Anyone Running 245/50/19 Tires?

:
2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT
Looking for new tires for our 2016 CX-5. Not really a fan of the tires available in the stock 225/55/19 tire size. So I was looking at an alternate tire size, 245/50/19. Is anyone running tires in that size? If so, what tires are you running and how does your CX-5 drive?

At the moment, I'm looking into getting Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires, in 245/50/19 for my CX-5. I have these tires on my Speed3 and they are pretty good, but I don't know how they would feel on a CX-5.

I would stick to 245/55/r19, but youll be fine choosing 50 if you drive over smokth pavement.

I would stick to 245/55/r19, but youll be fine choosing 50 if you drive over smokth pavement.

245/55/r19 has a little over 3% diameter difference over stock, which is more than I want. I try to keep the difference below 1% when going for alternate tire sizes; the difference between stock and 245/50/r19 is only 0.3%. That said, for those looking for slightly taller/bigger tires, 245/55/r19 seems like a good size and should still fit on the stock wheel.

------------------
I emailed TireRack this morning and asked them about my plan to go DWS06 in 245/50/r19. Customer service rep said that it should fit well and they see no problems going with that setup. So I'm most likely going that route. Bonus points is that the DWS06 tires cost only $145, versus the Continental True Contact tires in stock size that costs $167.

245/55/r19 has a little over 3% diameter difference over stock, which is more than I want. I try to keep the difference below 1% when going for alternate tire sizes; the difference between stock and 245/50/r19 is only 0.3%. That said, for those looking for slightly taller/bigger tires, 245/55/r19 seems like a good size and should still fit on the stock wheel.

------------------
I emailed TireRack this morning and asked them about my plan to go DWS06 in 245/50/r19. Customer service rep said that it should fit well and they see no problems going with that setup. So I'm most likely going that route. Bonus points is that the DWS06 tires cost only $145, versus the Continental True Contact tires in stock size that costs $167.

Well in that case you should be fine, but keep in mind that a 245 width tire is way too wide for your OEM wheel which is only like 7 or 7.5 inches. I'd get 8.5 or even 9inch aftermarket wheels if you want a 245 tire to fit comfortably.

Keep in mind that the OEM tire size is indeed 55/r19 which is meant to work with your speedo, current final drive ratio, etc. But if you've done your research then you're good. Just don't forget that typically tire companies all have slightly different sizes, so for example a 50 sidewall might look more like a 45 in comparison to other tires, so make sure you look at the tire you want in person before deciding.

Yes I had 245-50-19 Continental DWS06 on Fast Wheels 8.5x19 I guest.
Phenomenal grip not harsh at all.

I strongly recommend against it. A 225 tire fits well on a 7-8" Rim. A 245 tire will fit, you just won't get the footprint of a 245 tire unless you get a wider rim... Think of it as a balloon effect, the tire will be a little stretched over the rim which will degrade performance.

Some people say it will fit, and it will, just not optimally. I recommend following this chart as close as possible for an optimal tire fitment.

2qi1vud.png

Well in that case you should be fine, but keep in mind that a 245 width tire is way too wide for your OEM wheel which is only like 7 or 7.5 inches. I'd get 8.5 or even 9inch aftermarket wheels if you want a 245 tire to fit comfortably.

Keep in mind that the OEM tire size is indeed 55/r19 which is meant to work with your speedo, current final drive ratio, etc. But if you've done your research then you're good. Just don't forget that typically tire companies all have slightly different sizes, so for example a 50 sidewall might look more like a 45 in comparison to other tires, so make sure you look at the tire you want in person before deciding.

Will you just stop it already! Go back to the Mazda6 section. Your information in almost always totally bogus! Case in point, you recommend the OP get a 9" wide wheel to go along with the 245/50R19 tires he's looking at. The specs for the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 say that recommend rim width be between 7"-8.5" so you are wrong in saying he should go with a 9" wide rim. Again, you are miss informed on tire sizes and aspect ratios. Someone already pointed out that just because the OEM tire is series 55 doesn't mean that only a 55 series tire can be used. If the tread width is getting larger or smaller, the aspect ratio needs to follow suit in order to maintain the overall diameter of the tire. A 245/50R19 has roughly the same diameter as a 225/55R19 tire, they are 0.3% different is size, not enough to matter. That 0.3% difference will mean that at 70mph on the OEM tires will be 69.8mph on the new size. 0.2mph difference is not going to be noticed by anyone, even police and radar guns! Now a 245/55R19 is 3.1% larger diameter and 2.2mph faster. Granted not a huge jump but it will be noticeable.

Will you just stop it already! Go back to the Mazda6 section. Your information in almost always totally bogus! Case in point, you recommend the OP get a 9" wide wheel to go along with the 245/50R19 tires he's looking at. The specs for the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 say that recommend rim width be between 7"-8.5" so you are wrong in saying he should go with a 9" wide rim. Again, you are miss informed on tire sizes and aspect ratios. Someone already pointed out that just because the OEM tire is series 55 doesn't mean that only a 55 series tire can be used. If the tread width is getting larger or smaller, the aspect ratio needs to follow suit in order to maintain the overall diameter of the tire. A 245/50R19 has roughly the same diameter as a 225/55R19 tire, they are 0.3% different is size, not enough to matter. That 0.3% difference will mean that at 70mph on the OEM tires will be 69.8mph on the new size. 0.2mph difference is not going to be noticed by anyone, even police and radar guns! Now a 245/55R19 is 3.1% larger diameter and 2.2mph faster. Granted not a huge jump but it will be noticeable.

