[DEFUNCT] The College-Budget P5

Well if something ever gets you frustrated up to that point again, find a small shop that'd be willing to do it for you. I found a shop to do some of my work and I always bring the parts so I only pay for labor. I take my car to them whenever I need to get some s*** done that I know would frustrate the **** out of me... empty wallet but frustration free :)

I send my car into the shop for things I've no idea how to fix, and man does it take a load off :^)

But it does also take a load off my wallet, lol. I'm here hoping I don't have anything else to contend with. I'd imagine changing belts isn't too hard, is it? I definitely want to take a look at my belts, since one of them likes to slip/squeal in the rain.

PS...

I found a shortcut for adjusting the alternator.

I don't loosen the bottom bolt of the alternator (which involves lifting your car and crawling underneath).

I just loosen the adjuster bolt, then wedge a hammer handle in between the firewall and the alternator and carefully pry it forward.
When I tighten the the belt I wedge the handle between the engine and alternator and push it.
When the belt is properly tensioned I snug up the adjuster bolt (you don't want to strip the adjuster bolt with all that tension)

I remember one guy that stripped his bottom alternator bolt then couldn't get the bolt out to replace it.

That sounds nifty, but I gotta take a look at my alternator to really see what you mean. Gotta try it myself sonetime!

As a side-update, I did something kind of dumb to my header -> midpipe connection. When I removed my header to extract the broken stud, I didn't loosen the aforementioned connection. As a result, I crunched in the donut gasket and created a brand new leak :^(

Yeehaw lads, going back in for leak repair round 7!

Update:

No clue how, but I completely lost one of the bolt + nut assemblies on the midpipe -> resonator connection! This loosened up the other too, which created the leak, but thankfully did not eject the gasket.

I found another bolt and nut to put on there temporarily, but I need something bettee.

In other news, my header + midpipe connection is perfectly fine.

Still planning on the lightweight pulley mod, and perhaps just getting an MP3 Intake mani rather than getting a standard one to gut.

And finally, I heard my first exhaust pop! No, my tires are still inflated :^)

I put it in first, accelerated to about 2.5kRPMs, let off the gas, and heard it pop. Felt badass.

I wanna make mine backfire ): love the little pops.
But why try to find a MP3 manifold instead of a VTCS delete on a standard one? 323 just offered me one and in the next coming weeks i'm going to get it and start the delete and a port and polish

I'd imagine changing belts isn't too hard, is it? I definitely want to take a look at my belts, since one of them likes to slip/squeal in the rain.

That's my next planned project, all the belts and the waterpump so if I tackle it before you do, I'll let you know how it goes :)
But as far as it goes I've always learned that working on cars isn't hard, it's just the length of time to do it and/or the location. In this case it'll be both >:/

I have to do the VTCS delete sometime too, seems pretty straightforward right?

I have to do the VTCS delete sometime too, seems pretty straightforward right?

It's definitely simple, but simple doesn't mean easy. Gotta tear out a couple parts, and then carefully fill in the holes with high-temp epoxy. Only problem I see here is that epoxy bonds best with heat and metal, and you're merely filling in a hole as opposed to "welding" something together. People have done it with great success, though, so you probably won't run into any problems.

Can't wait to hear from you about getting the belts!

Had another car meet, and went for a fun-filled cruise through some twisty roads. I'm very fortunate, as these guys I've been meeting and hanging with are very fun and genuine!

YK7PiOh.jpg

I got a little too ballsy at one point, and given how everyone was pulling with one another, I went head-to-head with the Toyota 4Runner.

DISCLOSURE: STREET RACING IS DUMB AND I WON'T DO IT AGAIN

We were side-by-side, and I dropped into third, and I pulled on him! First "street race" I've won. Also, I could keep up fairly well with the TSX, but the TC, Civic, and 370Z were a little much for me.

Man oh man, I wonder what sort of magic can happen once I finally improve the intake manifold and drop in the ECU?

