How to fix fuel tank leak

I have a 2008 CX-9 AWD...I'm noticing a gas smell from my car...looks like it is leaking near the op of the gas tank (the side under the passenger side). Should i spend the money on getting the tank replaced? or should I use some jb weld or something to repair it? Is the tank plastic or metal? I can't really tell. Am I ok driving this thing around?

I would try the JB Weld first, they make it for metal only and they also have JB Weld for plastic only. Not sure what the tank is made of, maybe if you try tapping on it with a screwdiver or something you can tell which it is by the sound it makes.

If you find it doesn't stop the leak then look at a new or used fuel tank.

Thanks for the response. Just an opinion, do you think it's still fine to drive around with it? I have to at least go to the autoparts store to grab some JB weld.

I doubt there's any harm driving it a little, but don't take my word for it, inhaling the fumes isn't good for you either.

I suspect that fuel tanks are metal, no?

I know my fathers 2004 RX-8 just had the recall performed a few months ago on the bad seal on the upper gas tank/fuel pump assembly, perhaps yours is also covered under a similar recall?

Auto parts stores will typically have a "Gas Tank Repair" kit. Typically a 2 part play-dough moldable epoxy. JB should work also...

Last edited:
Download the repair manual. See if there's an access to the fuel pump underneath the rear seat. My 05 Mazda 3 had a similar issue and it ended up being the big ass plastic nut that holds the fuel pump to the tank.

Back