I said 8.5". You're insane if you put a 245 tire on anything under an 8" Rim, there are no benefits to be had if it "fits".

Do you want the tire to just "fit" or do you want it to fit perfectly? The choice is yours, but if you want the footprint of a 245 tire you need a wider rim.

I understand that 245mm is not optimal on a 7 inch wheel, but we are talking about a CX-5 here, not a performance car. I'm not going to autocross it anytime soon. If Continental, the makers of tire itself say it will fit on a 7 inch wheel, then that's good enough for me. The tire's tread width will only be 1 inch more than the wheel, so it should offer protection for the wheel. The DWS06 also has a stiffer sidewall, so I'm interested to see how that will work with the 7 inch stock GT wheel. If anything, I can always go with a wider wheel later if I feel like the handling with the 245 width tire is significantly affected.

Post pics when they are mounted - I'd be curious as to how they look on the stock wheels. I'm running 245/50/19's (Pirelli PZero Nero's) on a 19x8.5 wheel, and it fits nicely.

Post pics when they are mounted - I'd be curious as to how they look on the stock wheels. I'm running 245/50/19's (Pirelli PZero Nero's) on a 19x8.5 wheel, and it fits nicely.

Will do. I would prefer to get 19x8 or 19x8.5 wheels also, but I just don't have the budget for it.

Anyway, tires were supposed to be delivered today, but we got hit with a winter storm in the Midwest and that has delayed the delivery.

Will do. I would prefer to get 19x8 or 19x8.5 wheels also, but I just don't have the budget for it.

Anyway, tires were supposed to be delivered today, but we got hit with a winter storm in the Midwest and that has delayed the delivery.

Wooohooo.... Excited to see them mounted up! I too used the DWS on my MS3, and was satisfied with them.

If you store your new tires in your vehicle until mounting day, you will regenerate that new car smell inside your vehicle... (headbang)

Also interested in how it works out. I am thinking DWS06 for the next set since they were great on our old car. Currently have Sumitomo HTR A/S P02-W in 235/55/19.

I put Conti DWS06 in 245/50/19 on our 17 CX5 . Factory pizza cutters . no issues with mounting , balancing . MAJOR difference in how it handles ! No more body roll and sway , great bite and improved steering input. Makes it a totally different car ! Have 5000 miles on them and they're wearing even all the way across the tread ..I couldn't stand the factory Toyos.
I've ran DWS's on my Speed3 , and Volvo V70R with great results on wet and snow covered roads. They're a great tire for the money . You'll be happy ...

Tires were mounted, balanced and installed on the car last Saturday. Wife drove the car home from the dealership and I drove behind her. The wider tires look good on the CX-5. It makes it look more sporty. Sporty like a sporty BMW X3 or X5. I really like how they look on the CX-5.

The drive home was an uneventful drive on city roads. Speeds never exceeded 45 mph. Asked my wife what she thought about the new tires. She said she didn't feel any major difference from the stock tires, except that the car felt lighter when taking off from a stop. I asked her how it corners and she said it didn't feel that much different from the stock tires.

I got to drive it Sunday and took it on the highway and some curvy on/off ramps.
  • The car does feel lighter when taking off from a stop. Don't know the weight difference between these new tires and the stock GT tires. And to be honest didn't even consider that as a factor in purchasing these tires.
  • I cannot tell if there is more or less body roll. My judgment is clouded by the fact that I'm expecting there to be more body roll, because 245mm tires on a narrow 7 inch wheel, but I honestly cannot say for sure that there is more or less body roll. My guess is that the stiffer sidewall of the DWS06 tires is able to compensate for the relatively narrower wheel. Although it must be noted, that Continental has specified that the DWS06 tires in 245/55/r19 size will fit on a 7 inch wheel.
  • With regards to the stiffer sidewall, it didn't seem to negatively affect ride comfort at all. In fact, these new DWS06 tires are more comfy than the stock tires and I feel like they absorb bumps better than the stock tires. Of course the stock tires were probably worn down at 26k miles, but still this is a welcome change.
  • Cornering grip, even when the tire is new, seems pretty good. Accelerating from a stop while taking a right hand turn is much improved even on wet roads.
  • Tire noise seems to be decreased. When I rode in second row I felt like all I could hear was wind noise. My wife also mentioned that the car was quieter when she rode in the second row. Not that the 2016 CX-5 was a pretty loud car from the inside, but again this is another welcome change.
In conclusion, I am extremely pleased with how this turned out. I was worried that the 245 width tires would be a little too wide for the stock wheels. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be the case. The car's handling has not been negatively affected at all. Since I am a fan of the 2016 GT Vampire fang wheels, I'm more than happy to keep it with these new tires. I don't feel like I need to get wider wheels for it. These tires are cheaper than the Continental True Contacts and way cheaper than the Michelin Premier LTX, which makes me think these tires are a great bang for the buck purchase for the CX-5.

Looks great. Thanks for the photos.
Visually, and from your comments, it would seem that any worry about the wheels being too narrow is unwarranted.

Back