DISCLOSURE: STREET RACING IS DUMB AND I WON'T DO IT AGAIN

Here in Ontario, anything more than 30 m/hr over the speed limit is considered stunt driving.

There's more than a few guys in my town that have to get their girlfriends to drive their car.
They hang their heads in shame in the passenger seat while their girlfriend drives all safe and legal and such.. lol

Last edited:
Precisely why I don't wanna get into the street s*** anymore than I have. Damn, how much that must hurt to love cars and work on them, but to shoot yourself in the foot and bar yourself from driving...

Two guys out of the group I spoke with have only 1 point remaining on their licenses!

I got pulled on the bike doing 135 in a 35 a few months ago. I somehow didn't get a ticket or anything. needless to say, the rest of the way home I was doing one mile under the speed limit lol Virginia is ridiculous with speeding fines, especially when it becomes reckless (20 over the limit or anything 80+) Nice to see your little wagon beating some way more powered cars though lol

Can't you bring your friends to track day and do it legally ??

Believe it or not, they're all too chicken!! They'll happily race in a straight line on the streets, but in an actual competition setting? "Nah man, I gotta make more power first..." It's a shame that they don't trust their cars, man.

I got pulled on the bike doing 135 in a 35 a few months ago. I somehow didn't get a ticket or anything. needless to say, the rest of the way home I was doing one mile under the speed limit lol Virginia is ridiculous with speeding fines, especially when it becomes reckless (20 over the limit or anything 80+) Nice to see your little wagon beating some way more powered cars though lol

Are you serious? That's the most I've ever heard anyone speed, Christ! Seems like the cops in Virginia are omega chill, regardless of their speeding fines. But yeah, it felt nice being able to "beat" someone in the car, in a straight line, no less. But what'll really make my day is when I become much more competitive in my class at the time attack! Gotta work on those skills.

General Update

School's really ramping up hard, so I've little to no time to tinker with my vehicle. Everything's relatively nominal, with the odd old car clunk and whatnot. There are some things to note and touch upon:

Belts, Pulleys, Motor Mounts
I learned about this by pushing down on the throttle body actuator while it was running. Just a little bit, it rocks backwards and slightly counter-clockwise (planar to the ground). It's just a small amount, and the video couldn't demonstrate it due to my holding it with one handing and pushing the actuator. Guess my mounts are at the beginning stages of going out?

Also, I took another look at my pulleys, and it kind of looks like they all had a slight wobble to their spins. Again, couldn't pick it up on camera, but just something I noted. Also time for new pulleys and belts? Perhaps if I ever get back to a stable bank level, I can replace all the pulleys and belts, and swap out that CS pulley for a lightweight one.

Exhaust System
I need to take one more look at my exhaust ports at the block. Maybe I crunched the header's gasket, since there's still an extremely tiny amount of air slipping through the exhaust block -> header connection.

MP3 ECU + VTCS Removal/MP3 Intake
As usual, the MP3 ECU still rests in my room. I toy with the idea of just plugging it in without removing the VTCS, but I don't want them to be stuck closed or whatever. Just gotta keep saving money for a proper MP3 IM (would take far less time than gutting out the VTCS myself).

RacingBeat Swaybar
The swaybar still sits in my garage, and with it the hardware I purchased from AWR and the proper endlinks. While not a time consuming project at all, I fear shredding off the puny endlink tabs on the OEM struts.

Bushings/Hangers for Exhaust
Oh, and I recall posting about how my exhaust system would bang against the bumper. Well, the poly hangers are excellent, and really hold the catback in place, but it revealed to me that the problem also involved my bumper being loose. Those splash shields are broken and missing, so there's little to no structural assistance. My bumper is currently held on by two screws at the sides, and three (or four? can't remember) fasteners under the trunk. Sketchy...especially since it likes to bang around.

Heat Shield
Man this thing is annoying! It's looking like it's ready to break off, and it's banging around on my exhaust, so I really need to draw up plans for "building" one. Just get some sheet metal, rivnuts, and plug it in.

