Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: The College-Budget P5

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

More and more I'm realizing how much I hate not having my rear swaybar in, it felt fun at first almost makes you feel like your going faster than you are. Then the front end lifts up and hello under steer, I agree man rear sway bars is where it's at.
    Sunburst 02 pro5 200k+ miles
    Mystery 4-1 header, mystery short ram, moog control arms, moog front endlinks, moog tie rods, moog trailing links, tein lowering springs, gutted interior
    All about them stickers, crumpled panels, and mismatched paint yo

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

I have the MSP specific fogs, I'm just paranoid of them falling out for some reason. I might go to a junk yard and grab an extra set of the side panels so I have a nice set just in case
    2003 Sunburst Yellow Mazda Protege5
    Follow my instagram @another_yellowp5

Mods List
    Interior
    - JVC head unit
    -Sound Ordinance Sub woofer
    Exterior
    -WeatherTech Rain Guards
    Performance
    -HKS axle back
    -MP3 Flashed ECU (removed)
    -MazdaSpeed Protege Turbo kit
    -Tein S tech springs
    -KYB Struts
    -MSP Rear Sway Bar
    -CR3 Relocation Brackets
    -FMIC kit

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Look at this picture:

Look carefully at the spacing between the front wheel and the fender arch, and the rear wheel and its respective arch. Here, I outlined the rough distances:

Now that's some serious squatting and diving. I don't even need to explicitly state what pedal I hit here lol...Christ this thing needs some better suspension. Take a look at this lean, too:

It's profound how much the thing rolls. I really can't wait until I get my rear subframe all fixed up. I'm probably going to buy some spring compressors for next weekend for some suspension operation, and will get in contact with the fabricator again to see if he can fit me in.
    Almost forgot to mention, had a funny bonding moment with my little sister last night.

I picked her up from homecoming, and before long came to a stop light just before the curvy section of my favorite city road. Some d-bag in a very generic WRX or STI (who gives a shit) takes off fast to flex on us, and I get a little annoyed. I then told my sister how too many dudes like that neglect the handling aspect of their car. All they do is just take off fast in a straight line, in the city or on the highway. Then, to demonstrate the point, I told her "hold on", dropped a gear, and caught up with him just before the curvy part of the road. Right as he lifted off and sat on the brakes to slow down, I zoomed right past and neogotiated the first curve, and my little sister went "woohoo!". He quickly vanished in my rearview mirror, and I moved over into his lane to top it all off. Naturally, he moved over into another lane that allowed him to rocket past me once the light turned green, so as to not understand that a 17 year old car without a swaybar outhandled his rally-origin machine. She was impressed by how far back he was after the curves, and used that opportunity to admit how she enjoys racing her engine and cornering in her own car. She's got some chutzpah if that's the case, since she drives a fairly high off the ground 4x4. Hell, she's probably got more potential on a race track than me :^)

I think next race I attend, I'll bring her along and buy her a pass.
    Last edited by Riot_Polizei; 09-21-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX 4-1 Headers ■ MP3 ECU ■ VTCS-less Intake Manifold ■ Mishimoto Aluminum Racing Radiator + Fan Shroud
    ■ AWR Trailing Arms ■ Eibach Lowering Springs

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

Damn that's allot of brake dive, cant imagine what mines like with no rear brakes. Is this without the rear sway bar? If its with a bar that's just sad, I thought our wagons were sturdier than that. You have a beefy strut tower bar too right?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by STudMUffin1177 View Post
    Damn that's allot of brake dive, cant imagine what mines like with no rear brakes. Is this without the rear sway bar? If its with a bar that's just sad, I thought our wagons were sturdier than that. You have a beefy strut tower bar too right?
    Yeah, my brake nose dive is monstrous, mostly in part due to my beefier 626 brakes! In fact, sometimes my tire grip can't keep up with the brakes, which makes threshold braking tough. That picture was taken when I nailed my threshold brake, and you see the results lmao.

And it's definitely without any swaybar. God this thing's unbearable without a swaybar. It's truly insane just how the rear multilink suspension is rendered useless without it.

I do have a beefy strut tower bar, but unfortunately RSTB only really help with cutting down chassis flex. It does very little to prevent body roll, which absolutely obliterated me this last event. I'm still salty about it!!
    A little bonus, I got to drive a pal's stock 6-speed Subaru BRZ. I know I was talking mad smack about Subaru drivers recently, but this guy's great, hear me out lol

Wow-ee, I got some more perspective on just how underpowered our cars are. People were complaining and whining about how the BRZ/FRS/GT86 shipped from the factory underpowered. My pal here told me that it's very peaky, and doesn't do much past a certain RPM...but it was very eager to rev and accelerate! It's got quite a bit of gumption, and doesn't quit revving past 5.5kRPM like a certain car I know. It was pretty fun driving it at WOT and then making a couple U-turns. I got the rear to slide out just a little bit; quite a new feeling for me. I handled it alright.

