new sound clip when you get it all on

Heck of a circumstance I had...still can't get over the fact that second-hand aftermarket was cheaper than replacement OEM.

Guess I'll dyno mine! And you betcha I'll get a sound clip. I'm praying it doesn't make things ricey or raspy sounding, but I swear I watched a vid where someone had OBX + RB Catback and it wasn't ricey at all.

Headers and Midpipe and...s***

They're in!

ffntPRe.jpg

Took a little while--I'm kind of slow with these things. The EGR pipe wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. The real s*** was dealing with the rusted bolts and nuts.

Get a load of this. I didn't realize just how bad the exhaust leak was underneath the car. It wasn't a leak; it was a straight-up opening!

4i90umF.mp4

Literally nothing held it in. It was dangling.

The j-pipe's flanges were shredded off, and held in place by the midpipe's bolts + flanges.

3z3wWGh.jpg

The exhaust mani to pre-cat gaskets were completely wrecked.

ATtsMwY.jpg

But the installation was not without its problems.

I SNAPPED AN EXHUAST MANIFOLD BOLT!

C9l3v8c.jpg

Great!! I probably caused another exhaust leak after fixing another! I don't hear any leaks, but I hear a new rasp. Unsure if I tightened the header to midpipe connection well enough, but now I'm wondering if its because of the snapped bolt.

Damn it guys...I need a break!

UPDATE:

Yes, It's just as I feared.

There are still exhaust leaks on this car, but not where I expected.

One's on the resonator-muffler connection. Not expected at all. The gasket blew out, but only on one corner.

QANi3ut.jpg

And the other is at the header pipe to midpipe connection--one I was concerned about. It's tightened all the way, but there's still a leak! The s*** am I supposed to do about that?

Like I said...I need a break!

Sadness. I hope I don*t run into said leak on header to midpipe. I wouldn*t know what to do either.

Back