Anyone Running 245/50/19 Tires?

Looks great! Thanks for the write up. I was on the fence about ordering these and found a rivet in the sidewall yesterday. I will post pics when they are on!

Great update, thank you. We have the Continental DWS06 tires on two of our other cars and are very happy with them. Will have to look at upgrading the CX-5 when it's due.

Been running these tires for over 2yrs... no issues whatsoever. I think they're quieter/smoother than stock too.

Hi Guys

Just wanted an update from anyone who has been running this setup still and how their cx-5's are performing.
I have not changed my tyres yet as they are still ok for now.

A set of new tyres will cost me $1300 USD and i can only find MICHELIN LATITUDE SPORT 3 and BRIDGESTONE ALENZA 001 in South Africa
If i stick with 225/55/19 i can get them for about $800 USD excl fitting
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4 SUV, MICHELIN LATITUDE SPORT 3, YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR G055 H/TS and GOODYEAR EFFICIENTGRIP SUV

I have also spoken to the local rep and he indicated that 245/50/19 can fit on the 7j rim
See below spec sheet of Lattitude tyre

I'm still in 2 minds to go with original size and get the latest MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4 SUV tyres and use the spacers instead which will cost $250 USD
or
Just outright by the 245/50/19 tyres without using spacers

Both have pros and cons, but i would prefer the option which would have the least affect or wear of the vehicle, i.e. transmission, bearings, etc.

Would love your opinion guys which one would be better in the long run.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hqsls8ry01ta3q/lattitude%20sport.PNG?dl=0

Last edited:
Both have pros and cons, but i would prefer the option which would have the least affect or wear of the vehicle, i.e. transmission, bearings, etc.
Pick the lightest tire.

Edit: Looking at the spec sheet for the Lattitudes, it looks like your best option there would be a 235/55R19. They're close to the lightest tire that would reasonably fit the CX-5, and they'd also have the advantage of making your overall gearing taller, so that your engine is turning slightly slower for a given travel speed.

Last edited:
Pick the lightest tire.

Edit: Looking at the spec sheet for the Lattitudes, it looks like your best option there would be a 235/55R19. They're close to the lightest tire that would reasonably fit the CX-5, and they'd also have the advantage of making your overall gearing taller, so that your engine is turning slightly slower for a given travel speed.

I hear you mate and would like to go that route, but i have a Diesel Auto AWD system which is not advisable as it's not within 1% of recommended OD.
Do you suggest otherwise then?

See below pic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ln1otm1td05cuut/OD.PNG?dl=0

Would love to hear your opinion

Make no mistake i would not mind going the 235/55/19 route if you can convince me otherwise.

Can you also expalin this to me, sorry for being ignorent

"they'd also have the advantage of making your overall gearing taller, so that your engine is turning slightly slower for a given travel speed."

Last edited:
If you're only replacing two tires, then yeah - you need to stay within 1% of the other tires. If you're replacing all four tires, the AWD system doesn't know the difference.

And as for your second point, sometimes the best way to learn is to ask questions.

The 235/55R19 will have a lower revs/distance rating than your stock tires. This means that the axle shaft is making fewer revolutions for the same distance traveled down the road. Your entire driveline from the axles all the way back up to your engine will be turning more slowly at the same ground speed compared to your stock tires. You're not likely to notice the error in your speedometer (~1 kph at highway speed) but if you're concerned about longevity of your other components, it does provide a benefit, there.

If you're only replacing two tires, then yeah - you need to stay within 1% of the other tires. If you're replacing all four tires, the AWD system doesn't know the difference.

And as for your second point, sometimes the best way to learn is to ask questions.

The 235/55R19 will have a lower revs/distance rating than your stock tires. This means that the axle shaft is making fewer revolutions for the same distance traveled down the road. Your entire driveline from the axles all the way back up to your engine will be turning more slowly at the same ground speed compared to your stock tires. You're not likely to notice the error in your speedometer (~1 kph at highway speed) but if you're concerned about longevity of your other components, it does provide a benefit, there.

Thanks for your feedback Lee, it's much appreciated man. I'm on a learning curve

You saying if i replace all 4 tyres that the AWD system won't recognize anything as long as all tyres are the same. I thought this applied to the overall OD reading from the stock tyres compared to the 235/55/19?

Ah, so you the 235 will put less strain on the whole drivetrain to the engine as the rolling of the tyres is a shorter distance and car will drive faster then it should.

So why is everyone so adamant to have everything closest to stock...... hmmmm

I can't really blame Mazda for putting the warning in the owner's manual that you shouldn't change tire size - I've seen some wildly oversized tires put on vehicles, and that can be very bad for equipment. Your stock wheel and tire weighs about 27 kg. There are plenty of wheel and tire shops that would gladly sell you aftermarket equipment that not only weighs 10+ kg more per wheel, but drastically increases your rolling diameter. This puts more strain on suspension components, leading to failures. Owners will try to get Mazda to pay for the damage they cause, and neither Mazda nor their dealers want to deal with that. Greatly increasing tire diameter will also slow acceleration noticeably, leading to more customer complaints. It's not like Mazda can just say in the manual "Be reasonable when replacing wheels and tires," nor can they give a table of acceptable replacement sizes, since then somebody will inevitably replace only one pair of tires with one of the listed sizes, and end up damaging their AWD system. It's far easier for Mazda to just say 'Don't do it' and be done with it.