That coupe weighs as much as our P5s, but has 70 more horsepower from the factory. Man, if our cars had that sort of power stock, think about the amount of weight they would've carried in the car scene years ago...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Wheeeeeeee! That actually looks like fun, but definitely isn't the best for track times!

I wonder if you could use the body roll and weigh transfer to get the back end out and a pseudo drift going on, it'd be wildly uncontrollable, but it'd be fun!

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by LankyKiwi View Post
    Wheeeeeeee! That actually looks like fun, but definitely isn't the best for track times!

I wonder if you could use the body roll and weigh transfer to get the back end out and a pseudo drift going on, it'd be wildly uncontrollable, but it'd be fun!
    Trust me, it only looks fun, but persisted as a major buzzkill throughout the whole course! It was a very tight and winding one in particular, and my chassis could not keep up. Anytime a quick maneuver would've come in handy, the front wheels lifted and spun.

I couldn't get a powerslide, unfortunately. The front rolled at a greatly lower rate than the rear, which meant the rear would still be finding it's maximum while the front's at it's limit, henceforth having the rear lift the front wheels around corners. The rear RSTB mitigated this slightly, but not enough too keep the front down :^(

Although, maybe if I flicked the steering wheel and yanked the handbrake...eh, I probably would've killed myself lol!
    I'm contemplating taking my chances with a whole new rear subframe, and maybe some new front/rear lateral links on top of it.

This is due to my finding of a concerning dent around the driver-side bolt hole on my rear subframe. I got to take a picture of it for you guys' input, but I'm afraid it may even mess with the structural integrity of the swaybar system. Plus, a rear subframe at the local junkyard is shy of 30 bucks, versus 120+ dollars spent at the fabricator

Problem is, weldnuts got me in to this mess. If the weldnuts the rear subframe's connected to snap, then I'm in a real fix. Maybe I should get a torch if I plan on swapping the subframe...

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    ... Maybe I should get a torch if I plan on swapping the subframe...
    Cheers dude, it worked for me!

And that was from my rusty parts car that has been sitting for 4 years.
    I was nervous about my gas tank being so close as well as my fuel lines so I didn't glow it red hot.

If you have your parts subframe detached, you can torch the shyte out of it.

PS... Put anti-seize on every nut, bolt (and even some screws) that you remove and reinstall on your car.
    Last edited by pcb; 09-22-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

lolmsp

get on this level of gap! haha jk i know i'm comparing the wrong side. also yes, i was just in the other cars way

03 MSP

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    get on this level of gap! haha jk i know i'm comparing the wrong side. also yes, i was just in the other cars way
    Man I want to be on that level of gap! If I can get that low and stop dipping and diving, I'd actually be competitive.

That must've been fun. Was it a HPDE, or open track day? Those are some fat Mustangs behind you; you could've easy thrashed them in the corners. I hear that a lot of those muscle car fellas are cunts on open track days, since they expect you to point-by after they finally catch up to you on a straight line.

Either way, I want to attend an HPDE some day. I'm really not confident in my car's ability to operate under constant duress.
    Thought you guys might appreciate this.

I finally took the CDCV to the lab to test if it works. I first calculated the internal resistance, which was very low compared to a lot of test circuits I'm accustomed to working with. From there, I calculated my "safe" operational power given the internal resistance and voltage. That led me towards finding the proper current per the test 9V.

With my values all calculated with an expected safe operation, I hooked up some alligator clips, and...

Neat, huh? Just a little click, and it opens right up. I think this weekend, I'm going to drain the most likely flooded EVAP canister again, replace my two-way check valve, and replace the CDCV. Heck, might test it, too.

This weekend, I'm going to try my best to go to the junkyard for a new rear subframe, and am going to try to get the lowering springs in. Gotta hit up a pal about my hood, too. He told me that he'll take a look at it, see if he can get anything done on it.

2002 mazda protege 5

The easy part about using a regular 9V battery is that you don't have to worry about safe operation.

You can dead short the battery and nothing is going to blow up.
    When you short the battery, it can't deliver the amps so the voltage takes a huge dump and there is no power transfer.