Suspension
I can hear my springs squeaking and moving, just like when I first got my car (which had blown struts almost all around). I gotta go inspect them to make sure I didn't blow them out...now that would suck! But, if they were done for, I would save up the cash for a proper sportier suspension system. Gotta send an email to RacingBeat if they truly still have Tokicos in stock; I really don't want to screw with coilovers at the moment.

I mused on the idea of getting either Megan or AWR's trailing/lateral links. It's probably a far more reasonable and obtainable upgrade to put before a whole new suspension system, but I dunno. Money's still tight, and I gotta put it in proper places.

Man, there's a cusco front tie bar I can buy four about 100 bucks...damn that's tempting.

Shifter
Still back to OEM, but with that weird shiny knob sent with the OBX adjustable shifter. Feels nice, really, but sometimes I find myself missing gears due to muscle memory claiming the throw is much shorter. I gotta get another short throw someday...

Sometime later, I'll update my maintenance/modifications list on the top page with this info. Until then, I'm just riding easy and studying :^)

it was a stupid decision lmao I had just got outta class, it was 10pm, road was clear and I just pulled the throttle back, rowed through a few gears. Looked down saw 135 looked back up and everything was blue lol
Cops usually aren't that chill. I've gotten pulled over 3 times for speeding and have 3 speeding tickets. This was university police (they're actually a police district here), I don't think they actually got me on the radar, and I actually pulled over and didn't give him trouble. I also don't think he saw me, just heard me and knew I was on the main road. Needless to say, when I stopped I expected to be immediately arrested no questions asked lol

Oh man fellas, there's an MSP for sale near me for 1000 bucks. Engine is knocking, though.

Man...if I had more money to throw around, I'd grab it and try to fix it up. That way, I'd keep my P5 as a reliable daily, and use it for racing.

October: In With the Change

Finally, I have some breathing room.

Got done with a bunch of midterms, and now I have probably a week or two to do things with my car. For instance, I'm going to at least test fit/try out that sway bar for the final upcoming time attack event. Makes me a little nervous with the delicate multilink tabs on the strut, but, well...I think I blew them out on accident anyways lol.

I have gotten one thing done, though. Snows starting to fall again, weather's getting bad, so I went ahead and put my all-seasons back on. They're on the original rims, so I lost a little bit of track width/tire width in exchange for lighter weight and better s*** weather grip.

Man, can't wait to put these back on...

HGlQ0Dh.jpg

I also ran into a bit of misfortune. Looks like some pinhead scraped into my car in the school's parking garage, and fled without leaving a note. It's not too noticeable, but damn :^(

suCgXAV.jpg

zIvB8FO.jpg

Obviously, he wasn't parked next to me when I returned to my car...I'm still keeping my eye out for a red/maroon car with yellow streaks on it. Gonna have to get that repaired soon.

And it looks like something broke or went wrong in my fuel tank system. I can't fill it up all the way anymore; it constantly shuts off the pump when I'm nowhere near full. Shouldn't there be a solid valve or something the fuel pump nozzle pushes in? If so, I think I'm missing it. Another thing to investigate.

I'm thinking about finally taking the plunge and buying an MP3 Intake Manifold. Income's been pretty good, and my coin jar is filled to the brim. Once the next paycheck comes in, I'll hit up JP Int'l and see what's in stock.

If this wasn't such a hard semester, I'd be much more interactive :^)

Until then, I'll just be puttering around town.

And it looks like something broke or went wrong in my fuel tank system. I can't fill it up all the way anymore; it constantly shuts off the pump when I'm nowhere near full. Shouldn't there be a solid valve or something the fuel pump nozzle pushes in? If so, I think I'm missing it. Another thing to investigate.

Don't put in more than about 50 worth if gas after your pump handle clicks off.
Fuel will end up running down the vent tube and plugs your filter.
One guy had gas get sucked up into the canister under the hood and said it was gurgling like a bong.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...Trouble-Filling-Gas-Tank-Can-only-fill-slowly

Back