I can't really blame Mazda for putting the warning in the owner's manual that you shouldn't change tire size - I've seen some wildly oversized tires put on vehicles, and that can be very bad for equipment. Your stock wheel and tire weighs about 27 kg. There are plenty of wheel and tire shops that would gladly sell you aftermarket equipment that not only weighs 10+ kg more per wheel, but drastically increases your rolling diameter. This puts more strain on suspension components, leading to failures. Owners will try to get Mazda to pay for the damage they cause, and neither Mazda nor their dealers want to deal with that. Greatly increasing tire diameter will also slow acceleration noticeably, leading to more customer complaints. It's not like Mazda can just say in the manual "Be reasonable when replacing wheels and tires," nor can they give a table of acceptable replacement sizes, since then somebody will inevitably replace only one pair of tires with one of the listed sizes, and end up damaging their AWD system. It's far easier for Mazda to just say 'Don't do it' and be done with it.

I've decided to stick to stock tyre then, this whole conversion seems too complicated and I'm not willing damage my drivetrain.

Going to get the Pilot Sport 4 and get spacers, 25mm front and 30mm rear.

Wheel-size.com is actually a good indicator

See pics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0btumr92017jzab/IMG_20190924_182314.jpg?dl=0

Actually says 235/55/19 and 245/50/19 fits on the CX-5 Akera versions. Only difference is that it says it will fit on a 7.5j rim.

So we basically all good then with either Lee
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/cx-5/2015/

Does this change your mind wrt your above comments then (bow)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcjttd17thr3acw/IMG_20190924_185228.jpg?dl=0

235/55/19 is just 1.6% off, basically just out by 0.1%. Doubt that would make any difference

245/50/19 is just out by -0.3 which is perfect, but everyone is not comfortable with that bulging effect

Last edited:
I'm not sure what would change my mind - I said that a 235/55R19 would fit just fine on your Akera, as long as you're replacing all four tires.

When wheel-size lists 7.0" for a 225/55R19 and 7.5" for a 235/55R19, they're giving the standard wheel width that's used in measuring mounted tire dimensions. I'm not entirely sure what's up with them giving 8.0" for a 245/50R19, since that size's standard measuring wheel is also 7.5" wide.

I made a thread a few years ago where I listed the acceptable wheel width range for every size I could find that fit the first-generation CX-5. That information is still valid if you want a quick reference to determine whether a given size will fit your stock wheels.

I'm not sure what would change my mind - I said that a 235/55R19 would fit just fine on your Akera, as long as you're replacing all four tires.

When wheel-size lists 7.0" for a 225/55R19 and 7.5" for a 235/55R19, they're giving the standard wheel width that's used in measuring mounted tire dimensions. I'm not entirely sure what's up with them giving 8.0" for a 245/50R19, since that size's standard measuring wheel is also 7.5" wide.

I made a thread a few years ago where I listed the acceptable wheel width range for every size I could find that fit the first-generation CX-5. That information is still valid if you want a quick reference to determine whether a given size will fit your stock wheels.

Ok cool, thanks for the advice. The price of the 235/55/19 are the same as the oem tyre and actually more options.

Which of these options would you choose as a top 3
https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyres#searchresults

It will stick out 5mm from the arch, maybe I can use 15/20mm spacers at a later date if needed to

I just put 235/55r19 on mine, Firestone Weathergrips. They are a 4 season tire good for 100,000 km I like them, the ride seems to be improved and handling is better than the stock tires also. I bought them from the dealership so there shouldn't be any issues as afr as size difference is concerned.

Which of these options would you choose as a top 3
Im not going to be a lot of help with model recommendations. Theres not a lot of overlap between what you can get there and whats available in the States. The only ones that I see on Errols site that Ive seriously considered are the Pilot Sport 4 SUV and the Falken Azenis FK510. Maybe check out http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ - I think theres a lot more options available in Europe that you could also get there.

Wheel-size.com is actually a good indicator...
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/cx-5/2015/
After having the chance to play with the wheel-size calculator, I'd say that it's better than a lot of tire calculators you'll find on the 'net, but it's far from perfect. The first big issue I see is that when they give a backspacing number, they're giving the inboard extent of the tire's bead, not the flange of the rim. The actual backspacing number will be about 13 mm higher than what they state. The bigger problem is that they don't account for the fact that a mounted tire's dimensions will vary based on the width of the wheel upon which it's mounted.

I've often suggested that anybody who wants to learn about tire sizing should start by reading a few of the articles on Tire Rack's Tech Center. Barry's Tire Tech is another good resource that goes into detail on why things are the way they are with tire and wheel sizing.

After having the chance to play with the wheel-size calculator, I'd say that it's better than a lot of tire calculators you'll find on the 'net, but it's far from perfect. The first big issue I see is that when they give a backspacing number, they're giving the inboard extent of the tire's bead, not the flange of the rim. The actual backspacing number will be about 13 mm higher than what they state. The bigger problem is that they don't account for the fact that a mounted tire's dimensions will vary based on the width of the wheel upon which it's mounted.

I've often suggested that anybody who wants to learn about tire sizing should start by reading a few of the articles on Tire Rack's Tech Center. Barry's Tire Tech is another good resource that goes into detail on why things are the way they are with tire and wheel sizing.

So the 235/55/19 is still the best option ito price, available and lighter tyre.

I thought you were changing your mind again (attn)

Going to replace in 2 months

Back