CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: The College-Budget P5

Registered Member

lolmsp

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    A bit of grease might help with the chirping.
    that's a temporary fix
    03 MSP, 03 P5

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Did some research on replacing the clutch master cylinder...looks like a PITA. One of those hand-contorting jobs, you know? Lol oh well.

Gotta double-check Rockauto again, but replacing the clutch slave/master cylinders thankfully doesn't seem too expensive.

Once that's done, I gotta wait for Mazda Motorsports to confirm my membership status for this year. That way I can buy that Chromoly flywheel, and let that sit here for a bit.
    Race day's coming up! I've a dying 3rd gear, questionable clutch cylinder health, crazy squeaks (ungreased bushings from rear swaybar), a new clunk in the front driver-side of the car, a possibly bad CV Axle...yeah, not going to risk racing this thing.

However, it looks like I found someone willing to help me out. He may allow me to co-drive his Civic EK hatch come Sunday. Best part is, he was quite the P5 guy at one point! I took a look at his facebook pictures (lol snooping) and spied a P5 with KL V6 dropped right in. Looks like I finally found a fellow enthusiast! Hopefully, I can get to know him well enough, and form a beneficial friendship between the both of us.
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX 4-1 Headers ■ MP3 ECU ■ VTCS-less Intake Manifold ■ Mishimoto Aluminum Racing Radiator + Fan Shroud
    ■ AWR Trailing Arms

Registered Member

Mazda Protege5

It's been a while since I was on here but how was the install of the trailing arms and what did you notice when you first drove it?
    2002 Mazda Protege5 Pure White

MP3 Flashed ECU | Mishimoto Radiator/Shroud | MS Door Sills & Shift Knob | OBX Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings | Goodridge SS Brake Lines | CorkSport 3rd Link Mod | MPV Wiper Stalk & Tribute Nozzles | S2K Antenna | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Rear Bumper Guard with Matte Black Rear Valance | 205/55R16 Kumho Ecsta 4XII on 03 P5 Wheels

Among the fair amount of maintenance work done.

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Lookey what arrived today!

A little while back I bought some of those CR3 relocation brackets, and they've arrived! Nicely powder-coated, too. I'm going to buy some new Energy Suspension bushings + brackets soon. Might sell my old (now pre-bent lol) brackets to anyone that wants them. They'll be cheap, since I hogged out the bolt holes a little, and the bend is not optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by stormkyori View Post
    It's been a while since I was on here but how was the install of the trailing arms and what did you notice when you first drove it?
    Good to hear from you again! Given the fact that I went from a broken component to an upgrade, the difference was fairly dramatic. I described the old handling sensation as being a "ropy ass". When I entered a turn that would force the car to lean a lot, the rear would briefly oscillate left/right in a semi-twisting motion about the car length-wise. During this, there would be the slightest bit of lift and bounce. In other words, it lost a lot of stability of the course of its road-faring years. I suspect part of this instability was also because the connection to the chassis had a crapload of play in it thanks to there being no bushing left, which allowed my rear wheels to change their castor on the fly lol.

After installing the arms, the above described oscillating "ropy ass" was practically eliminated. The strange lift/bounce and left/right oscillation was no more. The rear held through corners, and refused to lift or shift the castor. As an added benefit of the oversized poly bushings, the rear was stiffened up, which granted me the ability to swing out the rear on command if I wanted to. All in all, an excellent upgrade, and easy as sin to install!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

lolmsp

my brackets came in yesterday!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839