You can test for voltage on your tongue and easily bring it to the scrapyard to test stuff.

If the component works with only 9V and milliamps then it should work with 12-14V.

You can make your own tester with leads using an old 9V battery.

You remove the connector at the top of the old battery and use it to clip in some wires.

I touched the wires together a bunch of times and couldn't get it to spark.

Registered Member

lolmsp

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    Man I want to be on that level of gap! If I can get that low and stop dipping and diving, I'd actually be competitive.

That must've been fun. Was it a HPDE, or open track day? Those are some fat Mustangs behind you; you could've easy thrashed them in the corners. I hear that a lot of those muscle car fellas are cunts on open track days, since they expect you to point-by after they finally catch up to you on a straight line.

Either way, I want to attend an HPDE some day. I'm really not confident in my car's ability to operate under constant duress.
    Thought you guys might appreciate this.
    it was my first time there at an HPDE event with an instructor. 5 to 6 runs of 25-30 minutes each. my instructor said since it was my first time to ignore everyone else and let them all pass me on the straight away so i don't get distracted. after riding in my instructor's miata 1 run before my last, i learned that i was either too careful/gentle with my turn ins or i was taking a bad line. on my last run, my instructor said the ride along really helped me improve as i was able to use some of his lines. i got overly confident on one turn and ended up losing control coming out of a right turn (the track has all long sweeping turns except for 1 hairpin), did a 180, drifted off to left field, came back on the track still at 180 and drifted off to the right field lol. luckily this track has PLENTY of grass in their run off area. wasn't my first time running off track so it didn't spook me at all. i always felt my suspension was too soft so i swapped out my springs but never got a chance to return for another event. something always came up but it's all good. maybe next year.

2002 Mazda Protege5

PCB, I don't know why that's never occurred to me to try that lmao...thanks for the pointer! I'm going to toss a 9V battery into my tool box for whenever I need to pull electric parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    it was my first time there at an HPDE event with an instructor. 5 to 6 runs of 25-30 minutes each. my instructor said since it was my first time to ignore everyone else and let them all pass me on the straight away so i don't get distracted. after riding in my instructor's miata 1 run before my last, i learned that i was either too careful/gentle with my turn ins or i was taking a bad line. on my last run, my instructor said the ride along really helped me improve as i was able to use some of his lines. i got overly confident on one turn and ended up losing control coming out of a right turn (the track has all long sweeping turns except for 1 hairpin), did a 180, drifted off to left field, came back on the track still at 180 and drifted off to the right field lol. luckily this track has PLENTY of grass in their run off area. wasn't my first time running off track so it didn't spook me at all. i always felt my suspension was too soft so i swapped out my springs but never got a chance to return for another event. something always came up but it's all good. maybe next year.
    Ah okay, I see what you mean. I've a bad tendency to assume the worst in people, lol.

Well, I'm glad you were able to lose control of your car in a safe and controlled environment. Now you know your limits, and you still have your car! Next you go out, if you have time, you have to get some videos. Would be a lot of fun to see some more racing action on this side of the forum!

2002 Mazda Protege5

Carbon Fiber Hood, Pt.1

Howdy, I'm pleased to report that I've officially began fixing up the hood!

The pal I mentioned truly is a great guy. He's got some expertise in regard to bodywork, as he's done a lot of restoration work in the past. He showed me how to use a grinder properly (it had a flapdisc on it), and went over the general process for working with something like this.

Again, my camera on my phone is complete garbage, but look at these pictures of our progress on the hood:

It's beginning to look a lot less like a giant burnt egg and a little more like a real carbon fiber hood! Another bit of good news is that the underside is fiberglass, and can be treated with a paint thinner/remover, unlike carbon fiber. That middle piece and the underside can be cleaned off easily.

Afterwards, we went to the car meet, and look what I found!

Crazy seeing one of these up close. A guy whose name I constantly forgot (won't forget again) and met several times owns it. He's brand new to the platform, so I was able to give him some pointers, strengths, and weaknesses about the car. I still feel pretty bad for forgetting him so many times in a row; I probably ruined any chance at being a pal.
    For two days in a row now, I've been lacing my rear subframe bolts and the lateral link bolts down with PB blaster. I really, REALLY don't want to snap anymore weldnuts, and snapping any in the subframe is most likely the end of the car, so I'm being as careful as I can.

It sounds like tomorrow is more likely the day that I drop in those springs and replace the subframe. We'll see what happens!

2002 mazda protege 5

Keep in mind that if you have PB blaster or any lube on it, it will start on fire if you put flame to it.

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast