Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Anyone Running 245/50/19 Tires?

  1. #1
    Registered Member finch204's Avatar

    2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    1,081

    Anyone Running 245/50/19 Tires?

    Looking for new tires for our 2016 CX-5. Not really a fan of the tires available in the stock 225/55/19 tire size. So I was looking at an alternate tire size, 245/50/19. Is anyone running tires in that size? If so, what tires are you running and how does your CX-5 drive?

    At the moment, I'm looking into getting Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires, in 245/50/19 for my CX-5. I have these tires on my Speed3 and they are pretty good, but I don't know how they would feel on a CX-5.


  2. #2
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    I would stick to 245/55/r19, but youll be fine choosing 50 if you drive over smokth pavement.

  3. #3
    Registered Member finch204's Avatar

    2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    I would stick to 245/55/r19, but youll be fine choosing 50 if you drive over smokth pavement.
    245/55/r19 has a little over 3% diameter difference over stock, which is more than I want. I try to keep the difference below 1% when going for alternate tire sizes; the difference between stock and 245/50/r19 is only 0.3%. That said, for those looking for slightly taller/bigger tires, 245/55/r19 seems like a good size and should still fit on the stock wheel.

    ------------------
    I emailed TireRack this morning and asked them about my plan to go DWS06 in 245/50/r19. Customer service rep said that it should fit well and they see no problems going with that setup. So I'm most likely going that route. Bonus points is that the DWS06 tires cost only $145, versus the Continental True Contact tires in stock size that costs $167.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  4. #4
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    245/55/r19 has a little over 3% diameter difference over stock, which is more than I want. I try to keep the difference below 1% when going for alternate tire sizes; the difference between stock and 245/50/r19 is only 0.3%. That said, for those looking for slightly taller/bigger tires, 245/55/r19 seems like a good size and should still fit on the stock wheel.

    ------------------
    I emailed TireRack this morning and asked them about my plan to go DWS06 in 245/50/r19. Customer service rep said that it should fit well and they see no problems going with that setup. So I'm most likely going that route. Bonus points is that the DWS06 tires cost only $145, versus the Continental True Contact tires in stock size that costs $167.
    Well in that case you should be fine, but keep in mind that a 245 width tire is way too wide for your OEM wheel which is only like 7 or 7.5 inches. I'd get 8.5 or even 9inch aftermarket wheels if you want a 245 tire to fit comfortably.

    Keep in mind that the OEM tire size is indeed 55/r19 which is meant to work with your speedo, current final drive ratio, etc. But if you've done your research then you're good. Just don't forget that typically tire companies all have slightly different sizes, so for example a 50 sidewall might look more like a 45 in comparison to other tires, so make sure you look at the tire you want in person before deciding.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX-5 GT Tech 2017 White

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    19
    Yes I had 245-50-19 Continental DWS06 on Fast Wheels 8.5x19 I guest.
    Phenomenal grip not harsh at all.

  6. #6
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    I strongly recommend against it. A 225 tire fits well on a 7-8" Rim. A 245 tire will fit, you just won't get the footprint of a 245 tire unless you get a wider rim... Think of it as a balloon effect, the tire will be a little stretched over the rim which will degrade performance.

    Some people say it will fit, and it will, just not optimally. I recommend following this chart as close as possible for an optimal tire fitment.


  7. #7
    Registered Member Ride92's Avatar

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Menomonee Falls WI
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    Well in that case you should be fine, but keep in mind that a 245 width tire is way too wide for your OEM wheel which is only like 7 or 7.5 inches. I'd get 8.5 or even 9inch aftermarket wheels if you want a 245 tire to fit comfortably.

    Keep in mind that the OEM tire size is indeed 55/r19 which is meant to work with your speedo, current final drive ratio, etc. But if you've done your research then you're good. Just don't forget that typically tire companies all have slightly different sizes, so for example a 50 sidewall might look more like a 45 in comparison to other tires, so make sure you look at the tire you want in person before deciding.
    Will you just stop it already! Go back to the Mazda6 section. Your information in almost always totally bogus! Case in point, you recommend the OP get a 9" wide wheel to go along with the 245/50R19 tires he's looking at. The specs for the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 say that recommend rim width be between 7"-8.5" so you are wrong in saying he should go with a 9" wide rim. Again, you are miss informed on tire sizes and aspect ratios. Someone already pointed out that just because the OEM tire is series 55 doesn't mean that only a 55 series tire can be used. If the tread width is getting larger or smaller, the aspect ratio needs to follow suit in order to maintain the overall diameter of the tire. A 245/50R19 has roughly the same diameter as a 225/55R19 tire, they are 0.3% different is size, not enough to matter. That 0.3% difference will mean that at 70mph on the OEM tires will be 69.8mph on the new size. 0.2mph difference is not going to be noticed by anyone, even police and radar guns! Now a 245/55R19 is 3.1% larger diameter and 2.2mph faster. Granted not a huge jump but it will be noticeable.
    Just Giver!!!

