Valve stems

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
I don't like the cheap valve stems they put as part of new tires. Any recommendations please - installer allows me to carry-in mine.

i haven't looked closely, but i suspect the valve stem is part of the tpms module. you may not be able to change it.

I don't have TPMS - its 2016 CX-5. So asking.
I need short stems. The ones given by the installer I use are cheap Chinese made / really cheap and I have had to change 1 and I think the 2nd. one's leaking. For me I like going to this installer due to reasons beyond this thread however they allow carry-in of stems ; thus wanted an opinion.

AFAIK, rim hole sizes are basically the same. Based on my experience, it's the type of rim that matters. Metal rims are thinner and have a different angle compared to magwheel type.

Take a look at Gorilla Automotive items at Amazon. Better than the cheap Chinese valve stems you're getting at that shop.

I thought ALL USA Mazdas were required to have a TPMS. Ed

They do. The USA law requires it on vehicles sold in USA after from MY2008 onward.

bmninada is referring to the fact that he does not have a DIRECT TPMS sensor inside the tire/valvestem because his CX-5 instead has the IN-DIRECT TPMS system which uses the ABS wheel rotation sensor.

As far as stems, I never had an issue with bad ones, but I have always been happy with rubber products made in Japan or France. They seem to have less plastic content, and better longevity than other countries rubber.

Last edited:
Back