Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Thread: Smart Key Won't Unlock Doors?

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 6s Grand Touring

Smart Key Won't Unlock Doors?

Hi all. I am new to the forum. I searched for smart key problems but couldn't find a thread that specifically addressed this problem. I have a 2010 Mazda 6s Grand Touring. The smart key (push button start, not switch blade fob) does not lock/unlock doors or open trunk. When I press the button on the outside door handle I get about 10 rapid beeps from the car. The car also consistently beeps whenever the driver's door is open. I also cannot lock the doors with the button inside on driver or passenger door when the car is off, it locks then immediately unlocks all doors in the car. The only way to lock all the doors is to slide the key out and insert in door handle and manually lock once outside of the car. The push start works fine though, I don't have to insert the key into the ignition to push the button. The small red light on the key does light up whenever I press a button. I switched out the battery but no luck. Does anyone know what this problem is? I don't mind going to the dealership to get it repaired but I want to know what I'm walking into so they don't try to get over on me. Any help is appreciated!

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Where is your other fob?
    Very likely it remains inside the car.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

Hi Ceric, thanks for responding, but no, the other fob is not in the car, it's on my husband's key ring.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

The other possibilities:
    1. one of the 3 outside sensors is bad. (2 in front doors, 1 near the trunk)
    2. maybe the ECU is bad. However, you can start the car. So, I am guessing #1.

Can you lock and unlock from the passenger side?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

No, I cannot unlock any doors or open the trunk by pressing the buttons on the fob. The only way to lock/unlock doors is to slide the physical key out and insert it into the keyhole on the driver door. The trunk however will open if the fob is near it and I press the button on the actual trunk near the license plate. Maybe its the sensors?

Registered Member

***Update*** Took the car to the dealership to have factory recalled airbag inflator replaced and went ahead and had a full electrical diagnostic performed. Found out it is a faulty passenger rear door actuator. The car can't tell that door is closed so it won't lock with the fob. There is no indicator on the instrument panel showing a door is ajar. The part has been ordered and I'm waiting for it to be replaced. I was warned however that that is just the first indicator and all of them in each door could actually need replacing but it is impossible to tell until each is replaced one at a time and the problem still persists. *Fingers crossed this is the only one*