  8. #8
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride92 View Post
    Will you just stop it already! Go back to the Mazda6 section. Your information in almost always totally bogus! Case in point, you recommend the OP get a 9" wide wheel to go along with the 245/50R19 tires he's looking at. The specs for the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 say that recommend rim width be between 7"-8.5" so you are wrong in saying he should go with a 9" wide rim. Again, you are miss informed on tire sizes and aspect ratios. Someone already pointed out that just because the OEM tire is series 55 doesn't mean that only a 55 series tire can be used. If the tread width is getting larger or smaller, the aspect ratio needs to follow suit in order to maintain the overall diameter of the tire. A 245/50R19 has roughly the same diameter as a 225/55R19 tire, they are 0.3% different is size, not enough to matter. That 0.3% difference will mean that at 70mph on the OEM tires will be 69.8mph on the new size. 0.2mph difference is not going to be noticed by anyone, even police and radar guns! Now a 245/55R19 is 3.1% larger diameter and 2.2mph faster. Granted not a huge jump but it will be noticeable.
    I said 8.5". You're insane if you put a 245 tire on anything under an 8" Rim, there are no benefits to be had if it "fits".

    Do you want the tire to just "fit" or do you want it to fit perfectly? The choice is yours, but if you want the footprint of a 245 tire you need a wider rim.

  9. #9
    Registered Member finch204's Avatar

    2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    1,081
    I understand that 245mm is not optimal on a 7 inch wheel, but we are talking about a CX-5 here, not a performance car. I'm not going to autocross it anytime soon. If Continental, the makers of tire itself say it will fit on a 7 inch wheel, then that's good enough for me. The tire's tread width will only be 1 inch more than the wheel, so it should offer protection for the wheel. The DWS06 also has a stiffer sidewall, so I'm interested to see how that will work with the 7 inch stock GT wheel. If anything, I can always go with a wider wheel later if I feel like the handling with the 245 width tire is significantly affected.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  10. #10
    Registered Member

    CX-5

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    23
    Post pics when they are mounted - I'd be curious as to how they look on the stock wheels. I'm running 245/50/19's (Pirelli PZero Nero's) on a 19x8.5 wheel, and it fits nicely.

  11. #11
    Registered Member finch204's Avatar

    2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by luwin1026 View Post
    Post pics when they are mounted - I'd be curious as to how they look on the stock wheels. I'm running 245/50/19's (Pirelli PZero Nero's) on a 19x8.5 wheel, and it fits nicely.
    Will do. I would prefer to get 19x8 or 19x8.5 wheels also, but I just don't have the budget for it.

    Anyway, tires were supposed to be delivered today, but we got hit with a winter storm in the Midwest and that has delayed the delivery.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  12. #12
    ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

    '16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Bluff, CA
    Posts
    3,311
    Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    Will do. I would prefer to get 19x8 or 19x8.5 wheels also, but I just don't have the budget for it.

    Anyway, tires were supposed to be delivered today, but we got hit with a winter storm in the Midwest and that has delayed the delivery.
    Wooohooo.... Excited to see them mounted up! I too used the DWS on my MS3, and was satisfied with them.

    If you store your new tires in your vehicle until mounting day, you will regenerate that new car smell inside your vehicle...
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

  13. #13
    Registered Member

    CX5

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    155
    Also interested in how it works out. I am thinking DWS06 for the next set since they were great on our old car. Currently have Sumitomo HTR A/S P02-W in 235/55/19.

  14. #14
    Registered Member finch204's Avatar

    2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    1,081
    Tires are getting mounted and installed tomorrow.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  15. #15
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    central illinois
    Posts
    9
    I put Conti DWS06 in 245/50/19 on our 17 CX5 . Factory pizza cutters . no issues with mounting , balancing . MAJOR difference in how it handles ! No more body roll and sway , great bite and improved steering input. Makes it a totally different car ! Have 5000 miles on them and they're wearing even all the way across the tread ..I couldn't stand the factory Toyos.
    I've ran DWS's on my Speed3 , and Volvo V70R with great results on wet and snow covered roads. They're a great tire for the money . You'll be happy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone running 215/55/16 tires?
    By syncro87 in forum Mazda5 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
  2. What tires are you running now?
    By markmdz89hatch in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 04:15 PM
  3. Anyone running these tires?
    By livelyjay in forum Pics & Builds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 11:50 PM
  4. Anyone running 215/45/17 tires?
    By dcbeggs in forum Mazda MP3
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 04:06 PM
  5. 225/40/18 tires anyone running these
    By mp3josh in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 06:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •